How should handle calls from Atlanta Zoning?

Kim33
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

How should handle calls from Atlanta Zoning?

I have an Airbnb (whole house) of several years in the heart of Atlanta and have just received a call from the City of Atlanta Zoning.

Seeking anyone with similar experience to share ideas and experiences on how to handle.

38 Replies 38

Hey, did you ever get that call back?

Good morning.Did you get any updates on this matter.Iam also in the same boat as you.

Hello, I'm being told the same thing. Did you ever get any resolve?

Joy233
Level 2
Columbia, SC

I went to Atlanta City Hall 2 months ago and I was told that legislation was under review (found something from 2017 on the GA legislation website)  since a lot of people have concerns because of the Super Bowl coming to town soon. Now that election season is over, maybe someone will actually figure it out. If anyone finds anything, please post. 

Today I received a letter from the City of Tucker stating that I am in violation of a zoning code that does not allow short term rental. I’m supposed to correct this problem otherwise be subjected to a citation or in other words  a monetary fine $$$.  

I have been hosting for four years and it was this past summer where I had one Guest who did not obey House Rules and had twice as many people in my home plus a pool party at 3 AM Due to this Guest breaking the terms of our contract, the reservation,  and her irresponsible actions, brought my Airbnb to the attention of my neighborhood in a very negative light. This was the first time I actually evicted a Guest...she was supposed to stay one more night but I would NOT allow her do so and got her to leave with Airbnb’s help.  

Now I need to find out what my rights are as a property owner in Dekalb County.  

I am llicensed as a LLC, limited liability corporation, so I do pay business taxes. 

Here we go Atlanta, just like other cities who had to wrestle with this short term rental tax issue… Once the cities can get their Piece of the Pie  $$$ then they are usually happy to let us run our Airbnbs. 

WE NEED AIRBNB TO GET INVOLVED NOW! AND TO LEVERAGE THE ATTENTION OF THE 2019 SUPERBOWL ON THE CITY OF ATL 

edit

I would love to know your conclusion, I am also in Dekalb County, unincorporated Atlanta, between North Druid Hills and Clairmont.  If anyone has input it would be appreciated!!  

Hello Holly. I am in the same location as you, just started, am concerned and don't know what to do.  It would be great to stay connected. Are you paying sales and use taxes?  I'm about to/intend to  but not sure if causes a red flag.

Maria

Oh sorry about the tax question, no responce asked for.  Thx.

Hello Holly & Maria,

I (Jesi) am in the same boat in DeKalb County in Edgewood / Little Five Points. I airbnb my condo when I travel. I found these articles I am sifting through currently regarding zoning & Airbnb. My situation is different because I am in a situation with HOA vs Airbnb Hosts:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/853/atlanta-ga
https://www.ajc.com/news/local/how-list-your-home-airbnb-metro-atlanta-for-the-super-bowl/B8ZsPINcEs...

Please keep me updated if you find anything additional. 

Tricia, you're lucky they're allowing you time to "correct the problem". In Sandy  Springs I got citations for operating a boarding house and had to go to court.  They wanted to fine me $1,000. 

We had two letters. They will start enforcing fines, Sept first by going door to door. Good thing is, the guy enforcing it told me to take my House off Airbnb or else we would be fined. He also mentioned, they’ll be a lot of knuckleheads who will make $ for the city. Fines will bring $$$… it sucks but what choice do we have? I also looked into the city’s legislation. This issue won’t be solved till March of 2022. GA is slow, unlike NYC. They don’t want to hear Airbnb or Vrbo, even if you have a business license or pay taxes. 

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

edit

Jay77
Level 7
Atlanta, GA

Some years back we had a nosy neighbor on our block that hounded Sandy Springs code enforcement about the goings-on in our home. We received numerous citations for operating a "boarding house" and spent thousands of dollars fighting it in court. The rules were: no more than four unrelated people can occupy a home, and rentals must be for no less then 30 days. At the time they did not allow short-term rentals. That has changed now, but we still do not allow nightly rentals. All our guests must book  for 30 days minimum. Essentially it's the same process we used to do with Craigslist but now Airbnb is our marketing agent and we get a better class of "tenant".

Timothy178
Level 2
Chicago, IL

looking at getting a property in Decatur ..anyone familiar with zoning issues or other there?