BYOL: Asking guests that sleep with their dogs to bring their own linen.

Yen12
Level 2
Seattle, WA

BYOL: Asking guests that sleep with their dogs to bring their own linen.

Hello,

I'm curious about whether it sounds reasonable to ask guests who sleep with their dogs to bring their own linen.  I have had to throw away two sets of sheets because the dog fur was so bad that I couldn't get it off after weeks of trying.  In one occasion, I asked the guest to pay for replacing the linen.  But I don't want to have to do that.  Do you think that a byol policy would come across as unreasonable?

9 Replies 9
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

The standard solution is to charge a pet fee.

I charge $25.

It helps me to clean more, use tape to get off the quilts...

You don't charge a lot, so charging a pet fee will not make you uncompetitiive

I tried everything with the sheets.  The dog hair would not come off.

It’s too big a hassle for the $27 I charge as a pet fee.

It’s to the point where I almost don’t want to accept pets.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Yen12. Apart from what @Paul154 said, it is also alright not to accept pets or accept them under any condition a host feels comfortable with - it only has to be clearly stated in the house rules. 

There are even limitations for mental-support animals - they do not have to be accepted if the host's listing is shared.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thanks for the feedback:-)

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Yen12 We have a 90# Rottweiler and we do all the laundry here at my own house not the rental. 

I use a lint roller on everything that’s washed, just to make sure there is no black dog hair on anything. 

I lint roll each of the sheets and blankets after making the bed. It really helps. 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’ 

Thanks for the feedback.  My sheets are bright white.  I know, I know, I should have gotten a different color/pattern;  but at this point I have many sets of white sheets and so far they have been great and I've managed to keep them very white.  

I tried the lint roller solution and I still get dog hair stuck to the sheet.  I think I'm just going to disallow pets if guests can't keep them off the bed.  I have a dog and I've trained him to stay off the furniture.  He never gets on my bed, so it didn't occur to me that other people do sleep with their dogs.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.  I'll keep trying to figure it out.

@Yen12   How about keeping a couple of setts of grey sheets just for the pet owners?  They wont freak if they find a hair or two and you can tell them up front the situation.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Stick with white sheets, they are best. Say no to pets. Or do what you propose, make them bring sheets. Either works.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Either don't allow pets, or maybe have an old sheet or something (but clean) that you give to dog owners to put it under where their dog sleeps. Explain that you've had to throw out brand new sheets because you couldn't get the dog hair off. I really don't understand letting dogs on the furniture, myself. That's one of the first things I taught my dog, that and no jumping up on people.  And don't believe dog owners who tell you their dog doesn't get on the furniture, it may be true and it might not. And a dog brain doesn't understand why it would be okay to sleep on the bed at home, but not somewhere else, so if it's acceptable at home, the owner will not be able to prevent it at your place.