BEWARE of "Guest requests that you cancel"

BEWARE of "Guest requests that you cancel"

It happened to me. And I'm seeing that there have been many others like me.

All hosts~ please be aware~

Upon receiving the message "GUEST requests that you cancel" you will be faced with 2 options (1) Cancel (2) Keep reservation.

Unless you DO want to be penalized for a host cancellation - DO NOT click on cancel.

Click on "keep reservation" because the guest does not need the host's consent or approval or agreement to cancel. This is just another ploy to TRICK hosts into taking the blame.

Guest requests that YOU cancel - the second you click CANCEL this will become a HOST CANCELLATION. 

This will negatively affect your commitment rate, and Airbnb will do nothing about it. They will say, you (host) agreed to cancel so this is a host cancellation - and you only have yourself to blame for agreeing to cancel. 

182 Replies 182
Mahrita0
Level 4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

what i dont understand is what this super host is all about i have been with airbnb for 4 years at the beginning i didnt pay much attention to super host i thought it was down to the host whether they wanted to be one or not untill recently i have been getting threatned that i will be penilsed for not obeying airbnb rules in the beginning there was no such thing so i phned airbnb to complain a)that i was fed up with them changing the format every few week,the guy agreed with me and told me to complain through feedback b)that my guest leave here delighted with there stay apart from the odd one or two i get 90%to 99% for every thing else but stars,because its so confusing for guest writing up reveiws even guest are confused with the format i recently had a couple who thought they had booked an apartment only to find it was a room the guy agreed with that too c)i hate being threatned with anything certainly when it is out of my control whether guest put 4 star or 5 star at first i worked for a company called grasshopper who were closing down such a good site and it was them that added me to airbnb which at the begining were great but i wake up everyday worrying whats going to happen from past experiance i have found that its best you let the guest cancel and remove instant booking because that is what is causing host to be penalised, one year luckily i was going through my calender and it had my rooms up for free what host in there right mind would do that i contacted airbnb after hours of looking for number only to be told that it could only be me that could do that (EH) SO WHY IS AIRBNB NOT RATED i have had double bookings for same room on many occasion leaving me to find the guest other accomodation but no airbnb are always right i am coming to the stage of leaving this company as its starting to effect my health i have had so much repair work done due to guest breakage thank god i didnt claim through my insurance company as if your house insurance company find out you are claiming for airbnb they will not insure you one poor host may lose her home for this reason NO INSURANCE COMPANY WILL INSURE YOU FOR AIRBNB i hope this has made new host aware of what they are getting into, it was meant to be DO YOU HAVE A SPARE ROOM

Hello! This is very disconcerting news about insurance companies and airbnb. Also why would anyone need to involve their insurance company? I thought as hosts Airbnb would cover any property damage or personal injury claim.

Has anyone had experience with Airbnb and filing a claim for damage by a guest?

Thanks!

Christine 

I know that additional insurance needed if you have like exchange students , such things wasn't expensive a few years ago

what is the cost now I have no idea

i put into my requirements security deposit $250 , but I don't know if B&B hold that money from guests or not

i also changed from automatic booking and had pure hard time to do this, they demanded many explanations 

Is Any one knows if security deposit is the solution for improper guest behavior ,like damage something intentionally or not intentionally My daughter had a guest last year who took bran new coffee maker with gold plating filter and sieve red vine , the filter turned red and coffee maker and coffee smelled sour , brrr I be glad to know if they did same thing at home. The couple was in their past seventy.... Never know what to expect from people
Mahrita0
Level 4

to the host that is asking if airbnb cover you the answer is no i reported a light going missing the answer was phn the polce airbn treat there host terrible and yet NO HOST NO AIRBNB

Mahrita0
Level 4

ive just found out that you are allowed three cancellation i have just cancelled an instant book and like you i did not want to do it but abb phned me and explained the rules i dont know if it just when its a instant booking that you are allwed three cancellation a year but i would imagine so and as for being super host its a joke i have just celebrated 5 years with abb never been a super host all the best hope yhis put you at eade margaret

Leslie-and-Craig0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Jessica & Henry

To avoid cancling guests and having it reflect on your Airbnb status may I suggest that you set your requirments so that every guest that books has to meet all standard verifications as well as having them have their Government ID verified.  When I recieve a "Guest Request" message I know this means one of two things...1) they do not meet all my requirements OR 2) they need a few more questions answered before they book.  I look at EVERY guest request profile before responding, I see what verifications they currently have, when they became a member of Airbnb and if they have any reviews.  If they are new at Airbnb, I will nicely explain in a message response that they need to complete ALL our verification requirements before they can instant book with us, if they seem to be really shady, like have some not so nice reviews are have a picture of a tree or dog as their profile picture I will NOT accept their request and I immediatly call Airbnb customer service and let them know that I am not comfortable with guest who do not have a picture of their face in their profile, I have had to do this 3 times and each time it did NOT reflect poorly on me with Airbnb.  I NEVER refuse a booking from anyone based on their race or their residence location....all guests are welcome in our home as long as they meet our requirements...I hope this is helpful information 🙂

Yes, thanks a lot very helpful info , but what is the phone number you call? I still wait for answer to my email from customer service, pure soon my guest will move out and things was resolved by itself, but the answer is not cooked yet. You very lucky one.

Madge1
Level 1
County Mayo, Ireland

What number do you call?

@Madge1 

Airbnb U.K. Number  is 020 3318 1111 a

@Bella18

Hi hi I only have two numbers for Airbnb a U.K. Number which is 020 3318 1111 and a U.S number +1 (855) 424-7262, I am not sure where you are so I hope one of these numbers are helpful 

Thank you Cyntia, I am in USA, San Francisco 

what I found that main office of B&B located in San Francisco, but they not accepting calls from hosts

@Bella18

Your welcome. That is  weird that they're not receiving calls whenever I call because the number is actually 24 hours they've always taking my call any time of the day, even in the morning at 3am they always receive my calls so I don't understand 

Cyntia, thanks I will try again, I do have their domestic number as well

thanks for your sugestion

Ward1
Level 3
Woodbridge Township, NJ

I have found their Customer Service to be really bad.  When I became a SuperHost, they gave me a 'special phone number for SuperHosts.'  It is the exact same 'line' as the regular Customer Service number.  They seem to have 'stock answers' to everything and really don't seem to care about getting to the bottom of things.  They are a MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY, I expect more.  Here's the latest:  Can anyone tell me why if - as a host who does not use Instant Book -- why does an initial request from one guest BLOCK OUT my calendar for those dates?  I think it's fair that I only have 24 hours to accept or decline a request, ut it's possible that another (better) request could come in that wants those dates and more.  But I won't see that request becuase the dates are blocked out in my calendar from the first request.  So if I hae someone request a day or two in the middle of the month, it won't allow someone who wants the entire month to make that request unless/until I deny that first request.  Who would want a 2-day guest over a 30-day guest?  But if I acceot the 2-day guest, then the 30-day guest isn't even going to be able to get his/her request to me.  BAD BUSINESS!