Bad guest No review

Bad guest No review

I had a younger female guest who had a one night stay in my 4 person cottage.  The place was a disaster (no damage).  I have all 5 star reviews.  She violated several policies - 8 people, late checkout, no parties. Dirty dishes all over; food on floor; trash all over house, sheets, pillows, towels, everywhere.  Condom wrappers on the floor.  

So....I submitted a review that was not great but she never reciprocated a review.  

Does this mean she will not receive or see my rating, feedback and/or private message?  

Will other hosts potentially not see my review of her and get the same treatment?  

How does this work if she does not do a review?

Dale

11 Replies 11
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Published after 14 days, she may however just delete her account and set up a new one if she needs to book on AirBnB again.

David

Good point but I do know who she is.  I looked her up on FB.

Daniel480
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

Hey Dale,

This same situation just happened to me with a guest today.  They threw a party at my house and my entire house is trashed.  They damaged my matress with who knows what liquid, glitter all over the beds and couch, and garbage everywhere.  Did you keep the deposit money and how would I go about doing that or reporting this to airbnb?

You do not not have the deposit money to keep, you would need to seek recovery through the system, documentation is key, photo's and invoices, plus speed. You only have 48 hours if you have another guest coming in.

David

Thanks David.  I will keep that in mind.  No physical damage so that is a good lesson learned for next rouge guest.

Daniel,

I am not sure how to report I was hoping to get some insight into that as well.  I do not charge a deposit but I might start.  I hate one bad apple wreck it for everyone.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

so sorry @Dale29, this person didn't respect your property. Good for you , and us fellow hosts, that you are going to write an honest review. Many hosts don't. @David126 filled you in with the logistics about the review, I might want to add a few suggestions to hopefully help prevent from something like this happening again:
Your cottage is so lovely, probably "too cheap" for what you offer. Consider raising your pricing and install a security deposit (will not be collected upfront by Airbnb, but it might scare off people who plan wild parties...) . Perhaps pay your manager Vera  a bit more to check people in and to monitor the place. 
Consider tightening your house rules and check in times., just nicely asking people to  please treat your  place like their  home unfortunately  isn't effective.... repeating several times how private it will be aLmost invites trouble! The pictures speak for themselves , but any potential trouble maker will love knowing nobody will be around....
As you don't have IB in place, you might want to spend a bit of time messaging with potential guests, asking them who and why... You'll get a good feel that way. A single woman for one night alreadyy raises a red flag in my mind. 
Would love to stay at your place!!
I lived in FL many many years (Gainesville Nd Ocala) and know the Ponte Vedra area quite well. I will be in St. Petersburg next week, a bit too far to make it over to your place this time.
Cheers and happy future hosting,
Annette

Annette,

So thoughtful of you to take the time to respond with so many great suggestions.  I will definately implement those.  I never thought about "private" being a bad thing but that is a great point.   I really should seen the red flags.  It was a day before reservation (1) she wanted to "crash" for the night (2), was flighty (3) when I talked with her on the phone.  She also only lived in Jacksonville only about 30 minutes away (4) .  Lesson learned.

Thanks again!

Dale

That's terrible I m sorry to hear that.  Did you forfeit the security deposit? Any other recourse?

I don't understand whats wrong with these people. What a disgrace! Reflects poorly on them.

I did not have a security deposit at the time but I did a few things:

- implemented a security depsoit

- no more one night stays - 2+ only.

The only two issues (out of 22) I have had have been with one nighters.

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

After 27 years in this business, asked my second guests to leave.  They booked for two weeks and asked to stay another month (possibly two).  For the first two weeks, I was unsure about these people.  Young couple with a three year old.  The place, although not terribly untidy, but dirty.  Muddy feet prints on the carpets, food splattered everywhere in the kitchen.  Dirty cutlery behind furniture. (I clean weekly regardless of how long guests stay).  It took 2 hours to clean the first two weeks (inside and outside)and was longer the third week.  I discovered week three that these people were disrespectful and irresponsible with the cupboards in the kitchen, so much so, that one drawfront was completely damaged beyond repair and we had to replace the entire front (unfortunately cant match the rest of the kitchen ).  I confronted them  and suggested they find another location.  I left one week open for them and blocked off the rest so they could not book beyond the one week.

They left no review.  The review I left them was 2 star (which I never though I could do, but they honestly deserved less).  It was to appear 14 days later.  But they took their site down...including their own home site which they host. (what kind of a host who charges $280 per night can justify leaving damages to a place they rent...and why are they here in my house when they have their own???)  

So now I am suspicious that they will change their profile picture and use a different name and reinvent themselves.  Airbnb does not have any control over this happening.  The original file was listed as "Erin" with a profile picture of "Ryan Gosling".  It will possibly be reinvented under "Brendon" or "Brandon".  BTW they were stealing my mail; and they had redirected their personal mail to my address.  There was a parcel that arrived for Brenton. No where to return or sent to.  I opened it only to discover it was a Tshirt with "communist" written across the entire front of the shirt.  Who is this person?  I was planning to give it to the local good will, but this was not a positive message to pass on in our community.