Bad being a host... But worse working at Airbnb ?

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Bad being a host... But worse working at Airbnb ?

https://www.teamblind.com/article/Whats-with-the-Airbnb-hate-Working-there-not-the-product-G3UDj7O2

Little suprised to read some of the feedback on this thread - blind allows internal employees to post anonymously. The comments on poor product management make me wonder about changes to superhost, plus etc...

i also hope hope the comments on poor culture around harassment etc are not true.

13 Replies 13
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Very interesting, Pete, thanks for sharing the link. Sounds like the employees go through a lot of the same frustrations we do. Things become more clear as to why this goes down the way it does. I loved the "clown car falling into a gold mine".

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Fascinating.  Sounds like there is a lot of ego massaging going on and innovations being pushed out whether they are good or not, which we already knew really.  Will somebody please let me know what a "clusterf^ck"  is or shall I just use my imagination!  

@Rachel0

It's about the same as a SNAFU  an acroymn coined by GI's during WWII to describe military effeciancy: 

Situation normal, all fuc*ked up.

I think more specifically it means a bunch of people all screwing up simultaneously and interactively, with nobody in charge, thus "cluster"  🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@John

John I have always regarded two statements as being the ultimate 'oxymorons'.

Public Servant and Military Intelligence!

Cheers.....Rob

Funnily, the first time I heard the word, it was from a man who was from London. Has more punch with the British accent. It is what it sounds like. 

Honestly....I'm not surprised 🙂

Looking at the way ABB handles host/guest complaints, issues about refunds or additional charges for damages etc. I would assume that is how the company is also managed internally. ABB's "we have the final say in all decisions" attitude had to have come from somewhere~~~~~~ And the fact that even their own CS people are always giving advice that is not aligned with what is stated in the ABB policies says alot about the company and how they train/manage their own resources.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

As @Jessica-and-Henry0 said - Honestly....I'm not surprised .

Airbnb is constantly making changes and reinventing hot water while same basic things doesn't function as they should. Every new change makes this platform less user friendly and hosts less happy . Airbnb calls it "progress". I call it fail.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Sort of what I expected, I do understand the terminology and also reminds me so much of Corporate reality of places where I have worked as opposed to the image they prefer to give out.

David
Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Here's another "not at all surprised,"  seems entirely consistent with the arrogant,  out-of-control,  "no adults in charge" tech culture of the SF peninsula now.

Russell68
Level 4
Toronto, Canada

I had a good situation with Airbnb recently.  A guest cancelled trying to claim he was unhappy with my asking for a refundable key deposit.  First manager sided with the guest and refunded him entirely.  When I pointed out that the guest had asked me that I request the deposit through the Airbnb website, the second case manager sided with me and gave me a partial refund according to my posted Moderate refund policy.

@Russell68

I am glad the decision was overturned and you got the partial refund BUT imo this is exactly the type of thing that is the problem with ABB.

Guest lies, asks for full refund and gets it <-- should never happen in the first place, especially when there is clear proof that the guest is lying.

Thanks for your reply.  It is disappointing how some guests will lie, make up things or say anything to try to get a refund.  And then they may give you a bad review which affects your business.