As a host, what happens if i don’t review a guest?

Answered!
Willow8
Level 3
Ericeira, Portugal

As a host, what happens if i don’t review a guest?

Hey fellow hosts, 

Just had a pretty terrible guest who I’m sure left a negative review (which is awaiting my review) and I’m hesitant to leave one at all, or do I go with a neutral one even tho in truth I don’t recommend them?

Do I then write a public response to their negative review, assuming they did so? Or, what happens if I don’t write one at all -does theirs also not get posted? 

Thanks in advance for your advice! 

1 Best Answer
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Willow8

I think @Fred13 suggestion is great. I go with him.

In additon or as an alternative, I have an idea to test. Anyway, I have never done what I am going to say.
If you are sure the guest is going to write an unfair and negative review you could leave something like the following: "I strongly recommend reading my response to this guest´s review by visiting my listing page (Title of the Listing) or by visiting my profile page".

Maybe  it is kind of a checkmate! And of course, give the guest a thumb down!

View Best Answer in original post

71 Replies 71
Valerie177
Level 2
Longueuil, Canada

Hi, when you have negative guest its important to tell them.  For the comment, even if you dont let one, after 14 days the comment they put on you will come public.  If they put thing at is negative you can answer to them and tell your version and people can also see the comment you put.  Sometimen i have guest that do something i dont realy appreciate but are not necessary negative guest but i put it so other host know what hapen.  If you put a comment or not that dosent change that they can put their coment aniway. 

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Until recently, @Willow8, nothing happened when a host didn't review a guest. 

Now, with the new way of assessing hosts, there is the option "Trips reviewed" - the minimum over there is 50%.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4 wrote:

Until recently, @Willow8, nothing happened when a host didn't review a guest. 

Now, with the new way of assessing hosts, there is the option "Trips reviewed" - the minimum over there is 50%.

This is not about hosts writing reviews.... it is the percentage of your guests who write a review of YOU!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Willow8

You should try and write a review so that other hosts get a warning and know what to expect. Just something very simple would do like "did not follow house rules and cannot recommend". And if it was terrible as you say, give a thumbs down and leave some more details in the section where you notify airbnb.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Do please write a review even if it is negative as other hosts deserve to know what this person is like.  You could say that "He/she is more suited to hotel accommodation" and that will get the message across.  If the guest writes a bad review about you, don't be tempted to write a long public response as that only draws attention to the bad review!  

This is a GREAT suggestion.  Thank you so much Rachel.

Lorna73
Level 2
Lingfield, United Kingdom

That's really helpful, as I have a guest who barely communicated and treated the house like a hotel - which is a bit challenging when the guest room is within the home and want to ensure the guest has all that they needed - I felt like I was being nuisance and def will use you "He/she is more suited to hotel accommodation"  - I like that.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Willow8

You are emotional at the moment, probably a bit deflated about the whole idea of hosting because of this experience.

You must write a review!

If you do not write a review and your guest does, after 14 days the guests review will appear on your review page. The beauty of the review system is we do (both host and guest)  get the opportunity to respond, but only if we have also left a review. If you don't review the guest you will have forfieted the right to respond publically to the guests review in the form of a public review response. So Willow, don't just do it for us, do it for yourself!

Keep the review short and generic, don't accuse the guest of anything specific because if you do, the guest will possibly have your review removed, and it then does you no good at all.

Say something along the lines of...." Xxxxxx may not understand how Airbnb works and is possibly better suited to a hotel than a hosting environment. I wish Xxxxxxx all the best for the future but would decline the opportunity to host her/him again!".....and just leave it at that Willow.

When the review comes from her/him, if it is vitriolic don't cross swords with them! Just say...."I value all my guests feedback, after all that is the only way we can improve....by listening to our guests. In this instance I would like others to read Xxxxxx's review and then read my other 62 reviews! I think this guests review says more about them than it says about me, I still wish them well"!

That way Willow you will remain dignified and stay a conciliatory host...the sort we would all like to know.

Cheers........Rob

Dixie7
Level 10
Dunsborough, Australia

Hi Rob, here's a question for you. I've ploughed through a whole lot of comments but I haven't been able to find the answer to my question so I thought if anyone knows, it'll be you ... "When it's getting close to the 14 day expiry date and the host hasn't left a review for a guest, does Airbnb notify the host that the guest has left a review?" Love to hear what you have to say.

@Dixie7 Whenever a guest leaves a review and when the host hasn't left one airbnb will notify the host that the guest has left a review and in order to read that review the host has to leave one aswell.

@Sandra856  Sorry, but that's incorrect. If the host doesn't leave a review, the guest's review will still be published on the host's profile 14 days after check-out. So, yes, the host can see it whether the host writes a review or not. But if the host doesn't leave a review, they then can't respond to the guest's review, if they wanted to. 

Hi @Sarah977 🙂 Yes, I know that. As I read it @Dixie7 asked if a host is notified when a guest leaves a review? Before the 14 day window is closed and when the host hasn't left a review yet. Maybe I misunderstood the question? 

@Sandra856  I was just responding to what you wrote - "in order to read that review the host has to leave one aswell."

@Sarah977 Yes, I tried to answer the question. This is an email from airbnb telling me that my guest Sonja reviwed me. It says that I can read Sonjas review of me when I have reviewed her. Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 03.02.26.pngScreenshot 2018-12-06 at 03.02.36.png