BROKEN MIRROR from a child

Paul206
Level 2
Denver, CO

BROKEN MIRROR from a child

A guest checked in today. They were not even there an hour and their 1 year old "allegedly" pushed a mirror I had leaning up against a wall and the mirror fell forward and broke. This is a 6ft floor mirror and weights about 75 pounds. I don't understand how a 1 year old could knock over a mirror of this proportion. THANK GOD the baby is ok and there were no injuries. The mirror can be replaced, but what I am more concerned about now is the mother's lack of care and responsibility - how could you let a 1 year old out of your sight long enough to knock over a mirror that could have killed him?  I am very concerned about the rest of their stay - for their safety and my own safety, I want to ask them to leave. Can I do this? Thoughts?

17 Replies 17

You either hosted the new escapee infant from Krypton or there's another reason why the mirror fell. While it is the responsability of the mother to ensure her child's safety, anyone injured in your home becomes your liability. In our litigious world, that's not something worth tempting indeed. 

UPDATE: I contacted Airbnb and they agreed that the parents were absolutely negligent in this case and they canceled the reservation. So there you have it folks - at the the end of the day, you are responsible for your child's actions. Airbnb also told me that these folks were new to my environment and therefore should have been even more careful given those circumstances.

Because of these careless, and quite honestly reckless parents, I have revised my listing to state no children allowed. It's unfotunate, but sometimes it only takes 1 bad apple such as this to be forced to make that decision. 

The mother never apologized, did not offer to repay me for the mirror, she took the position that I was to blame and that she was the victim. 

Both hosts and parents have to take some responsibility when it comes to children. My attitude toward my listings is that if the house isn't set up as if a child lived there permanently (locks on cabinets, breakables out of reach, etc.) then I shouldn't let children stay there. There's a reason parents set up their houses this way--you can't watch a child every second of the day.

Having said that, I'm glad you were able to resolve this issue and that no one got hurt.