BERLIN hosting from May 2016.

Paul-Andre0
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

BERLIN hosting from May 2016.

Good afternoon...has anyone further information re hosting in Berlin from 1st May......

I am told there is a possibility to get permission to continue...

any info would be great

have a good January

regards Paul

14 Replies 14
Sebo0
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Dear Paul,

I am very interested too. It looks like there is little communication here about this issue. There was loads of it when this issue was first announced three years ago, but now it look like everybody waits for it to happen. I found the best info here: http://www.apartmentallianz.net/neuigkeiten, but the latest news there is from October. Where did you hear that you could get a new license for renting your place? 

I try to keep you informed here about my search. 

Kind regards, Sebo

Did you manage to get more information on this?

What "more" information you are searching for?

Did some of you try out the online platform nestpick to rent out their places? I called them up yesterday to see how they work. Sounded all quite nice, but does one of you have personal experiences with them? THX

Hi Sebo and Paul,

You are welcome to join the event on the subject this Tuesday!

Panel Speakers:
- Roman Bach - CEO @9flats
- Stephan la Barré - CEO @Apartment0 Allianz Berlin eV
- RA Lukas Wenderoth @Wenderoth Lawyers
- Andrea Frahm - Owner @Frahm & Partner Communications (Moderator)
** Other panel speakers will join and are now pending.

http://www.meetup.com/Kibbutz/events/231093662/

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Paul-Andre0,

It is great to meet you, thanks for posting this. I'm not sure if you are aware, but there may be more of a discussion on this specifically for Berlin in the German speaking Community, here is the link if you want to take a look.

Thanks, Lizzie 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Please read my post in the german section:

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tipps-Tricks/Zweckentfremdungsgesetz-Novelle/m-p/20564#M211

Looks like the law will be changed soon. (making it even harder to exist).

Liebe Grüße

Gritta

J5
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

Here is an article from Der Spiegel on this topic dated Freitag, 08.04.2016 – 15:21 Uhr:

Spiegel.de article

Still waiting for information about which neighborhoods want to enforce the law. 

J6
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Is it then official that the law banning Airbnb will apply from 1st May on? Is it safe to keep hosting from that date?

Best,

Im also really curios about it. I gave a call to Airbnb but all they said is to ask in the Bezirkamt to see if its possible to host and what documents I need to have for "future" hosting.

Did you get any more info?

Cheers,
Mario

Louis21
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

There is not a lot of information in English out there, but I found this article on Quora this morning which answered pretty much my questions on the matter:

https://www.quora.com/Is-Airbnb-really-banned-in-Berlin-starting-May-1st

Hello ! 

I wrote directly to Airbnb to have some answers on the topic but they couldn't help me.

It is still very unclear how one can rent its apartement while staying within the boundaries of the law.

Specifically, I am interested to know how to deal with it if you rent your all apartement (as a tenant) only some weekends (or even weeks) every year while you are away (holidays, business trips, etc..). From my (relativelly poor) understanding of the German texts, you only need a permit if you are the landlord and want to rent your place as a holiday spot.

I also read that the law is mostly targeting individuals and companies that made a business out of it, but to what extend the fact of putting your all apartement on Airbnb is now legally triable?

I'd love to hear from someone with a deeper knowledge on the law that just passed.

Hi, I have applied for a license, had to get various documents together and write an overview of my particular situation. I recived a reply 6 weeks later (so last week) asking for me to send the layout plans for the apartment square meter calculation to back up what i have said in my application. I got this info from my Hausveraltung today so will be sending it on tomorrow.

I have also been told there is a charge for this process (not been told how much I think up to 300 euro) regardless of if it is approved or not. The letter also says there is an agency  or other department working on this to help with Wohnungsamt... so i feel there is a chance they make everyone pay then reject all applications to make their cash if they are an external agency...

Anyway if anyone else is further along with the formal application process than I am would be keen to hear how it pans out for different people.

Annika

Jonathan219
Level 1
Nyon, Switzerland

There are some exceptions apparently:  renting out a second home, which would otherwise go empty anyway, does not seem to breach the law.

https://www.thelocal.de/20160809/court-rules-small-victory-against-berlin-airbnb-ban

Any other info on the topic much appreciated - 

Jonathan