Asheville's homestay permit process

David15
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Asheville's homestay permit process

Update on Asheville's procedures for registering a homestay?  Not sure when to get the process started.

I guess, since "Groups" is discontinued, this is the only way to communicate...

Thanks.

David B

7 Replies 7
April6
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Anyone know about the process for short term rental permit with property in the CBD?  Where could I go to get info?  Thank you!

Linda327
Level 1
Asheville, NC

I recently received a certified letter from City of Asheville, letting me know I have 30 days to pay a $208.00 fee and fill out an application for a permit, or shut down the listing in order to avoid 500.00 per day fines. 

I was unaware that I needed a permit, since I'm living in the home where the guests stay, but I'm aware now. 

My problem is trying to figure out all of the details. 

For instance, the application states that all guest egress windows and doors must be clearly labeled. My guest room is on the 2nd floor, so an egress window would have to have a ladder, I guess? (This I gathered from googling)

I have smoke detectors, but Carbon Monoxide detectors are also mentioned. Do I need these since I have an all electric home? No gas heat or appliances? 

If anyone out there has knowledge of this stuff, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it, as I've already bothered the office assistants to no end with questions.

Thanks in advance,

Linda 

Linda327
Level 1
Asheville, NC

You can start any time by accessing City of Asheville's Homestay Application and Submittal Requirements, but since they give you thirty days to get your place into compliance, some friends of mine are going to wait for their letters. 

Linda, I just receive a letter from the COA about violation of city ordiances. Have you had any sucess with the application process?

Michael

Does anyone know about whether or not the sink issue has been resolved?

Alice

Alice:  The sink issue is still dragging on.  They had a short meeting on Feb 11, and there is another City Council meeting scheduled for March 6, 2019.

Has the sink issue been resolved now?