As hosts we are not equipped to deal with guest with mental health issues

Mila1127
Level 2
Washington, DC

As hosts we are not equipped to deal with guest with mental health issues

Hi Everyone,

We have a guest that has significant mood swings which goes from hyper-communicative to complete shut down. During those "down" times she tends to wear a coat outside in 100 degree heat which resulted once in her collapsing in the street and a neighbor brought her home. During those episodes she takes our food and drinks which wouldn't be a big deal if she asked us. She exhibit some other behaviors that we didn't find comfortable either. When we tried to talk to her during the period when she seemed better about the whole situation she minimized it, didn't share anything with us or admitted to anything. We do not feel threatened by any means. But we are worried and don't feel equipped to deal with this situation. We host in our home and we have another guest now as well. We haven't brought it up with AirBNB yet. Any advice on the matter would be very much recommended as she has over a month of stay with us.

15 Replies 15
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Mila1127,

I am not a medical professional, but your guest sounds like she is bipolar, and not taking her medication consistently.  It's your decision to continue hosting her, but if you do, know that you assuming the role of a care-giver.

@Mila1127  this is probably not what you want to hear, but if you are in DC you are now in a landlord/tenant relationship (after 30 days) rather than a host/guest relationship. Guests who have mental health issues may be difficult enough to deal with, but a tenant with mental health issues that is in your space? Much tougher to remove.

I would probably rethink my business model altogether and not offer any stays of more than a few weeks. I would talk to the person and say that you don't think its a good fit and offer to find her other accommodation. Keep Airbnb in the loop. Give her a refund. Dodge this bullet and really do some research on how to keep yourself out of this situation both by screening very carefully and knowing your local tenancy laws. 

@Laura2592  Does the right of tenancy apply before the first 30 days of the stay have elapsed? 

@Anonymous after. Provided there is no lease set up, this host is still in the clear if the person has been there less than 30 days. I know Airbnb pings me constantly with its helpful suggestion to offer monthly discounts and longer stays, but we are experienced landlords and know better. In most jurisdiction in the US, the landlord/tenant laws kick in anywhere from 28 to 30 days. Many states are very tenant friendly. As someone who had to evict a renter from a beloved apartment in Washington a few years ago, I would encourage hosts to brush up on the law in their area. DO NOT be swayed by Airbnb's encouragement to host people longer than 28 days. DO NOT get seduced by the promise of more earnings. One eviction will cost thousands more that you would earn with the stay as well as put your property at risk.  Be smart and do your due diligence. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

Adding onto @Laura2592's comments about tenancy laws in the US, Congress is currently reviewing/negotiating the extension of the CARES ACT until the end of the year, including the eviction moratorium.  

I recommend that all hosts tread cautiously into the realm of long-term stays.  It has been reported more than once that Airbnb will not notify hosts in a timely manner if there are problems with collection payments from guests.  Hosts usually don't find out until they've not received payment, sometimes weeks/months later, and the guest has been staying in the place the whole time.  If the eviction moratorium is extended, and a host has a mortgage backed by a federal agency such as Sallie Mae, Fannie Mae, or HUD, they may have no legal recourse to remove the non-paying guest/tenant.  Also, Airbnb doesn't collect a traditional security deposit, and hosts are at their mercy for reimbursement of damages.

@Laura2592   Agree 100%. Airbnb does not provide any of the services that landlords need to facilitate long-term tenancies without a stupid amount of risk. 

If they wanted to get serious about converting to a landlord-friendly model, they would supply full names with ID and background/credit checks for long-term bookings, and charge an actual deposit. But they're banking on hosts being so desperate from months of financial loss that they're persuadable to absorb risks that could cost them their livelihoods and homes outright. 

@Anonymous right you are. There are all kinds of things they could do to support hosts who want longer stays. But like many ideas for improvement, such suggestions are ignored when current leadership seems to be focused more on apology tours and PR clean up.

That said, I think its nothing short of irresponsible when I get these "suggestions" to offer longer stays. There are many many reasons longer stays don't work for me, but the least significant is certainly not the possibility of going through an expensive, lengthy court procedure to get my erstwhile tenant out. You better believe Airbnb won't be hiring my attorney or mediator. I find it shocking that so many people dive in to long term stays without any knowledge of how unprotected they truly are. There are plenty of stories on the news about guests turned squatters and the nightmare hosts had to go through. Even if the OP's guest is harmless there is no way I would spend another minute with a person like this in my home, much less allow the stay to extend to a point where she suddenly had a legal right to be there. It boggles my mind that this platform encourages hosts to do this without any sort of disclaimer or guidance.  

Thanks for the advice. We are not worried she will overstay though. But good to know and 30-day rule.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"But we are worried and don't feel equipped to deal with this situation."

That is the vein you should take up with Airbnb, and maybe they have a good suggestion and the methodology to change the situation. 

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

@Mila1127 Firstly, I’d like to say thank you for asking for advice, rather than reacting negatively to the guest involved in your situation.

I’ll break my reply into two parts, first part is easy. I recommend you look at your local laws and make a conscious decision about hosting and the time periods. Remember that the rights given to longer-stay guests has come up a lot on this forum, and invariably, in places where they become tenants, it can become a problem. Personally I haven’t experienced it, and prefer long-stay guests, and I even offer big discounts to encourage it, but there’s enough comments to make me believe it could be an issue.

Second issue is more complex. First thing I would say is that those of us who suffer from mental health issues don’t always perceive the world in the way neurotypical people do, even when we appear “fine”. It could turn a reasonable conversation from a concerned host to someone prying, harassing, or simply feeling so uncomfortable that we shut down. That’s not your fault, but it may help to see the other side, since it’s harder for some of us with mental health issues to do that.

The second thing I’d say is that no two people experience mental health in the same way. Different conditions, personalities, experiences, genetics, medication all play a factor in a very complex situation. That’s often the reason for behaviours that would appear odd or unusual - were not reacting to the same perceived situation as you, and our experiences may have taught us to be cautious. Some good general points are to ask what helps that individual, demonstrate any commitments, and try to remain consistent. Mind is a UK-based charity which has some fantastic resources of which I genuinely believe everyone should take advantage - irrespective of what you do or where you are.

In terms of what you do in this situation? Ultimately, your guest’s problem isn’t yours, so it’s up to you. You could ride it out, write the drinks off as annoying but a deed that will earn you some good karma. Or you could ask them to leave, I mean, its low level, but it is theft (or would be here).

There is a welfare concern here, and whilst not your lawful responsibility, you’re a human, and they’re a human, and if we were talking about a broken arm, you know exactly what you’d do. It’s just that mental health is generally a little harder or unfamiliar for us to handle compared to physical health. If you don’t think they are well, encourage them to speak to a physician, or take them to a designated place of safety (that’s a UK name, but I’m sure every country has an equivalent). Even offering details for a organisation that signposts people to the right services can mean the world to someone in crisis.

Finally, and I don’t think you are, but for others reading this, always try to remember not to judge. It’s ok not to understand, and it’s ok not to know what to do. Ask for help, keep open lines of communication, and just do your best. You probably won’t change their whole world, but even a moment of kindness can give someone the strength and encouragement to survive one more day, and it will certainly contribute to a better future for everyone.

@Matt682  What a thoughtful answer to the OP's question.  Thank you - it's vital information should any of us other hosts need it.

I don't know if the US has anything like a designated place of safety.  I think we would bring a person who is suffering a break of some kind to an emergency room.  But I imagine this would very much frighten @Mila1127's guest as the next step might well be commitment to a mental health facility.  That might be the right next step, but it doesn't mean the person wouldn't be frightened out of their wits.

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

@Ann72 Ours are often A&Es too, which are equivalent to ERs. Not always the best place, but they do try to divert you to places that are better equipped. It’s definitely frightening. No matter what though, I agree.

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

I would kick their ass out and tell AirBnB you do not feel comfortable hosting this person. Simple as that. You have a right to host in situations you can manage but this situation sounds beyond your means.

@Mila1127  At the risk of sounding dramatic,  here are two suggestions based on NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness, a grassroots organization) from family experience, in case she seems to be "over the edge"  or out of touch with reality (possibly suffering a psychotic break). If she wants to run, don't get between her and the door. If she's in an altered state of reality you can't reason with her. Also, if her symptoms/behavior escalate, no matter how frightening her behavior may seem to you, she is probably even more terrifed. 

Maybe ask her for an emergency contact name/number? (Tell her Airbnb is now requiring this.) With delays in contacting Customer Service, you might be on your own if she got more seriously ill.   M.E.