As a host, what happens if i don’t review a guest?

Answered!
Willow8
Level 3
Ericeira, Portugal

As a host, what happens if i don’t review a guest?

Hey fellow hosts, 

Just had a pretty terrible guest who I’m sure left a negative review (which is awaiting my review) and I’m hesitant to leave one at all, or do I go with a neutral one even tho in truth I don’t recommend them?

Do I then write a public response to their negative review, assuming they did so? Or, what happens if I don’t write one at all -does theirs also not get posted? 

Thanks in advance for your advice! 

1 Best Answer
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Willow8

I think @Fred13 suggestion is great. I go with him.

In additon or as an alternative, I have an idea to test. Anyway, I have never done what I am going to say.
If you are sure the guest is going to write an unfair and negative review you could leave something like the following: "I strongly recommend reading my response to this guest´s review by visiting my listing page (Title of the Listing) or by visiting my profile page".

Maybe  it is kind of a checkmate! And of course, give the guest a thumb down!

View Best Answer in original post

71 Replies 71

@Sandra856  That is true, in that if both write reviews before the 14 day period is up, say on day 5, both of the reviews will then appear. But the guest's review will still be posted for the host to read after 14 days if the host doesn't review. There is no way to see a guest's review until it is posted.

@Sarah977 I don't understand why you think I think that the guest review won't get posted? Or why you think I think I can see the guest review before it is published? Did you read Dixis question and my answer in that context? 

Hello

This is an interesting quandary. I think Airbnb should allow a response from hosts for at least 24 -48 hours after the guest has left a review during the "final" hour which happens 14 days after check out.  A bad review at the last moment for a super host has an impact. We are superhosts because we care and take pride in our hosting jobs. We should be allowed to respond- some reviews can be completely off kilter and not reflect the reality of what transpired.

@Rebecca7  ??? You have 30 days to leave a review response.

Karen1921
Level 2
Polegate, United Kingdom

Hi Sarah977,

I'm in a similar situ to the original post in that I feel I have received a bad review... not because I've done something wrong but because I had to pull my guest up twice in 3 days for a: leaving the bedroom windows open, locking the door and leaving the house so I couldn't go out and b: after me leaving a note to say I'd be out all morning, I came back early and found they'd made themselves comfortable in my kitchen (not an advertised shared space during COVID) and broken my £1200 Quooker tap! I called them and they denied it saying it was working fine when they used it as they'd looked up on the internet how to use it. Upon asking what was wrong with the kettle in their room, they said 'nothing, it's just we were downstairs!'

So question is... if I don't review within 14 days, can I review AFTER I've seen theirs or will my opportunity expire?

Thanks!

@Karen1921  No, you can't review after. You should read the info re reviews on the Airbnb site. Reviews are blind- neither you nor the guest can see each other's review until both are published, and once they are, the review period is over and they cannot be modified.

If you leave honest reviews for your guests, what the guest happens to write is immaterial to that. No one should base their reviews on what the other party might write, but on their actual experience.

Karen1921
Level 2
Polegate, United Kingdom

Thanks Sarah977. In the end I did a basic review and scored 2 on the Observance of House Rules. She gave 5 stars in the end! Probably embarrassed I'd caught them. I've since tightened up my listing description. 

Thx all - interesting post.

Dixie7
Level 10
Dunsborough, Australia

Hi Sandra, thanks for your response. You understood my question perfectly well and your answer is what I'd hope would happen. However, I did not review a guest earlier this year and she reviewed me and I'm pretty sure Airbnb did not notify me of this before the 14 day window had closed. I've just thought of a possible reason why Airbnb didn't notify me and that is the guest may only have reviewed me at the 11th hour. Anyway, I'm testing the waters with my last guest to see what happens. Thank you again

Hi @Dixie7 🙂

I'm glad you could use my answer. I'm afraid it could be misunderstood. English is not my native language. In my experience like @Ian_Janice0 I get notified automatically when a guest leaves a review. Best, Sandra

@ Janice

I am notified right away that the guest has left a review and reminded to review them if I havn't. I also get a mewsage that both reviews are now public when we have both submitted a review. This is usually within the first few days of the check-out. THx

Dixie7
Level 10
Dunsborough, Australia

Thanks Janice, I hope Airbnb will do the same for me. I've just had a "Reminder to write a review for ...." but I'm waiting for Airbnb to say "Reminder to write a review for .... as .... has reviewed you" or something similar. I'll wait and see what happens and then I'll know for sure.

Lorna73
Level 2
Lingfield, United Kingdom

Reading through this article is very useful thanks Rachel0 and Robin4 great ways to deal with challenging guests and keep professional and informative for all.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Willow8This is what I would do, and looking at it from only your point of view.

1. Leave them a standard review on the 14th day, at the 'very last hour'.

2. Leave them a 'short & sweet' one:  'Guests came and spend 5 days' and (perhaps give one example of what disaster they were). No drama novel. Of course - Thumbs down. Airbnb is known to remove negative reviews by hosts if they get too 'heavy' against a combatic guest.

3. When their review goes up publicly (14th day), your response to THAT one is the most important one, because that is the one your future potential guests will be seeing. If you like, bring what they say here, and we be happy to help.

Remember - a negative review, even by a lunatic, it is an opportunity to sell yourself, your place and look good. 😉

Hi @Fred13 in case the guest already provide review at day 1st after checking-out, referring to your first point above that 'at the very last hour' of the 14th day, I will write my review to the guest. At that hour when both review goes public, do I still can provide response to the guest's review 14 days ago ? Do appreciate your response, due to annoying guest that I have recently. Thanks