As a host don't offer too much

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

As a host don't offer too much

As nice as most guests are, at times I feel I just can't keep ahead of what they consider is theirs and what is mine. Sometimes  I feel this is the most full-proof and foolproof way to host........

autopsy-tables-morgue-antique-clinic-78463116.jpg 

Nothing there a guest can steal or break, plus they get the uniqueness of an 'out of body'  experience!

Despite the fact I point out the wine in a small 1 dozen wine rack is not complimentary...does not form a part of the hosting agreement, it's like the library of books, I don't expect guests to walk out with a bundle under their arm....... I am consistently losing a bottle or two of wine. I had one over-nighter who plowed his way through 3 bottles. When I challenged him about it, his reaction was, "I am paying for it, might as well make the most of it'!

A guest came into me some time ago asking for a bandaid strip, she had cut her finger. I told her there was a fully stocked medicine cabinet in the bathroom,

and she said to me, she had looked, but it was empty!

IMG20180315212607.jpg

I couldn't comprehend that, granted I don't check it every turnaround but it was well stocked and I asked to have a look for myself (after giving her a bandaid strip) and sure enough....empty, not a bloody thing left in there, even the scissors, tweezers, gone...just left with a big empty box! Why would someone do that?

They take what ever cakes of soap they can lay their hands on!

I put a block of chocolate out for each guest, I get them at a really good price from our local supermarket and I buy them in lots of 2 dozen at a time, costs me about 70c per block.....

IMG20190707144057.jpg

One guest got into the restock cupboard and.....my 2 dozen chocolate bars turned into 15, probably thought any more than 9 might be pushing the choke a bit but up to 9 wouldn't matter!

Each time this happens I learn a bit from it, tighten the security a bit and make sure I do a bit more checking each time I service the listing. But this is all time consuming, we should not have to do it, why can't we just trust people?

Well last review revealed yet another weakness in my checking regime! I provide as part of the library about 400 DVD's and CD's that guests can watch and listen to. Here is that last review......

B&K review.png

I had never even given a thought to checking every DVD and CD sleeve each turnaround but, it appears it's either that or just remove them from the listing.

I am stuck because a high percentage of my business comes from the homeliness and atmosphere of what I provide. I don't want to go back to a ' bare bones'  listing but I am being constantly reminded that trust is not the wisest of attributes for an STR host to have!

What are others experiences with this?

Cheers.......Rob

35 Replies 35
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Robin4 It's good to see this post as a host I'm constantly going through this evaluation process. While some guest may appreciate a bottle of wine, you have to consider that at least 10%, probably more, have already quit drinking or trying to, so looking at a rack of wine will constantly trigger urge to drink, anther 10% will want more than one bottle once they start drinking. I think that would lend to underlying frustration with some guest, or they wonder why you are putting wine in their rental unit that they can't touch? 

Maybe a bluetuth speaker and they can use their phone? Either remove first aid box or just put a few things in there. You are right there if they need anything, although no one has asked for a baidaid. 

In general I think its all about finding a natural area. All of these things would lend to say 10% of guest taking some kind of issue with it or not clear enough boundaries, while 10% love it and the 80% don't care. I find that guest don't even appreciate any food being left in the rental, and I only make myself available if they need something, which they almost never do. 

What impressed me about your listing is that its a private unit and the outdoor space is very nice. Love the pic of the dog. 

There are a of different approaches. I'm surprised mine is going so well. I try to just keep everything natural and don't take any risk, and do the things that are expected of me beyond what is expected. 

The fex extras I do offer, such as pass for county park at the beach, is something no one would take issue with, as they don't have to use it and wasn't mentioned in the listing. But if some guest were forgetting to return it I would stop offering it. I have a lot of shortcomings but do realize that any time you try and do a favor there is some risk. I'm going though the exact same process but with the booking settings. 

Anyway just another perspective. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@John5097 

John, you say 80% don't care.....I can't agree with you, I find it's a two way street, they either love what we do or, they give me a 3/4 star for value and take advantage of me. More than 80% are a delight to host, 10% don't have an opinion or don't consider it worth leaving a review and those remaining few percent are the ones that challenge me.

I am not trying to be the worlds friend but having done a lot of travelling I know what I appreciate  when I am staying somewhere other than home and that is what I try to provide for my guests here. 

Your comment at the end John sums it up perfectly.... 'any time you try and do a favor there is some risk'

You just have to weigh up if the risk is worth it!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4 @I was just saying I wouldn’t leave out bottles of wine if it wasn’t for guest. Also I was just saying that some guest may not appreciate the gesture if they are recovering alcoholics. I have never included alcohol or box of chocolate bars. No one has stolen anything (one usb charger) and have never gotten below a 5 star overall review. My guest love it. So must be doing something right. You did ask for other host experience and I was on topic. 

Just a few suggestions from another host who takes slightly differnt approach. By all means do what works for you. No biggie. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Robin4  Nice to see you, Rob.  Your opening made me laugh.  🙂

Reading your post made me understand why I listen to the Dateline podcast regularly - I need to hear about really bad behavior to put my occasional annoying guest into perspective.

The guy or gal who hires someone to kill their spouse before even bothering about a divorce probably rates worse than the guest I had this summer who shouted at my gardeners not to speak to their dog.  (Well, maybe - maybe not.  They were the same ones who wouldn't open the screened windows because there were insects outside on a summer night.  It's not inconceivable they'll end up on Dateline someday.)

The worst thing is discovering this stuff later.  You do feel betrayed.  I always want to say, "Just ask me!"  I had a hot-water complaint this summer, but the guest refused to let either the caretaker or the emergency plumber in (of course it was a Saturday night - and the hot water miraculously returned when they checked out).  Months later I was there and the plumber came by, shaking his head over that lady who wouldn't let him in because she was nursing.  Of course!  It's a no-child listing and they snuck a baby in.  Yet I've had other guests bring infants in arms and it didn't bother me because they simply asked first.

As for stuff, what are you gonna do.  I leave full bottles of gin, vodka, and whiskey and tell people to help themselves.  I don't have to re-stock very often, but someday, someone will probably put it all in a suitcase.  I'm sure there's a study somewhere showing the different ways people behave when told they can have something vs. when told they can't have something.  

But still, it's disappointing, and as hosts we rewrite our rules and manuals to cover all manner of things thought we shouldn't have to say.  The lists gets longer and it all feels like a burden to the guests, who stop reading after awhile.  The bad stories stick with us, so the good stories, like your elderly Japanese jazz pianist, need to be re-told.  I wish I'd been there that night.  Wow.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72 

Ann, it's that your trust has been betrayed, we ended up getting rid of the houseboat. When guests are in your property and there is nobody within miles to be accountable to, the things that happen break your heart. Dollars talk, loyalty and prudent behaviour take a back seat I am afraid. My feeling is maybe you have experienced that to some extent in Maine!

Hope all is good with you over there in NY, possum!

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4  Things are good here, thank you!  My oldest and I are leaving tomorrow to drive across the country for her move to LA.

If being a remote host was disastrous, I would have stopped doing it long ago.  There's a cost-of-doing-business aspect to it, of course.  I'm surprised at how few issues I've had and how much people leave things alone. The key for me is to linger over any bad behavior just long enough to learn from it 🙂

Oh no! You got rid of your houseboat, @Robin4 ? Understandable, though, from the miles-away perspective. The backyard is easier, CDs and wine racks excepted. 

I've been struggling with what I call the 'pandemic guest' but maybe it's just me, the pandemic host. One way or another, it's getting too much. No nice chocolate for that bunch. 

After my last booked-up day (next May), I have blocked the calendar while I think about what to do. I'm coming down hard on the side of giving myself a break.

But then last night our current guests posted photos on instagram, tagging our treehouse account. They waxed poetic about the place, and have come close to melting my heart, blast 'em. So we'll see. 🙂

I've listened to murder podcasts while doing turnovers, @Ann72 . Not ideal for the alone-in-the-woods cleaner, but, yes, it does help with forgiveness of the odd picnic in bed or burned blanket. At least they haven't left a body behind.

Yet. 🙂

I took a break late this summer, @Lawrene0.  I went up in mid-August and kept the calendar closed until the first of October.  I was cringing every time I heard the Airbnb notification on my phone and knew I needed a break.  Much better now.

I listen to crime podcasts so much that when I asked my garage guy to have my car detailed the other day, I walked away thinking, "They're going to think I'm covering up a crime!"

Normen0
Level 10
Canada

@Robin4 It sounds like your place and offering is much like mine.  I have books, games and CDs. I used to have wine. I offer chocolate on arrival and sometimes homemade desserts or wine on special occasions. 
I took the wine out of the rack and filled the rack with pretty coloured glass bottles because it’s caused me so much angst when people overstepped.  
How I manage leaving things that could be stolen or taken in my AIRBNB= I don’t leave anything that I would miss.  
I’ve come realize I have too much stuff.  So, any books, CDs etc that go into my AIRBNB must be something that I will not be upset about missing.  
i removed storage of extra toilet paper, soaps etc. i made sure there is enough plus one of anything a guest may need.   I try to maintain a mindset, if someone takes it, they must need it more than me.  Of course this would exclude furnishings, electronics etc…
Don’t put your guests in the position to fail you.  

Brian1613
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

Robin:

I think that the solution is a better mix.  

1. Don’t keep things, in the rental, that you don’t want consumed. Or lock them up;

2. Price into your rental price consumption of some niceties.  We leave a box with snacks, and welcome cookies. Sometimes a bottle of wine, for a couple with a special occasion. If they want more, other than the wine, which we can’t sell, then we charge them accordingly. I had a family where the kids loved my little coco-dot cookies so much, that mom and dad bought another dozen for the rest of the vacay. We never lose a dime. We gain lots of friends.

3. We used to have some artifacts, and other dressing that we put into the listing, or the odd coffee cup, or two, “borrowed.” I put prices on all of those kind of items, and put a little card, next to them: “Take Me Home for $85.”  No one touched them again. 

We branded our coffee mugs, cappucino cups, etc. We sell them as souvenirs.  They do move. One guy broke one, accidentally, and brought the cash down for it, based on the price in our guest book! 

Having a Square, or other easy POS, allows you to turn what has been a frustration, into a center of profit. Other than alcohol, there are a lot of other cool services, and goodies, that you can sell, or offer, priced into the rate.

So the answer is quite the opposite. Don’t get mad: MAKE MONEY!

Brian Ross

@Robin4 

First - thank you for that first photograph (A morgue?). It was perfect.

On the other things, I have some high shelves where I keep extra supplies and I'm thinking of using a locked closet for the rest for that reason. You want to put out nice things but then there are just "those" guests who help themselves. I have found all my bandaids gone and my gold nail clippers (they were dull so the joke's on them). Never occurred to me to check my DVD's and one day I'll have to put the jigsaw puzzles together since a guest reported one piece missing in a small one.

It never ends does it. We have amazing guests then there is that one entitled set that thinks life owes them something and the lower than hotel cost rates includes everything that is not locked down.

I'm even losing pillows. PILLOWS! And I lost my cell phone charger back-up. So I got a labeller and a sharpie and started marking things with my number.

What a ride! Hugs....C

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Robin4  our first-aid kit also gets missing regularly so now I just leave a few bandages and that's it. Some guests think it is OK if they use and take everything that is provided, they would probably take our fire extinguisher as well if it is not so heavy and bulky 😄

I am sure your reviews would be great and your guests would be happy with 1 bottle of wine the same as with dozen 😉

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Robin4  That's unfortunate, but I have to say, that leaving a case of wine in view of guests while telling them not to use it is somewhat asking for trouble.  We've just never offered wine because it seems too taste specific.  We stick with a good supply of pantry items and a 'surprise' gift of some type of baked good for the last night of the stay. Maybe once we left some prosecco for a couple who told us they were on their honeymoon.

We have taken out all of the extra supplies and cleaning stuff we used to store in the unit, but by and large probably 98% of our guests, fingers crossed, don't take any items like the spices or the first aid kit.

We did for a while leave complimentary phone charges for guests to use but even with our name written in indelible ink they still continued to disappear so we no longer leave them for guests.

I do wish I could figure out how to provide a cheese plate in a cost effective manner, but maybe our area is a little too big for the kind of mom & pop deals that @Robin4  has worked out with area stores, because I imagine that is a big 'wow' factor for guests.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Robin4 How the heck are you buying Lindt chocolate so cheep?! Here in the U.S. it's around $4 a bar ... probably close to $7 by Christmas. Consider yourself fortunate 😃