Asking refund from a guest

Linghein0
Level 2
Waterloo, Canada

Asking refund from a guest

Hello everyone, this is Linghein from Ontario, Canada.

I have guest leaves in November last year, who leaves the room in a mess. I requested money from that guest for the cleaning. Guest declined it, I asked Airbnb involved in but never received any response. 

I received an email from Airbnb last week. They said I will receive a  refund for 65 USD in 3-5 business days.

Until now, I haven't received any refund.

I followed up with Airbnb this week. I received several emails from Community Support Member Sumiko, it sounds like Airbnb paid the guest 65.

emails are followed:

Sumiko R, Aug 15, 15:24 CDT:

Good afternoon Linghein,

My name is Sumiko and I'm a member of Airbnb's Community Support team. I'm reaching out to you because I received an email regarding a payout of $65. At this time I want to let you know that you should receive this payout to your default payout method.

Best,

Sumiko

Sumiko R, Aug 16, 09:57 CDT:

Good morning Linghein,

It's Sumiko again.

I do want to apologize. I had been reviewing this case I do see additional information that I hadn't noticed before.

This payout didn't come to you. The amount also wasn't taken from you. I do apologize if this is confusing.

The $65 USD was a payment to your guest, Tingjun. This came as a courtesy of Airbnb. I hope that this clarifies.

While it seems to me this matter is resolved, please feel free to reach out to me by replying to this email with any further questions or thoughts you may have—I'd be more than happy to help!

Sumiko

Sumiko R, Aug 16, 13:31 CDT:

Good afternoon Linghein,

It's Sumiko again.

I've been reviewing this case. Upon further investigation, the request for $65 from your guest is being denied. I am sorry for the disappointment in this news.

The reason behind this is due to lack of evidence of the damages, as well as the time of the reservation. While we do state that hosts can call in at any time, one year after the damages occur is a bit of a stretch.

While it seems to me this matter is resolved, please feel free to reach out to me by replying to this email with any further questions or thoughts you may have—I'd be more than happy to help!

Sumiko

Sumiko R, Aug 16, 14:10 CDT:

Hi Linghein,

That response was in regards to a refund the guest received for $65. I'm not the case manager for that issue, I can only see that it was given. However, the case manager chose that the refund shouldn't come from you. The refund was from Airbnb itself, as a courtesy to you as a host.

That is all the information that we are able to share in regards to this case.

Best,

Sumiko

==emails end==

I'm just wondering that the guest damaged my property. Airbnb paid 65 to that guest by mistake, and saying "This came as a courtesy of Airbnb"

Should I be thankful to Airbnb because didn't charge me for 65?

All the emails sound like I should be thankful to Airbnb. Becuase they're super kind so they will pay for this.

I'm getting enough with Airbnb on this case and I'm so disappointed.

I already took down all my listings after that.

"This came as a courtesy of Airbnb", it's the accent from a Community Support Member. 

Maybe for now, airbnb only take care of guests, because they paid more service fees.

1 Reply 1
Linghein0
Level 2
Waterloo, Canada

Update Aug 17

I received an email from the case manager after talking with @airbnbhelp on Twitter.

The problem is solved, apology accepted. 

I hope Airbnb would talk with a host more courteously, and use the word courtesy properly.