August Smart Lock

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

August Smart Lock

Hello! Does anybody use the August smart lock? We just installed ours today. We have been using a traditional key box and now want to have the option to ensure that our front door is locked at all times by having the August smart lock. I would like to ask for some advice on how to introduce/explain it to guests (that have smartphone/compatible phone for it)? They must install the August app on their phone, right? I appreciate any tips! 🙂

31 Replies 31
Mythili0
Level 1
Vaughan, Canada

We have just installed AUGUST lock along with keypad as well.  I would like all the feedback on how best use it.

Can the keypad be used by the guests to lock the door behind them when they leave?  If so how?

I just installed the lock as well, but haven't used it for guests yet. The keypad can be configured in the app to allow guests to lock the door with "one-touch lock" by them pressing the August symbol at the bottom of the keypad.

I don't know how to use the keypad, but I did want to point out that I have the auto-lock feature, which sort of takes care of everything on my end...

@Mythili0 To answer your original question: yes, guests need to install the app. That associates their phone with the virtual key sent to them automatically by August. When they go in and out, it notifies you, the homeowner, of when they go in and out. It's really handy. 

Cedric52
Level 3
Portland, OR

I bought the lock as well. I'm going to call Airbnb if I cannot find an appropriate answer. The whole point is that this should be automatic and that's how it was sold to me. I'm surprised I'm having trouble finding a straight answer on this...

I got it working; I connected the account to my AirBNB account through the August app. Now, whenever anyone books my rooms, they get a key automatically: August sends them an automated email and instructions on how to set it up. It's worked pretty well and I've been happy with the product. Plus, I don't need keys anymore, but I can still use my key. 

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Well, @Farah1, we decided to add to our Kwikset collection by using the Kwikset Z-Wave lock in our Studio. We had several Kwikset locks throughout our home and decided (since we use "indigo" to control our home) that it would be easiest to set a timer to add their code to the lock upon check-in time (3p) and erase it upon check-out (10a). I am very techy and this is in my comfort zone. I didn't like to put the "you must installt his app" between our guests and entry into our home. They just needed the code I gave them. 

This is not to say August is not a great solution... I just didn't want to put a new system in the house for just the Studio we are AirBnB'ing.

Hope it works for you!

Elizabeth350
Level 2
Lancaster, PA

I have an August lock.

Unfortunately it has never worked for Airbnb guests!

I have had August helpdesk reset it to factory settings & completely reconnected with Airbnb. Both groups just to each other saying it's the other entity's issue.

You have to link it to your AirBNB account while you're in Host mode. It was tricky to set up, but it does work. I'm sure you're just missing a step in there at some point. 

Best of luck to you!

Sue-and-John0
Level 3
Salt Lake City, UT

I've only been hosting since June and this is the first I've heard of the August lock.

We installed the Kwikset SmartCode Electronic deadbolt on our front door. It has worked great. I send them a code in my welcome letter. I never have to worry if I will get a key back or if a key gets lost, I don't have to worry if they remembered to lock the door because it automatically locks. 

It holds multiple codes, I can change it whenever I want, I have a separate code for my family, and a separate code for my husband and I.

It's been the best investment! 

August is like that, except you don't have to send anyone anything. It's automatic from August's integrating with Airbnb. There's no codes to give... Just virtual keys tied to August accounts. It even manages check in and -out times. 

This was helpful as we are getting ready to become hosts and the room is actually in our home. I haven't been impressed with the external "lock boxes" I've experienced as a guest and have been debating on making the investment of changing our front door to keyless entry.

Veronica-and-Richard0
Level 10
Lebach, Germany

I found an letter about vulnerability of bluetooth smart locks

and august smart locks, so i dont will use them.

Artikel is from 2016 but i dont believe the sellers have improved security.

In the mean time the new devices of August seem to be more secure: MIT, May 24, 2017