Avocados

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Avocados

In the topic about@Huma0's Day in the life several of you have mentioned your love of avocados, so as to not detract from that topic Avocados deserve a topic of there own..

What price are avocados in your country?

Are they imported or grown and in season in your country?

What breed of avocados grow in your country?

Do you have an avocado tree in your garden?

How do you best like your avocados?

[@ mention updated]

59 Replies 59
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

I don’t have a problem with avocados except that I dislike their greasy consistency....but then what would I know ?

as a Scot whose idea of a salad is a Glasgow Salad= two slices of thick buttered bread filled with a packet of cheese and onion crisps ( poking fun at myself as a Scot and our diet rich in carbs ho ho ho)

No actually I’m lucky to have loads of fresh fruit and veg that I grew in my organic gardens.....could not resist poking fun at myself during this interesting avocado debate.

Now mangoes they are truly the fruit of the gods in my opinion!

@Victoria567, if you have a greasy avocado, it's too old.  It should be somewhat firm.

Your Scots idea of salad is lovely... and doesn't need avocado... it needs BYPASS SURGERY!

(KIDDING!!!!!)

BTW, this is not an avocado debate.  There is no debate.  Avos RULE.

As for mangos... oh, my... there's another precious thing.  Do you know the 'hack' of how to 'peel' one?  I avoided mangos for years until I learned this secret.

?

*)

Kim
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Kimberly54

Share your secret hack how to stop me hacking mangoes please!

@Victoria567and all, HERE IT IS!  Truly brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhNPeoQSyWo

OMIGoodness, how easy this is! 

If you love kiwis and also shied away from them, there's another great hack (google it--it's about using a spoon), and pineapples?  You really do need a simple tool, but if you want to make life SWEET and easy, get a pineapple core-er (how do I spell that?)  Simple twist of the wrist and VOILA!

Man, you can just ROCK a party showing up with the most AMAZING fruit salad!  Everyone thinks you spent hours on--NOT--and it is just gorgeous/delicious.  Throw in a couple of easy apple slices/banana slices, squeeze a bit of lime juice over it (tasty and keeps everything from oxidizing, and have a little shaker or bowl of cayenne pepper for people to sprinkle on if they like. (The lime and chili are tres Mexican, but delicious!)

Yummy AND easy!

Kim

Victoria, maybe start a topic on Mangoes, I bet you will draw in others from all parts of the world who may not be following this topic.

I love bread, chips ( as in potato chips) and marmite sandwiches, unfortunately all the salt reductions have changed the flavour over the years so they simply don't taste the same.

I also love homemade Mango ice cream which I used to make.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Oh @Helen427

When I finally reach your beautiful shores I’m going to try and book a stay with you......if you will have me.....Don’t believe a word about me being Atilla r

the Hen, it’s just to scare off more of the “ special” guests Ive experienced this season😉

Victoria you, and the others here in CC and your family, friends and associates are welcome anytime.

If you come in Spring/ Summer I'll make sure to have an endless supply of NZ grown Avocados!!

A bad one can put a person off for life, a good one can change your world and make you an addict for life!!

Ahh and who says we don't have alligators in Auckland??

Plenty of Alligator pears coming into circulation at the moment and we humans eat them fearlessly.

I might just start to strike up a conversation about them on my walks and at my local Green Grocer Ave supermarket to inject some humor around the place 😉😉😉

The children will love it at the library to!!

It will encourage them to eat there greens but maybe make them less fearless of alligators...alas that may be a good thing to..

@Victoria567 

Haven't seen you in CC for a while, miss your contributions.

I hope you are keeping well over in Scotland.

Maybe you have switched platforms, if so I hope you are doing well.

How's that beautiful garden?

Are you still making homegrown preserves/ goodies?

It would be nice to see your cheerful posts back in CC.

Awww, a chip butty..... 😍

But better with salt and vinegar crisps..... and maybe some avocado and salsa?

🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, what a topic @Helen427! Who knew so many of us love avocados. 

@Kimberly54@Victoria567@Cathie19@Letti0@Lawrene0@Sandra126

I think in the UK, they are about £1 each, so they're not cheap, but they are really popular here in the London. 

I stayed in a lovely listing earlier this year in California and in the garden there was a huge avocado tree, I couldn't believe my eyes. I was thinking that is a lot of guacamole, right there! hehe

(I hope you don't mind Helen, I've added the link in your original topic here) 

Does anyone have any good avocado recipes they would like to share? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Lizzie, when I'm on a computer I'll share with you and others some delightful recipes and other fascinating stories about avocados that I've found.

You may like to in the meantime look up online in historic newspapers about California about the history of Avocados, using all the names they are called by, as that in itself is something of note.

Maybe send the link to this topic to your hosts in the place that you stayed in.

California sounds like they have made great contributions to the growth of avocados internationally.

There are definitely avocado trees (a couple varieties) in my area, although I don't have one on my property. Have never researched the histtory of them in Mexico.

There is an avocado tree on a property across the river from me, I don't know exactly where it's located, but my dog does! In avocado season, I'll find them laying in my yard- she trots back with them. Because she has what they call a "soft mouth", she carries them really gently, there is often not even a tooth mark. If it's a good looking one, I tell her thanks, and eat it. But she actually brings them because dogs generally love avocadoes. Full of oil and high in protein. It's so funny- she'll put an unripe one on her mat, wait a few days for it to ripen, then eat it.

Super easy and delicious avocado recipe, great on a hot summer day- Cold Avocado Soup.

Throw a couple cut-up avos, some plain, unsweetened yogurt, some chopped garlic, lemon juice, a dash of salt and cilantro (you can leave out the cilantro, some people hate it, use fresh basil or any other herb) a handful of ice, and whizz in the blender or food processor. 

Smart dog, and SO much nicer then if trained to collect truffles!

you are winning here Sarah.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Cathie19@Letti0@Kimberly54@Ana1136@Valerie192@lizzie @huma@Sarah

The Avocado in New Zealand article from 1923 ( the period between World War 1 and 2) has a wealth of information including about Pohuehue, Warkworth ( where the Bohemian's arrived and created the area into what it is now more commonly caled Puhoi), Mexico, Guatemala, California, South Seas of Tahiti and Rarotonga, West Indies .

Don't choke when you read the price those before us paid but reflect on the life that those before us experienced in times we will never experience or live through..and thank our lucky stars we live in the world we do now.

The Avocado in New Zealand

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AS19230331.2.173.1

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lizzie 

@Huma

Has the price of avocados come down yet in the UK for summer?

Enjoy them whilst you can.