Asheville New Home Stay Ordinance

Lizzy4
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Asheville New Home Stay Ordinance

I have 2 Homestays in Asheville, NC and I just received a note that the City Council  has made some changes.  The change that effects me is that you can have 2 rooms, but only one guest group can reserve them.  Meaning I can't have 2 separate listings for my 2 separate rooms with baths.  I am unclear why they care if my guests know each other.  I would like to get with other hosts in Asheville who also have this issue so we can brainstorm together how we can approach this.  I actually, based on the city ordinance 2 years ago, built a guest wing of my house and added another room with bath based on the rules.  Now they are changing and it feels unfair.   I am Lizzy.  I look forward to any connections.  Thanks

5 Replies 5
Florencia47
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Hi Lizzy, I would love to meet and tak about this with you. I am having similar issues. 

Hi Florence, as far as I know this is the one issue the city Council has taken off the agenda. I was so relieved to hear that. Are you a member of the Asheville host network? Right now I’m out and about, but I could put you in touch with the gentleman who sends out the emails. It’s very helpful and informative and a way to be heard.

Hi Litzy, I am in the Asheville area and am interested in being a part of the Asheville host network.

Lizzy:  We've been waiting for a full year now (after paying $208) to be approved by Asheville to host an AirBNB.  Our only problem is we have a single kitchenette sink in the unit, and I'm told the City Council is voting on this soon.  If you could put me in touch with the gentleman who sends out the e-mails, I would appreciate it.  Marty

Lynn5
Level 2
Boulder, CO

Different problem in Boulder.  STR Ordinance requires me to note my registration number and that I can only house 3 people unrelated including myself at the property at a time.  I did this and I was ticketed for putting up 3 listings.  They are intimidating me from advertising and causing me to  lose my visibility.  What's more I get it from the AIrbnb end too, since one of my rooms doesn't have a door.   Settings has only has "private room"  or "shared room"  choices.  Air said to call it a private room and designate under "Details" that it is semi-private space.  Then they changed their mind and said I have to call it "shared room" under settings.   That has reduced my visibility since it reduces the field for those seeking lodging under search criteria.  They could think they would have to share the room with someone else,  but I  rent it out to only one party.  Why doesn't Air just offer private,  semi-private or shared under settings?    I had someone cancel the same day of their reservation because the perception led them to believe their expensive clarinet would not be safe.  That's the last time I ask Airbnb to help.  They just claimed I had changed the room and failed to uphold host standards because I had put up a wall instead of a curtain.  The contractor had overcharged me and the door was not installed,  so I have a curtain in the doorframe.  Air had insisted I change my images because of the wall which I did,   but then they blamed me for not informing the guest who had booked far ahead of their stay that there were new images,  images they had forced me to replace when I constructed the wall.   I had never even thought about the guest that had booked way ahead.   What's more the guest only cared about their clarinet being locked up and  Airbnb was not the one that figured that out.   They were working more in the interests of the guest since they could just book them somewhere else.  All I had to do was ask the guest what they actually needed.  I had plenty of space to lock up their clarinet!

Lizzy,  the interesting part here is the discrimination.   I can have as many people as I want in my house if they are blood relations.  I don't believe in marriage and my kids are 34 and 35 yo. and live in other states.  But you have to have one group in your place,  whether related or not.  Do you have an occupancy limit?  Either way,  it seems like a lot of micro-management. 

Do you know why Ashville took it off the agenda?  That's a takings if they imposed that regulation.