Avoid this piece of **bleep**

Avoid this piece of **bleep**

AirBNB Perth - avoid this person [Guest] **. [Guest] invited additional guests who were not paid for, had a huge party which contravenes our house rules, they parked on the lawn and broke sprinklers and left dirty handprints all over the wall and stole a towel. She is a piece of **bleep**

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

3 Replies 3
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nicky162 

Nicky, I am so sorry this experience has happened to you, it's every hosts worst nightmare that a guest like this is just around the corner.

It's not up to me to tell you how to host, you are, after all, a Superhost with 30+ great reviews behind you.

But Nicky, we can gain a lot of insight into what our prospective guest is going to be like by studying the introductory message they send!

Guests fall into two categories, Passive/complimentary......or Aggressive/demanding.

When someone comes to me and says, 'My name is Jan, my husband Bob and I have seen your lovely property, we are coming to Mt Barker for a short holiday and can't wait to stay' ........I don't want to do any more checking, they have told me all I need to know, they have not had any demands , liked what they see and just want to pay and stay! I know they will be great guests! 

When someone comes to me with a booking enquiry, 'We are coming to Mt Barker for a wedding, is there off-street parking, can I have the use of an iron to press our clothes, is it ok if we have a couple of friends over for a pre-wedding drink'!........I want to do a lot more checking before I commit to them! They have given me no indication of who they are, they have come to me with a series of requests and I don't know these people from Adam. It is my experience when the guest has questions that they would have found an answer to if they had read the house rules and listing description they are not going to be good guests to hosts. They have a level of entitlement, they expect you to yield to and each time you give into one of their requests, they strengthen their ground and weaken yours to the point where you will end up giving in to anything to get them out of your life.

Study that initial booking/enquiry message Nicky.....is it passive complimentary, or is it aggressive demanding! Most guests are great to host and you are not going to be penalised for the odd decline. You can always state the guest was not a good fit for your house rules. 

If you take a bit more time analyzing each reservation from the outset you will find you can bypass many of these problem guests! 

Cheers........Rob

Tom2861
Level 2
Whitefish, MT

Did you leave them a bad review.  That is the only way to really let other hosts know.  

And btw... I answer questions from my future guests all the time.  I appreciate them actually.  It gives me a chance to start a dialogue.  The best way to insure success with your guests is if they see you as a person and not just as someone renting their house.  Take the time to engage.   Every question they ask is a chance to start a larger conversation about their backround, why they chose your house, how the pandemic has affected them personally.   It's really what hosting is all about.  Human interaction.  So many just think "just rent my house and don't talk to me".   LOL  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

This isn't the place to name guests and call them out for bad behavior- as you can see, those personal identifiers were removed by admin, as they always will be. Also, this is a international English-speaking forum, so the chances of other hosts here ever getting a request from this particular guest are quite slim.

The place to warn other hosts is in the review you leave.

Sorry you had such bad guests. You don't have external cameras to monitor what is going on at the property?

@Nicky162