BEDDING

Marty1
Level 2
East Aurora, NY

BEDDING

one of my bedrooms has a pull out coach--When being reviewed, my guest suggested not making up this day bed, but leaving the fresh linens for the guest to use & make up dy bed-she felt it would be better because the guest would know the sheets are fresh--I understand what she is saying, but I feel leaving my guest to do this seems like I'm sluffing off! what do other hosts do?

8 Replies 8
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think I would expect the bed to be made up - would be a bit put off as a guest to have to spend part of my first evenig making a bed. 

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You will always have the odd person with out of the ordinary requests/ suggestions. I would suggest you continue to make the bed and if the odd guest wishes to check the sheets or mattress etc. they can take the sheets off themselves. Also, I’m not sure why you would not be able to tell if the sheets are clean and fresh if laid out.

If you go to a hotel, B&B, hostel even if you visit friends or family and they are expecting you, they would normally make the bed up, it creates a more welcoming environment. I feel that if left on made, it will be one of the first impressions that stand out to a guest and might even be mentioned in you reviews in a negative light- just my thoughts

BW, Ama

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

On the other hand...just thinking about it, if people are arriving earlier in the day, perhaps they would prefer to use it as a couch. Maybe ask the guests each time what they would prefer.

Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

As @Gerry-And-Rashid0 suggested,

I was also thinking that most guests will want this to be a sofa and you will have wasted your time, and theirs with having to put it back together, washing clean laundry, ect. In my case, I leave my pullout as the sofa unless they are having more than a couple that will likely sleep together. If it's two friends, I still leave it as a sofa but show them where all the clean bedding is in the closet in case they want to use it, oftentimes I find that they just take a blanket or just share the bed.

And as opposed to asking every guest, you could state it in your itinerary or at end of listing details that the guest should message you IF they would like to find the sofa made out as a bed upon their arrival.

@Marty1 In any case, don't be discouraged by the comment. You will always find guests that must determine some way that they could do it better than you. Best of luck to you!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Marty1

Here is what I do if the sofabed in the living area is needed:  

If guests arrive early I put the sheet on the mattress and fold up the sofabed.  The duvet and pillow I leave ready in a storage bag for duvets.  This way it is all ready, they can use the coach when they arrive and fold it out in the evening when it is needed.  

On Wednesday I have someone coming at 9pm - in this case I fold out the sofabed and make it ready to jump in 🙂

Jacquelyn9
Level 1
Dallas, TX

What sofa beds do you have? comfort is sooo important. I am in the market for one. 

thanks

Mich2
Level 2
Myrtle Beach, SC

I am wondering  simular but for regular beds, I have had several guests sleep on top of the thick bedspread not on the sheets, now my home is clean enough to eat off the floor and sheets are washed after every guest used or not. HOWEVER I have spoke with several cleaning companies here at the beach, they make the bed without the sheets on then place clean sheets and towels on dresser so guests can be assured they're clean. 

I am concidering this as an option because I don't want them sleeping on top of the bedspreads that i then have to wash more often. 

Thoughts?

That sounds strange to me. If I am paying for a place to stay and booked through a professional listing company then I would expect the sheets to be clean. The last thing I would want to do after a long day of traveling is make the bed.