Badly scratched Tv monitor

Iren2
Level 4
Phoenix, AZ

Badly scratched Tv monitor

Wish i could post the pictures and video.

After the guest left, who booked for herself and 2 children, had unauthorized adults, and more children in our home, per my security camera, left our living room TV deeply scratched all over. Would you charge for this? I decided to not even charge for unauthorized guest, but just to pay me for a new TV, because the scratches are that extensive.
Guest denies it, requests before pictures,never mentioned anything wrong during the stay, and is full of insults about our home, location and us, after we maid the claim for a new TV, all recorded on messages. I escalated it!

7 Replies 7
Chip9
Level 2
Chattanooga, TN

Hi, Iren. We're new hosts. I'm eager to see responses you get, but you awakened me to something we haven't thought about = cameras. What setup do you have? Do you like it?

For an AirBnB home, the only cameras you can have are outside for security and any rooms or areas that are inaccessible, locked and off limits eg: a private office/study, the garage (unless you live in the home and are sharing). I use a Ring Video Doorbell. It lets me know how many people are actually entering the house and if they have trouble with the code on the keypad they can ring the doorbell, it will alert my phone so I can answer and walk them through it. I also installed a Ring chime in the house so that they are alerted to motions outside the house and if anyone rings the bell instead of knocking, both being very rare in my neighborhood. I set the volume very low for the chimes so they are not instrusive to the guests. I did my research on the Ring before purchasing and found that the old version ($99) vs the New version ($199) compared pretty much the same. the old is 720P and the new is 1080P but overall it really didn't make much difference in video quality. I hope this helps. Good Luck in your new venture, I am fairly new myself (since May 2018) but is has been an interesting and often gratifying experience so far. 

I have a Blink XT.  Free cloud storage. Keep in mind with my usage it burned trough batteries in 2 week or less, not the 2 year touted, so i wired it, since it has the option. I researched security cameras high and low, and in my opinion none are to be raved about yet, they all could be vastly improved. I would look into Nest, Ring, Arlo, and Yi also.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Iren2 I think you would be wasting your time, airbnb only pays out the secondhand value at the time damage occured.

If its 2yrs old you might get a $100 if you still have the receipt.

If its 6yrs old airbnb will tell you its not worth anything.

Iren2
Level 4
Phoenix, AZ

That is too bad if it's true. Maybe if i share  the video, and they will see the level of disrespect. It is not a simple scratch.  And the level of rudeness, and insult upon injury i had to take from the guest during the claim process, is inexcusable for any Airbnb guest.

Iren2
Level 4
Phoenix, AZ

Update: 

I have to say i'm impressed with the customer service i got from the Trust and Safety team. After escalating claim to Airbnb, they immediatly granted my full claim, without discussion and further proof from me, though i was ready to provide them. Thank you!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You are most fortunate, no guarantee it will be like that next time. This guest (which acted like a 'low life' and may have facilitated you being compensated by their actions) should be viewed as a warning. You are offering a place as nice as yours for a mere $135 total for 6 guests and only via camera can you tell what is going on. By the sound of it, they were trashy, they gravitate to such bargains as yours.

Addedly, since it is a condo, there are neighbor relations also to consider; imagine how many 'guests' from your listing alone possibly where at that pool at a given time during the stay of this recent clan.

Perhaps best to re-thinking your price and overall controls - an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

Good luck.