As a host, how do I make an alteration?

Kanani2
Level 6
Albuquerque, NM

As a host, how do I make an alteration?

After receiving a request for a reservation, and asking a few general questions of the proposed guest, it seems that they will need to change their reservation from 1 person to 3. 

I have yet to accept or decline her request. 

Should I just ask her to cancel her request and re-book?
Is there a URL for the host to make these changes, or is this handled on the guest end?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kanani2,

The guest can cancel the request and sent a new one (re-book).

Otherwise you have to accept and then change reservation afterwards.

The change then is sent to the guest for confirmation.

(changing is an option on every confirmed reservation)

Or the guest has to change the confirmed reservation.

I would opt for option 1 (re-book)

Best regards,

Emiel

I have done it both ways.  Told the guest to cancel the request and request again with the correct number of guests and told the guest I would accept the request but then would send them a change request to the correct number of guests.  I would not do the second option unless the guest had messaged me back and agreed to accept the change.

The second way is more secure for the guest.  If they cancel and try to rebook then another request could sneak in ahead of them.  I have had this happen.  I was having a discussion with a guest (an inquiry.) During the discussion a request came in.  The site wouldn't let me decline the request or preapprove the inquiry.  The two things blocked each other.  I had to call Airbnb to fix the situation.

The first way is more secure for the host.  You are not accepting a reservation you know is incorrect.

Either way if the reservation is for just one guest then you don't need to allow the others to stay so the guest is going to have to either cancel completely, cancel this and rerequest, accept your change or stay only by themselves.

Kanani2
Level 6
Albuquerque, NM

Thank you everyone. 

I'm finding the AirBnB site interface not exactly intuitive or user friendly!  In all honestly, it's a little clumsy, but that's up to their programers to keep refining!
@Emiel1 That's exactly what I did, and luckily, the situation that @City-Limits-Ranch0 had did not happen!

Best, Kanani