BEWARE of "Guest requests that you cancel"

BEWARE of "Guest requests that you cancel"

It happened to me. And I'm seeing that there have been many others like me.

All hosts~ please be aware~

Upon receiving the message "GUEST requests that you cancel" you will be faced with 2 options (1) Cancel (2) Keep reservation.

Unless you DO want to be penalized for a host cancellation - DO NOT click on cancel.

Click on "keep reservation" because the guest does not need the host's consent or approval or agreement to cancel. This is just another ploy to TRICK hosts into taking the blame.

Guest requests that YOU cancel - the second you click CANCEL this will become a HOST CANCELLATION. 

This will negatively affect your commitment rate, and Airbnb will do nothing about it. They will say, you (host) agreed to cancel so this is a host cancellation - and you only have yourself to blame for agreeing to cancel. 

182 Replies 182

@Mary460 

My hosting experience has been mostly great and exciting - I'm glad I decided to host. BUT, this was one of the first things that hit me where it hurt so I wanted to reach out to new hosts especially because I didn't want other new, unexperienced, unassuming hosts (like me) to fall for this trick wording and end of with a bad commitment rate. Happy hosting 🙂

So if I choose to cancel as the HOST, what is my cancellation penalty fee? We need to cancel the guest, but I'm wary of clikcing the CANCEL button. I'm new to all of this. Is it a flat fee or a percentage of the total rental?

As I learned the cancellation by host will result in an automatic review, which will read " canceled xxx  days before reservation", and a 10% penalty from your next reservation. Your Super Host will be delayed too.

It will cost you the ability to be a superhost and lower your ratings.  If that doesn't matter to you, then it shouldn't cost you anything or at least it didn't in my case.  It did cost me my superhost capability for a year and I'm not happy about that because I had to cancel 1 time out of 25 due to illness this winter. 

Yes Trure , I have canceled yesterday  German  host due to some concerns about Caronavirus   and rbnb did't understand my situation.  

As I know if you advertised as an "instant booking host " you should not pay any penalty and if you need to cancel within amount of days according to your cancelation policy.

my advise to you call BNB and talk to them , they will tell you exactly your rights.

regards and good luck,

Bella

$100 fee, loss of super host status, decline in your reliability and they hide your listing for a time and block off the time the guest would have stayed with you. They are really not a nice company to work for.

I'm with you on this one. I fell for it ONCE and got threatened with my listing being suspended, or my listing paused or $50 fine, and so on. I do not appreciate this tone from Airbnb specially when it is the guest who is at fault. They have a calendar at their disposal to see availability and STILL instant book a date that is not available. Why do Airbnb accept their booking? they also see your calendar. You notify the potential guest that the date they require is not available, then you get asked to cancel!! Then it begins all over again!! Threats!! One more threat or bad tone I'm off. I will NEVER cancel, if the instantly booked guest wants a refund, they can fight Airbnb for it.

Rant over, thanks for the opportunity. 🙂

After reading numerous comments on cancellations, seems to me the Instant Book is not a good option for Hosts.  It may be very convenient for the guests but we are the ones that suffer from a potinital guests inability to correctly use/read a calendar.  I have set my calendar so there is always a blocked date between bookings.  This way I have plenty of time to get my listing ready for the next guest.  Our property is an entire house with 3 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms and a large kitchen.  I do a walkthrough with all guests upon arrival and again as they are ready to leave.   I go over the major house rules, No Smoking, No Pets, No Parties before I confirm a booking and I have a detailed copy of the house rules posted in the kitchen.  

Thanks Linda for your publication,I just yesterday eliminate instant booking, and it wasn't easy

i tried several times , answer all questions why I am doing the change, the reason, but it was stating over and over only instant, until I asked how many times I need answer same things, and I never choose then instant booking in first place.

I am also like to know how to block days when you need to be out of town, like family leave or vacation. Maybe you know how to do such things

very appreciate

vacation

Hi Bella,

To block dates, go to your calendar and click on the first date you want to block.  To the right of the screen, you will see an option to make the date unavailable.  You can do a date at a time or several consecutive days.  Most importatn, be sure to SAVE the change.  Once you do this, I suggest you review your calendar at least once per week to make sure your blocked dates have not "magically" become available.  This happened to me after I blocked 3 months for Winter Texans that rent our property.  I received a request to book dates I knew should have been unavailable.  When I checked my calendar, my blocked dates were ALL open for use.  I reblocked the dates but still had the dates open up, one at a time, for the next few weeks.  Very frustrating. 

Linda

Linda, you are absolutely right, I fallow your suggestion and blocked three month for the same reason as you mentioned.

i get very tired to clean precisely before and after and I like to have a break from this .

i have some relative who like to stay for three month , it's less money, but less hard work.

i blocked my calendar about 10 days ago and found today that my blocked days are unblocked!

For sure I saved those days, but they misteriously. get unblocked  and I blocked them again

the Airbnb  continuing to press me to switch to instant booking again,  and lowering the price, so far I refused, because it's not make any sense to me

No it's not convenient for guests either.    Because guests don't read.  If they put in an inquiry first then we can have a friendly chat if my place will be a good match for them.   With instantbook they think you're Expedia.com.

You should start an advice thread for new hosts, as your observations and advice are rock solid.  

Mahrita0
Level 4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

i agree this tone and attitude airbnb are taking is childish (no gold star for you today) who cares about super host who care about stars change this way oF judging host or i am off to i will set up a petition and see how other host feel about this childish behaviour its started DO YOU HAVE A SPARE ROOM INTO A 5 STAR HOTEL EXPERIANCE AS IVE SAID  NO HOST NO AIRBNB YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ADVERTISING FOR ROOM LETS THE WAY YOU TREAT YOUR HOST IS DISGUSTING SOME DEPEND ON IT TO PAY THERE MORGAGAGE NOT ME THANK GOD I WOULD BE WORRIED SICK WONDERING WHAT PUNISHMENT I WOULD BE RECEIVING NEXT, SORT OUT THIS STUPID STAR CARRY ON AND THOSE HOST WHO WANT TO BE SUPER HOST LET THEM GET ON WITH IT BUT THOSE WHO ARE DOING IT TO PAY BILLS LEAVE THEM ALONE ITS A PRIVATE ROOM TO RENT NOT A DEGREE IN ENTERTAINMENT   GHANGE THIS NOW