BEWARE of "Guest requests that you cancel"

BEWARE of "Guest requests that you cancel"

It happened to me. And I'm seeing that there have been many others like me.

All hosts~ please be aware~

Upon receiving the message "GUEST requests that you cancel" you will be faced with 2 options (1) Cancel (2) Keep reservation.

Unless you DO want to be penalized for a host cancellation - DO NOT click on cancel.

Click on "keep reservation" because the guest does not need the host's consent or approval or agreement to cancel. This is just another ploy to TRICK hosts into taking the blame.

Guest requests that YOU cancel - the second you click CANCEL this will become a HOST CANCELLATION. 

This will negatively affect your commitment rate, and Airbnb will do nothing about it. They will say, you (host) agreed to cancel so this is a host cancellation - and you only have yourself to blame for agreeing to cancel. 

182 Replies 182
Yi-Shin0
Level 2
Balt, MD

This happened to me today - I received a message from Airbnb "(name of the guest) requests that you cancel".  With a big print: "You have 24 hours to respond.  The reservation will be canceled on your behalf if we don’t hear back".  I thought it was kind of strange, but since I did write a message to the guest earlier and asked her to cancel the reservation due to coronavirus pandemic (they live close to the impact area), so I didn't think too much of it and click on the "cancel" button.  To my surprise, guest-request-to-cancel is the equivalent of host-agreed-to-cancel.  I had to call Airbnb to explain the situation so they can remove the penalties.  I honestly don't understand the function of guest-request-to-cancel?  Either the guest cancel or the host cancel.  Why would a guest need the host to cancel for them?  So bizarre.  

@Yi-Shin0  If the host cancels, the guest gets a full refund. If the guest does, they are subject to a refund in line with your cancellation policy. Savvy guests know this, so they will try to get the host to cancel. Some novice guests may not understand how to cancel themselves and choose this cancellation method. If you ever get one of those again, decline it, regardless of whether you and the guest have agreed on the cancellation (you can explain to them that they have to cancel themselves, it isn't that you don't agree to it)- then the guest will be forced to cancel it from their end.

You're right- there is no need for this option. It's just another example of the guest-centric nature of the company at the expense of hosts.

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

This happened to me recently. I have been a superhost for 3 years running. I sure hope this doesn't affect my superhost status! 

It is clearly airbnb doing this NOT the guests. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/quot-bob-requests-that-you-cancel-quot/m-p/1272921#M3042...