How should handle calls from Atlanta Zoning?

Kim33
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

How should handle calls from Atlanta Zoning?

I have an Airbnb (whole house) of several years in the heart of Atlanta and have just received a call from the City of Atlanta Zoning.

Seeking anyone with similar experience to share ideas and experiences on how to handle.

38 Replies 38

What happened when you called back and talked to them?

The rest of the story (happy ending) posted here:

http://www.airhostsforum.com/t/atlanta-city-zoning/3956

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Kim33  Can you share more details?  It would help us hosts to see how we can best help you.  Hope everything is ok. But yes, there are many cities that are cracking down on homeowners who rent out their entire hours in zoning areas of neighborhoods where its not allowed.  Especially for those homeowners who do not live in that city where their house is.  They are doing it quite a bit in Honolulu.  Its very important to find out what the zoning laws are in Atlanta too.  In Hawaii, the City and State are fighting on this issue because the state laws allow it but the City Zoning for neighborhoods say NO, unless the rental is for 30 days.  Whats sad is our governor had the chance to pass a bill yesterday allowing Airbnb to collect about $20MILLION...thats right..MILLION, from Airbnb just on taxes made off of Airbnb listings...now we have to keep collecting them from the travelers and that's no fun because they aren't aware of it UNLESS they read it on our listings which mine has....but most people sadly don't read.   Let me know how i can help ...if I can.

Best of luck to you and please let us know what happened.  Aloha From a Superhost in Hawaii, Momi  #LiveThere #LiveAloha

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Shafuq0
Level 1
Kennesaw, GA

Hi my boyfriend and I are going through the same thing and would like to talk to you.

Ryan-Elizabeth0
Level 1
Georgia, United States

Planning a to add a new house to AIR BNB in downtown atlanta,  does anyone know if there are any regualtions or licesnse needed? 

You will need a business license and a hotel license to operate as an STR in downtown Atlanta. 

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/how-list-your-home-airbnb-metro-atlanta-for-the-super-bowl/B8ZsPINcEs...

Trena2
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I'm having the same issue. I applied for a business license but they denied me and said it's no zoning for the city of Atlanta for short term leasing. They also had the wrong address listed on my property. I also sent them the article written by the AJC titled How to list your home on Airbnb in metro Atlanta for the Super Bowl. A representative from zoning is suppose to call me back today.

Yes this is true they said they don’t do business License for Airbnb at all. Sometime it’s best to just don’t ask if they not bothering you 

I was trying to do the right process. I finally received a phone call from the City of Atlanta and I was told that they don’t have any regulations governing Airbnb so that don’t allow it. I was told to call my council woman in district 4 because they said the City of Atlanta have to get legislative for Airbnb from the City Council. I called Cleta Winslow office and was told they don’t allow Airbnb in her district and asked if this in ALL of Atlanta and what area is it allowed. Someone from her office will call me back. I don’t know what to do because I bought my property with Airbnb in mind now I’m not legally able to rent my place. I need help.

I’ll buy it from you if you aren't comfortable renting it as Airbnb... I’m a cash Buyer here in Atlanta. 

Hey Jarrod, Do you have any properties for sale? I would love to see what you have in the future as well. *Sensitive information hidden*

Thanks

Simon

Hi Trena,

I live in Atlanta and want to rent out a garage apartment at our house for a short term rental. This will be my first time with Airbnb so want to make sure I'm not breaking any laws if I don't have a business license, etc.   I saw your post and was wondering if you ever got any clarification on that? 

You can email me if better for you direclty

**[E-mail address hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

.  I'd so appreciate the help!

it is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission but you know that now. >;-)

I just read your comment and while I am still learning this Airbnb process, what the city of atlanta said to you does not make any sense at all. They don't have any regulations governing it means they don't allow it. That could never hold up in a court of law.. Its the whole reason they make laws. So that there is some way to track what is right and wrong and hold people accountable. No laws means just what she said there are no laws against it.