BAD experience

Sorina2
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

BAD experience

So this guy books my place for  about a month and a half and he books it far in advance.

The day of check-in, he doesn't show up or answer my messages and calls. The next day, he texts me saying " i know this is unsual but i won't have to check in until next weekend" I said ok just let me know when because you reserved and paid for the condo.

Next Sunday, i go and freshen up the place and start to message him early to see when he plans to check in. He says he isn't checkinf in until " later" and doesn't give me a time. I go there and wait and wait...and no answer AGAIN. Finally, he answers his phone and says "of i fly in late and probably will just stay at a hotel at the airport and will check in the morning". This guy doesn't ask me if and when i'm available to check him in, he just CHANGES HIS DAYS AND TIMES AS HE PLEASES. So i said uhmm ok..in this case i will leave the key somewhere and leave directions because i live more than an hour away and already drove here twice and you didn't show up. He says "ok cool". 

So i leave the key and directions, finally the next day in the evenings, he texts me that he arrives and that he needs a more advanced tv package with more channels. Note  i had the 200 channels package. I said fine so i upgraded it right away from my phone so he can get the requested channels , the 360 channels.

Then, about an hour or so later he texts me saying that the vinyl on my balcony split open, he thinks from the wind. So i ask him to send me a picture. He sends a video that shows the vinyl had opened in one corner so a little air was coming in the condo. I ask, is it cold or is that something urgent? He says the temprature is fine. So i offered to go with a handyman the next day to fix it or told him that i have tape at the condo and he can tape it himself if he doesn't mind. Tape would have been sufficient and that's how the company i used told me to fix it, NO BIG DEAL. So, my guest says ok thats fine. Well guess what, in the middle of the night i get messages from AirBnb that i need to fix the issue ASAP or my guest will cancel the reservation. I called my guest and told him i will go the next day to fix but that he needs to be there because i need the fob to get in the building. He doesn't answer all day again then finally ansewrs and says oh it's no big deal. So i thought ok everything is good. Well guess what again!! He calls AirBnb and says i didn't fix the issue and that he wants to cancel the reservation. Airbnb NEVER called me to ask what happened, they canceled the reservation and REFUNDED THIS GUY EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE WEEK THAT HE DIDN'T SHOW UP to check in. I have tried and tried to call AirBnb to talk to a case manager and all i'm getting is " Someone will get back to you" and it's been almost a month and it seems like they closed the case, they even sent me an email to review customer service, yet NOBODY HAS CALLED ME STILL!!

THIS IS ABSOLUTELT UNNACEPTABLE!!! Now i'm showing a negative balance saying i owe a month's rent! 

How can i talk to someone with a higer job since customer service is totally ignoring me??? Anyone know how i can escalate this ??

32 Replies 32
賢治-Kenji0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I honestly know how you full fill to tell the truth, what I understand about your situation is that you have a booking but your policy must be marked as strict and as the customer has the will to say he did not check in means that no many can be claimed from there at all. I would like to talk to you more if you would like to understand all the details as clear as possible?

I do have a strict cancellation policy. AirBnB refunded him everything and didn't even talk to me to see what actually happened

Hi Sorina,

sorry to hear your nightmare story, you've been duped. I remember reading tons of stories like yours on this forum, can't seem to find any right now. It's yet another scam going around whereas guests book (mostly longer stays), don't show up or cancel for whatever nonsensical reason and airbnb refunds them no questions asked. i would raise hell with them, i hope you have a paper trail (airbnb text thread) to prove what went down. try twitter @airbnbhelp, fb and call them again and again until somebody gets it.

United States and Canada+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

good luck!

Well the guest showed up after all but left after a night and got full refund even for the week that he reserved but didn't show up for. 

I'm guessing he just didn't need the place anymore so he had to find a way to get reimbursed . 

Not sure how I can raise hell if nobody listens . Customer service says "I'm taking notes and a case manager will call you" then nobody ever calls. Then after a few days they send me emails to rate customer service as if someone called me and now I get to rate them. It's so weird 

Hi, Sorina:

So sorry this happened to you.  I have GREAT experience with Customer Service on the front phone call.  I'm a Superhost for almost three years, and they are amazing.  However, last year, my guests stole ALL of my jewelry.  SAME experience as you -  Great sympathetic initial call - someone will phone you - email that someone will reach out - then NOTHING - then a "Since you didn't respond, we are closing your case."  This happened three times.  MUCH later, I found their actual email to reach out in the junk folder.  Now WHY, does every other blessed Airbnb email come to my inbox, but the critical followup on my most important issue goes to the junk folder? I eventually gave up, but it was supposed to be the same guy each time that was to contact me.  He needs either additional help or a new job. My best advice: DOG them.  Phone every day to that front line number. 

They should NEVER have refunded this guy without speaking to you.  Call them again, and tell them this is not acceptable, and at the very least, they need to restore your ranking. 

I hope it works out for you.  I think I'm going to call right now, and tell them this is happening.  Burns my toast - again.

Susan

It makes no sense, if it is a scam then if they stay a few days for free then complain and get a refund cool but if they do not arrive and get their own money back how is it a scam? What do they achieve?

Tone0
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I had a similar bad experience with Airbnb.  

I wanted to write here today to see if other hosts are experiencing what I am experiencing with Airnbn. I had a guest that booked a room, then he canceled by a mistake and then he asked if I could re-book him as it was a mistake and since I had strict booking policy.  I was kind enough to call Airbnb to reinstate him and to adjust the booking to entail 2 persons instead of one.  The person went ahead and canceled yet again and asked if he still had the room.  I asked this individual a few questions but he did not answer and then he started a case with Airbnb.  This person won and I am not sure what document he produced for Airbnb to override my cancellation policy.  But I was told by Airnbn that he had proper documents and when I asked to know the reason they said they could not tell me.  So I had to accept Airbnb's decision on this.

I accepted Airbnb's decision as there was nothing I could do other than saying I did not agree with them and for them to withhold the reason why they overrode my cancellation policy that is strict is wrong.   Airbnb kept sending me an answer that he had grounds to cancel.  Now to the real issue.  I just had a booking and Airbnb is withholding payment owed to me in regards due to something in regards to all this mess.  

I have been told that funds would be released and that Airbnb would be in contact and send me an email.  This is 3 days now and nothing from Airbnb and I am getting the runaround and I no Idea why they should keep funds from me.  The other individual canceled, I never received any payments so my question to Airbnb is, why are you holding up funds that should be released to me.  Nobody will answer me on the phone, I am speaking with individuals all around the world and I find this very disturbing that Airbnb has come to this where the hosts do not seem to matter. 

i have bee hosting for two years and I think customer service for the hosts at Airbnb is not as it was.  I remember I could call someone with an issue and things would be handled and an email sent to me right away.  Now, I am told, someone will call me,  I will get an email and nothing is happening.  Is other hosts experience similar situations and please I would love to get some suggestions. 

Thank you

Tone

I tend to agree, customer service for AIRBNB hosts is shocking.  The only way to communicate directly with them is through twitter or facebook.  If you try the "contact us" link it takes you to an FAQ page with absolutely no way to contact them even if your question isn't on FAQ.

As an AIRBNB guest, I find it great.  As a host.....well....

I have two numbers that get me straight through:

(415) 798-2174
(877) 532-2356

I gave up on them. Don't have the time or patience to wait for someone to answer and then tell the story over and over again only for them to tell me that someone will reach out to me and then nothing HappenS. 

I need to vent...

I just had lady cancel a $1100 reservation 2 days before checkin and she was given a 100% refund. The reason she cancled is she expected me to meet her for a late check in rather pick up the keys a short distance away. The fact is I probably would have done this but I didnt want to promise her and wanted her to know this would be a courtesy extended to her and not her right. Next thing I know I get a memo from Airbnb saying my guest cancled and I won't be penalized. Hmmmmm, I would call a $1100 loss a pretty stiff penalty! The problem I have is that Airbnb does not have our backs at all!

Their default policy should not be flexible. This is not in the host's best interest and it's easily overlooked. There is no warning when you create a listing and this is the result. This should be changed. The other issue I have is the case manager Joy said nothing about my policy being flexible and that the guest would get a 100% refund. Thirdly, this lady had no good reason to cancel yet they let her do this becuase it doesnt hurt them at all - they still get their fees! What a horrible way to treat the hosts (the lifeblood of their multi-billion dollar company)! By the way, I am a superhost - big deal! That and $5 gets you a cup of coffee at Starbucks! I want to file a small claims suit against the lady who just canceled on me. Anyone ever do this with success?

Hi Tone,

so sorry to hear about this frustrating experience. the whole thing doesn't make much sense, if this person never stayed with you, you never received a payment, therefore you shouldn't owe anything and no monies should be withheld. about the mysterious documentation, i would call again and ask for somebody highter up the chain and demand an explanation, i find it outrageous that airbnb wouldn't disclose what they base their decisions on, especially if it's costing you money (and time). i looked at your profile, you have nothing but stellar reviews, how are you not a superhost? the few times i had to call about issues, the phone number we get as superhosts works great. somebody always answers within a minute and the customer service has been outstanding. best of luck and hopefully this bad experience won't keep you from hosting!

Sabine

Thank you, Sabine, for your great feedback.  I have tried to call and talk to someone higher up. I get the runaround and nobody is getting back to me.  I even posted something on facebook and I got a response from them to call the customer service number that I have been calling.  However, today I was put on hold for 7 minutes then it started to ring and nobody picked up.  I am not sure how to get to someone higher up as I have asked for that but I am not getting any where.