Asking guest not to stain towels and sheets.

Magi-and-Connie0
Level 2
Sunny Isles Beach, FL

Asking guest not to stain towels and sheets.

We have 4 beautiful villas in Miami, so far we have had a great experience. However our biggest loss of income is the amount of cleaning and replacing bed sheets and towels. Most guests are great however we have  noticed that the younger folks specially girls are just a hot mess. They clean there make up with the White body towels and  also some use them to clean the floor. We even have cotton for them and a mop in the kitchen to use. The Bed sheets also end up all full of make-up stains and hair products. We have even tried to leave only 1 towel for each guest and no more. However there are those wonderful guest that even clean the towels.

We were thinking of include this in our house rules a part about towels and sheets.  If we do find them  stained start charging them. For us it just looks like a case of not giving a care and thinking our Villas are like a standard hotel that can be left a mess and staining all towels.

ANY IDEAS?

7 Replies 7

@Magi-and-Connie0

There are several posts on this topic which you will find by using the forum search or google.

Some hosts have provided make up removal pads,tissues etc etc and put up polite notices.

You should add as a separate note in your house rules about these issues in general. I do and also add a note about not putting wet wipes and plastics down the toilet. 

You could maybe offer to provide a "pack" of make up cleaning products for a fee..payable on arrival....if these guests dont want to travel wth them 

You could also consider a towel/linen deposit which you add to each booking..repayable if the towels are kept "stain free" ...depending on how much of a problem you have.  

Thanks great advise. Will do 

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

We had our sheets ruined by a guest who apparently went to bed with wet dyed hair.  We didn't charge them but looking back maybe we should have.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Like you, @Magi-and-Connie0, I like to use white towels and white bed linens.  I offer make up wipes and I do not have problems with stains.  Probably because I am here and my guests like me, they are more careful.  It is a more personal experience not a hotel-like experience. I wonder if guests had a connection with you on a personal level if they would be so careless.  Just a thought...

Thank for the info, we do live on the property and actully see the guests when they check in and if they need anything we are around. 

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Hi @Magi-and-Connie0 - I only host females and I bought a small plastic box of Neutrogena make-up wipes, wrote in Black Sharpie - "Make-up wipes for Guest Use" and put it out in a very visible place in the bathroom. This has seemed to stem the makeup on towels issue. Additionally, I use a taupe colored towel set and a navy blue sheet set- while I realize you may really like the aesthetic of white only towels and linens, there are some alternative classic colors that will not be nearly as much of an issue. 

The hair is a whole other thing and I can totally sympathize - I constantly pick up hair throughout guest's stay just so it doesn't pile up.

Good luck! 

John978
Level 2
Sherwood, OR

Maybe putting a sign in the laundry room that includes a photo of something damaged or anything that applies to your situation (could be a stock photo you can get from Google Images) that asks guests not to wash linens with their own clothing items would be a good start?  I'm not about charging guests for a towel or sheet and if it was a reoccuring event, I'd wonder what I could do better 1st as a host to remind them.  My suggestion is a nicely placed sign with a hospitality smile and see if that helps first to see if that reduces incidents of linen replacement issues.