Bad review from a long-term guest, followed by refund, and there is nothing a host can do?

Helena74
Level 10
Odemira, Portugal

Bad review from a long-term guest, followed by refund, and there is nothing a host can do?

Hi everybody,

I have been hosting for 4 years now. When I started, my apartment was advised in 3 sites, but over time I gave up of 2 of them and stayed with Airbnb. Meanwhile the growth of Airbnb was enormous and the quality of the guests is decreasing, at least this is my feeling. Nevertheless I've been recommending Airbnb to everybody, until the following happened to me:

I had a family of guests – a young couple with their one year son – who stayed in my apartment for 40 days. I was first contacted by her but did not accept immediately, so they used a different profile and used the instant booking. I accept instant booking only from recommended guests, that was their case, and they are also hosts. So I thought it would be OK. I personally welcome them (despite their more than one day late arrival) and did the usual tour of the house. I was available during all their stay, they did not complaint about anything. On their last day the key was delivered to my daughter with a smile but without allowing her entrance (you will next understand why). All of it can be easily checked on our correspondence by Airbnb system.

But when I entered the apartment after their departure, I found used baby's diapers in my kitchen and food sticked on the walls. The bath tub looked like it was last time cleaned in the time of Discoveries, there was an area full of objects usually placed elsewhere (piles of chairs, cleaning products, heaters, toys). My water vacuum cleaner misused (without water), all the beds were used, all the closets for bed linen and towels were in a mess.

They wrote their review immediately, but I was completely pissed of and delayed mine until last moment. I had more to think about, like preparing the place for the next guest – a mother and her 14 years daughter -, who stayed for 6 days. It was an extra effort, but of course the place was spotless as always when they arrived. This guest wrote a 5 stars review and I did the same for her.

I wrote my reviews for both guests on the same day. I was naive enough to give to the couple a positive review, low rate, but still positive, considering that they had water my plants and they were hosts as well. Then I was taken by surprise and knew about their's review: Overall 1, Cleanliness 1, Accuracy 4, Value 3, Communication 5, Arrival 5, Location 4. On their public comment they seriously accuse me of unthinkable things, like danger of fire, clutter, lack of cleanliness, and there is more writing in their private comments to Airbnb.

So now I had a very negative review as first comment appearing to future guests. And the good review from the second guest was not appearing in my public page, only in my private dashboard. Then I called Airbnb centre in Lisbon, I was puzzled and wanted to know what could happen next. I was told that there was nothing to worry about, my average overall rate is still 4,5, even after a 1 star review; and the other issue maybe was something with my browser.

Soon after I had a third guest who also rated me 5 stars, his comment is public - but the second one is still disappeared.

Unfortunately there was more to come. Recently I received an e-mail from a case manager at Airbnb. It seems that, after looking over some documentation submitted by my guests, they are entitled to a partial refund of $1,854 or €1,571 (approximately the amount I got for one entire month), and this amount will be deducted from my future reservations. All based on my violation of Host standards policy!

From this point on, all I got from Airbnb was automated replies to my questions. According to the contract that we both – host and guest - have signed with Airbnb, unless I was mistaken for the past 4 years, if something was not according to guests expectations, they should have told me. I would in first place correct the situation, or if that correction was still not acceptable for them, they could cancel the reservation and stay somewhere else. Or we could adjust a lower price for the stay. To Airbnb it does not matter. It does not matter either the fact that they exposed their baby to danger (according to them) for 40 days. Or that there is another review from the next guest, written BEFORE their's review was public, and that this second review is hidden as part of my punishment. It does not matter either that I want to know what I am accused of, what kind of evidence was produced and when was it produced, in order to prevent future issues with other guests. Nothing matters. There is a decision, and it will stick. There is nothing I can do, except maybe cancel my 2 coming reservations (which will barely cover half of that amount), leave Airbnb for ever and start from the beginning somewhere else.

This can happen. Just forget about my case and suppose there is a long time host who helped the growth of the Airbnb community. This host has a license from local authorities, pays his duties and taxes, and he is average overall very well rated. Out of nowhere comes a guest that produces fake evidence and ruins it all? And Airbnb supports this guest and does not ear a word from the host? I do not think it is fair. I think that Airbnb is about guest and host, about sharing experiences, not only about money, not only about getting satisfied guests no matter what.

367 Replies 367

My two cents on this issue: Never-Ever rent long term.
I am finding out that guests are definitely attempting to sircunvent the system and avoid filling out a long-term rental agreement which involves credit check, background and references check. 

Maybe not all of them, but once burned, twice shy.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

MK

Chonette0
Level 2
Chippenham, United Kingdom

My experience has been different, I have had the most amazing good long term guest, some for a month, some for 3 or 4 months and they all have been excellent.

I do have a house help that comes on Fridays and tell my guest she will come and do the flat so they know and they are always grateful for all I do for them.

I never rent long term either. I once was a regular landlord and the tenants - who were my neighbor's kids - did a number on my house. It cost me 20k to fox it upand many more $$$$ in lawyers fees trying to get them to pay.

AT that point I promised myself i will never ever under no circumstances rent long term. Other people do. I have a lwyer friend who rents her 2 extra bedrooms long term only on Airbnb. She never had problems with damages just once with someone who lost her job and couldnt pay. The law here is such that if someone stays over a month, you have to treat him as a tenant, aka follow the same evicition procedure if you want them removed, which is like pulling teeth. 

Unfortunatelly Airbnb sides with the guests and it's little what we can do. In your case I'd just say short stays only and that's it. I personally accept 3-28 because of the eviction thing mentioned above. But I like the short one, 3-7 best. So sorry this happened to you.

Mahrita0
Level 4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

i agree i stopped doing long term stay to much hassle i am getting penalised for guest not reading description properly and seriously thinking of leaving airbnb they have become to big and take guest side every time its my home i decide who stays and who goes i have had so much stolen and my insurance premium would be sky high if i was to clam i M TALKING A BRAND NEW CHARLSTON DRESS WORTH 200 POUND ANTIQUE LIGHT TOWELS CLOTHES ECT THERE SHOULD BE MORE SUPPORT FOR HOST AND THEIFS STRICKEN OFF REALLY FED UP WITH AIRBNB ATTITUDE LACK OF COMMUNICATION AND GREED I THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO GET RID OG HOST THAT ARE NOT UP TO THERE STANDARDS BLOODY JOKE I AM BOOKED EVERY DAY AS I LIVE IN A POPULAR AREA

Carolyn5
Level 8
Leongatha South, Australia

Hi Marita.

You poor thing - I agree that there is very little support for hosts. It is very one-sided.

Two things you can do:

1. Disable Instant Book. It is causing a lot of problems for hosts because strangers unknown to us are living in the family home, not in a motel unit or separate facility. By doing this you can maintain control over who comes into your home and when, you can message back and forth and check guest reviews and ID until you are happy. I have done this and have had nothing but good experiences because I am able to screen potential guests more thoroughly. Trust your gut feeling and don't be afraid to say no.

Disable Instant Book by logging in, then choose Host, Manage Listings, Calendar & More, Booking (from Drop Down menu on left) then select last option requiring your response to request. Red icon will turn gray (indicating IB is off) after 24 hours. If IB is already enabled dates are blocked with a "verification pending" message - you can't unblock those dates should guests cancel. Only Air BnB can do this. But you can choose to check any further requests.

2. Do not rent out your home while you are not living at the property. I realised that almost all damage, thefts etc are carried out while the owner of the property is absent. No matter what anyone says, strangers do not care for your home the way you do, they do not respect your property the way you do, and they are not accountable for damages the way you are. Stay in your home while they are there and guests are far more likely to behave themselves. I have not had a single bad experience, but I have declined requests from time to time.

If I were you I would not give away hosting altogether. Despite their faults, Air BnB are still a better prospect that most others. I have researched others and not found anything that beats it. Air BnB are not responsible for bad behaviour. It is not their fault that people they screen choose not to do the right thing. They can only verify ID, they do not have the resources to investigate a guest's background and they cannot slander others by publishing criminal records. We as hosts must be vigilant and take care when leasing out property. It is up to us.

You just need to change your thinking, but hosting can be a very rewarding pastime.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Carolyn

Hi @Carolyn5,

It is perfectly understandable that AirBnb cannot be responsible for bad behavior. But that is the whole point, isn't it?

They SAY that they are responsible, with promises of host protection and insurance. And in case something goes wrong, they ALWAYS side with the guest!

None if us would be having this discussion if (1) they didn't make false promises (2) took a fair view of each situation, or better still (3) did not take any view at all of any situation.

Let ABB only be a monetary intermediary, not judge and jury. Let guests and hosts figure out their problems on their own.

I'm sure a lot of hosts would be happier with that, having known from the beginning that they are on their own (which is what would happen if you advertised in a newspaper or Craigslist).

But ABB uses this marketing gimmick and then screws hosts.

Hi Carolyn

I was reading your response to host with bad guest.  I am new to hosting and just accepted my first live-in guest.  What should I do prior to guest arriving?  What should I ask for from guest?  Can you advise me.....

Thanks

Pamela

1. Pamela - when the guests arrive I show them to the room and point out different things like placing the drain in the tub when washing hair, how to adjust the fan setting, etc. I have a paper in the room with points of interest, festivals, markets, ctc.  in Tampa and information on where they can go to wash their clothes, etc.
  2. I have in house rules I have no washer and dryer because that was being abused by European travellers. Unfortunately, many do not read house rules before booking. When new Airbnb folks request to book I ask them to read house rules and if they can live with them I will accepting in hosting them.
  3. The last thing I say before I leavae the room  is that if something is not right or needs attention to please let me know immediately and I will see to it straight away.
  4. I also have found that good communication before hand (even on instant booking) gives me a feeling of control of the situation. Hope this helps.
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What do you think is a reasonable use of washer/dryer?

At the moment, I am saying it is okay for long term guests (two weeks or more) to use, but not short term. Of course, if someone stays long term, they need to do laundry, but I don't want short term guests using my home as a laundrette. If you are staying for only a couple of days, why do you need to do your laundry here? Still, it is hard to say no to them when they ask.

Lately, I am finding everyone wanting to do their laundry here, sometimes just to wash a couple of t-shirts at a time. Economically it doesn't make sense for me. From an environmental perspective, I don't like it. Also, being an Airbnb host, I have to constantly wash linens and towels, sometimes with a quick turnaround, so I need the machine to be available!

@Huma0  your concern is completely right.  People tend to abuse machines they dont own.

with potentially 6 people in residence at your house, this will kill a machine through overloading and all the other dangers of strange laundry...a bobby pin can escape and jam a motor...I have had it happen. In the Staes, there used to be a phrase "Monday breakdown"  stemming from the days when Monday was laundry day and people would do load after load which overtaxed the machine.

You dont here the phrase as much as most women work rather than stay home.  But I will bet the phenom has shifted to Sunday.

I suggest you state in your house rules that the laundry is not available and then make your exceptions as you see fit.  Alternately , if laudramats are far away, offer the service  for few quid a load...but supervise the load.  Save this for the new washer you will need.

I have many long term visitors in my own house and I insist I load the washer as men in particular have no idea what a proper load is.  And raise your prices

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Amy38 you are right. I've had previous housemates break the machine by leaving small objects in their pockets, or forcing the door open before a wash was finished. My current washer/dryer is EXPENSIVE, but has a five year warranty. The warranty doesn't cover stupidity though. Another housemate would put the dryer on for nearly three hours for every load (and he did a lot of laundry) regardless of how many times I asked him not to. Our electricity bill went up 35% while he was living here.

I'll think about what you said about charging for laundry. This might be the way forward! My machine is already getting a lot more use since I started hosting because of all the towels and bedlinen, which obviously effects my electricity costs, so I really don't want it to get out of control.

I have put my prices up...slightly. I know, I know, I need to just be brave and hike them up!

@Huma0. Hike your prices 25%.   Even if you get 25% fewer bookings, you will make the same money.

I will lend my car to people before I let them load their own laundry. seriously.

I believe a two week stay warrants washer and dryer privileges but I still communicate that verbally, although the paper stipulates otherwise. I used to do 7 days plus and had one guest who arrived at midnight from his home country, India, and the next morning said he had to wash clothes. I flatly refused. I asked him if he brought dirty clothes with him from India. He said no. As it turned out he wanted to wash clothes every day so as not to open another suitcase. Oy vey. I agreed to allow him to add a few things when I did my laundry a couple days later. This was a father and son team and the father was the "cheap a.." instigator of "getting all you can from those dumb Americans."  I have ot had any issues since posting the laundry mat location on the greeting note. You may want to try it. And also put in bold in your listing somewhere "no washer and dryer."

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Sharon64. Thank you. Yes, I''ll change my listing re laundry and also add the laundrette location to my guidebook.

The more I think about it, the more I realise that people will break my washer/dryer. I had an engineer out only a few weeks ago. That particular problem was also caused by 'user error', i.e. overloading the machine.

I had the same problem. People travellling would show up with 2-3 loads of clothes and they are staying a few days. I put a stop to it and it is in wriitng in their room. I had one girl and her husband come and no sooner they walked in they asked to do laundry....they were from Germany and had been travelling around the US and landed in my home with weeks of dirty clothes. That was the last time I allowed a short term guest to do laundry...she left her dirty baskets of laundry on the dining room table for several days and late at night would do laundry.....the last load the night before they left.

I have in my house rules no washer and dryer available. If they don't read the house rules before they book they see them when they arrive because they are on a table in their room and I ask them to review them. When guests arrive, if they are long term I tell them they may use the washer and dryer during daytime hours while I am here because the washer is very sensitive how clothes are loaded and if improperly loaded or overloaded it will not go through the cycle. So far it has worked.

Human nature that many people will try to get as much as they can.