It happened to me. And I'm seeing that there have been many others like me.

All hosts~ please be aware~

Upon receiving the message "GUEST requests that you cancel" you will be faced with 2 options (1) Cancel (2) Keep reservation.

Unless you DO want to be penalized for a host cancellation - DO NOT click on cancel.

Click on "keep reservation" because the guest does not need the host's consent or approval or agreement to cancel. This is just another ploy to TRICK hosts into taking the blame.

Guest requests that YOU cancel - the second you click CANCEL this will become a HOST CANCELLATION. 

This will negatively affect your commitment rate, and Airbnb will do nothing about it. They will say, you (host) agreed to cancel so this is a host cancellation - and you only have yourself to blame for agreeing to cancel. 

182 Replies

Re: BEWARE of "Guest requests that you cancel"

in
Rochester, MN
Level 2

What if the guests book a seven day booking and three days in, messages you and says they're going to check in the morning, do they automatically get a refund for the 4 days they're not there for. I'm new to this and not sure. 

in
Atascosa, TX
Level 10

@Steven507  Change your cancellation policy to at least moderate to avoid issues like this. In your case because of the flexible cancellation policy depending on what time they canceled they will be refunded 3 to 4 days. 

Level 2

Hi, why would be fare to host to not give a refund when the residence has already been rented to someone else, and they did not loose anything?

why the guest have to loose the money paid (on Strick)  cancelled 30 days before check in?

Level 2

Hi,
I would like to express my frustration about the cancelling of my reservation almost a 30days previous to my check in date and being denied by the host my pay,ent back even dough the apartment is already booked to somebody else.
In this case I am the only one loosing money, in the other hand the host gets paid twice and feel the right to keep money that they do not deserve as my cancelation did cause any lost to him.
How Airbnb can support hosts robbery, it is not fare and this must be changed, hosts have to stop of hiding under the strict they are hosts they are there to make money, which I understand, I just really how would you feel if a thief get to your house and and rob you? And you go to the police and the police officer tells you , well they are thief’s they just want to make money, it is nothing that we can do.

Seriously, that is ridiculous, please let’s change this and make the Airbnb experience pleasant and trustable for both host and guests.

in
Mountain View, CA
Level 10

@Emerson26 Airbnb has different cancellation policies.  There are some policy with total refund.  There is strict cancellation policy which a guest will lose partial or full amount depending on the days before the trip begins. Therefore, a guest has to be aware of the cancellation policy used by the host in the listing during booking. A guest is advised to plan ahead before booking to avoid cancellation.

A strict cancellation is to protect hosts from losing chance of getting booked because once a booking is confirmed, the host's listing will not be appearing on the search for any of the dates of that booking period. Some guests booked one place and later find other cheaper place and cancel the earlier booking and book the cheaper one. This is not fair to the first host. Therefore, strict cancellation policy is for that purpose. 

Therefore, it is inappropriate to conclude that a host is a thief or robber after a cancellation is made and portion of the payment is not refundable to the guest as a result of the cancellation.

Level 2

Hi mike, i really agree with you any host should loose money due to a guest cancellation, my question is : why the money should not be refund if the host already rented the apartament to somebody else?

it is a question of principles and moral

in
Mountain View, CA
Level 10

@Emerson26 As a guest, you can contact the host to discuss if a refund could be provided after the dates due to cancelled reservation. If it were me, I would have agreed to refund under this circumstance. To implement a solution on Airbnb's side is possible too. You may send feedback to 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Before a solution is implemented by Airbnb, there is no way for a guest to know if the dates are booked after the cancellation from guests. A guest could see host's calendar. It could be blocked for those dates. But it could be booked and blocked by Airbnb, and it could be intentionally blocked by a host. Not to mention some more complex situation such as parial of the dates which were booked before are booked and blocked.

Level 2

Hi Mike, thanks for your feedback, unfortunelly I wasn't lucky enough to have a honest host like you.

I have already called Airnb support and they were the ones who informed that the apartment was rented , the agent at airbnb called the host and tried to reason with him, but he didn t budge , I also have sent a feedback form to airbnb management! 

I lost my money and just have to accepted  it.

This policy have to be change, kepping money the money when host have rented to somebody else it is not okay. what right does he have, and what he have lost?

it was my first time using airbnb, and will be the last, i never encouter any problems staying in hotels and i will kepping using hotels like I always did. 

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@Emerson26   I'm sorry you didn't get a more forthcoming host, as many hosts are quite willing to refund if they are able to rebook the same dates. However, what you have to keep in mind is that even for those hosts who are willing to refund, expecting a complete full refund isn't necessarily fair either. Some hosts spend quite a bit of time messaging with booked guests, answering their questions, etc. If a host has spent a half hour on this sort of thing, only to have the guest cancel, would you expect that the host should be doing this for free? So even if I were to refund a guest because I was able to rebook the dates, I would hold at least a little something reasonable back to pay myself for the time I had already spent dealing with the guest.

As a guest, it's very important to read the cancellation policy for a listing and understand it fully before booking. If you don't like the terms, don't book it- look for another place which has a cancellation policy you can stomach. If I book a non-refundable airline ticket, I can't then demand that the airline re-imburse me because I wasn't able to make that flight. I agreed to the terms when I booked. Even if they sell that seat, they're not going to refund me.

You may not be aware also that a host doesn't get paid for a booking until 24 hours after a guest checks in. Until then, the $ is with Airbnb. So until the check-in date rolls around, the host actually doesn't have the guest's money, they would be refunding out of their own pocket.

People have all sorts of moral standards for themselves. Just as there are hosts who would double dip and feel fine about it, there are guests who manufacture something "wrong" with the listing, even after spending several nights at the place, demand a refund, and Airbnb gives it to them. It's too bad that everyone doesn't operate by the Golden Rule, but that's human nature- some people have more of a conscience than others.

Level 2

Thanks Sarah for your feedback, I agree with you people should be paid for the work they  have done, when you buy a non refundable flight ticket there i you know is not refundable and that is it. 

But when you rent from airbnb, on the host page just says :

Cancellations
Strict - Free cancellation for 48 hours
After that, cancel up to 7 days before check-in and get a 50% refund, minus the service fee.

Where it does say that the host is entitle to keep all the money that i have paid?

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@Emerson26  You are quite correct, that is the policy for strict cancellations. You should be getting 50% back, minus the Airbnb fees, which they don't refund (nothing to do with the host). But was this a long-term reservation? In that case, the first month is 100% non-refundable. All this info is available to read on the Airbnb site. If they don't make this info readily viewable to guests it is Airbnb's oversight and you should ream them out for this.

But if it wasn't long-term and you haven't been refunded the 50%, there is something amiss.

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies

Level 2

It was a 4 days stay, like you said if they don'tmake it " readily viewable to gests....."

this whole situation is very unplesant and not professional att all

I will just have to suck up my 500 euros lost

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@Emerson26  Did you at least get back the 50%? Because that should have been automatic, and not subject to host approval. If you didn't get that, contact Airbnb through Twitter, which is said to get the best results. 

If the issue is that the host wasn't willing to refund the rest, even though they were able to rebook the dates, again, sorry you got a non-amenable host.

in
Tucson, AZ
Level 2

I am a host with a moderate cancelation policy so guest can cancel up to 48 hours, before they arrive and get a full refund .Airbnb has a policy in place for 30 days or more with no refund when canceled, wich is fair as this is usualy booked well in advance.

I recently found out when a guest canceled after her check in date, as the elderly dog she traveled with got sick,she wanted a full refund after tying up the space for 2 months in advance,and June being a slow month in Tucson due to the high temps being difficult to rent out.

She was offered a free place 2 hours north in Phoenix by a friend?

Airbnb sided with her as she wined and was extremly unpleasant to both airbnb rep and me.

I remain suspicious and feel that she should at least provide vet bills to substanciated her claim to me as welll as air bnb so far I am out of bulk I would normally get.

In the past I have let guest to a full refund but they only recently reserved not 2 months.

in
San Francisco, CA
Level 3

I am in the same shoes right now 

I am also have moderate policy. 

two month ago I received request for 29 days startingJune 1 and ending June 30

such request was ubrupetly superseded by Airbnb against inquiry from another guest during our email conversation on Airbnb platform !!!!

Airbnb canceled inquiry from guest who want to stay whole month from May 23 due to her daughter delivery

i was shocked and lady who placed inquiry was also shocked by cancellation of her inquiry 

i called Airbnb and ask why and they told me that at the time of exchanging inquiry questions they got request for 29 days and request is higher priority because money is right there.

i apologized to the lady and accept the guest with request for 29 days 

I am immidiately received notification such reservation is concidered long term and if I cancel I will loose my super host for one year, plus all the days from request will stay closed and monetary penalty’s  will apply 

Four days before reservation starts my guest told me if I can cancel his reservation because he found another permanent place to stay and no longer need mine and suggested to start looking for new guests and  reimburse him money

i answer to him to go to Airbnb and talk to them, not to me and I can’t reimburse anything because I don’t have his money

it all, the Airbnb does

He immediately replied , we will keep his  reservation 

All these conversations are on Airbnb platform 

I contacted Airbnb and tell them the situation 

the agent told me they don’t have any request for cancellation from his side and suggested not to worry about because if he will cancel he will loose all his money

Because the guest told me in writing they will keep the reservation I asked him at what approximate time he may arrive  on June 1 buthenever answered

Next day Airbnb send me e mail about upcoming guest and suggested to check with him if he need information about address and again if I check with him the time of arrival

i am immediately send to him very polite message to let me of approximate time of his arrival and , also if he had all the nessasary info how to get to my place and if he can tolerate all the complimentary food I stack in fridge for breakfast for about a week

i listed everything I left for him but he is not replied 

Not to hear from him I send another message on Airbnb platform yesterday and called Airbnb as well

The agent suggested to wait till noon and if he is not respond , they will contact him.

The agent also stays not any activity to skip the reservation 

Today around 10 Am I got message from Airbnb my guest canceled  his reservation 

i placed call to Airbnb and ask what is next, the agent told me they already opened calendar starting next Monday, not foday or tomorrow and promised that I will get money back except cleaning fee , taxes and something like their fees 

But 10 min ago I got another notification from Airbnb withvery tricky big red button “request full amount” , it’s absolutely unclear to whom it will go to me or to the guest who canceled ???

I decided to wait till tomorrow and see if any other notification will fallow

I Am reciding in San Francisco , this year is unbelievable slow due to the tourists unwilling to come and not any high tech convention anymore because City within horrible conditions due to caravan of illegals and homeless people

They terrible messing on the streets and people very unhappy 

I got in this year only couple of days per month occupation and of course I was happy to get full month of occupancy 

Butits not happening 

i spend money for cleaning more than I charge guests, spend about $50 for food , coffee, sweets and now The red button “request to full amount “ make wander what is going on?