Ban on one night bookings Halloween

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Ban on one night bookings Halloween

DA82EE46-0E35-4D30-A38B-CF5496306C4F.jpeg

Anyone know where/when this was released? I don’t see anything on the Updates page and I didn’t get this notification from Airbnb myself.

40 Replies 40
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

We allow one night bookings and often get couples taking a night away from it all at our little retreat. My occupancy limit is 5 and I'm vigilant about extra guests, so parties are not a concern. But losing out on bookings is a concern.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Colleen253 

In Europe Halloween is not a festive day at all....

but i understand it only affects US and Canada

But i do not understand why booking is not allowed, if limited to a certain amount of guests.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 Sadly it IS in the UK. Halloween parties are a 'thing'. (So UK entire place listings are at risk. - Tho' the have-a-party-&-trash-the-house thing appears less prevalent here...)

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Helen350 

So the rule should also apply to the UK  !

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 We don't have a history of party shootings tho'.... 

@Emiel1  @Helen350  Airbnb AKA 'just a listing platform' is overstepping the bounds again. 

@Helen350  This is also pure discrimination if you ask me! Canada and the US are being singled out. And parties are NOT a thing for every listing. Full stop. Ugh. I'm so annoyed.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It’s a hugely festive day in the UK and Ireland so I am not sure you are correct in thinking that @Emiel1

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree that I understand the thinking from Airbnb around this @Emiel1 😁

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Colleen253  Here in Chicago we've had a block on one night stays since April.  We got notified via email. In fact, the city likes it so much they are considering make it permanent. 

Actually, even before Covid, I would block out Halloween and New Year due to one-night partiers. 

@Michelle53 I hosted a lovely couple on New Year’s Eve. ‘He’ proposed to ‘she’ and it was a memorable stay for them, based on the gushing feedback I got. I love that two people will always associate our place with such an important event in their lives. I’m sad to think that may not be allowed to happen again. 

@Colleen253    I think it totally depends on where you are located.

I've had a lot of great people coming into town for a one night stay, attending a concert or event.   And then, there are those few who spoil it for the rest.    The thing about Halloween is the mess made by costumes - glitter, paint, sequins, fake hair, makeup on everything. 

New Year - well, New Year.  I've had a couple of very loud, obviously very drunk, guests over New Year, and just don't do it any more. 

Realize this is probably not Airbnb doing this blocking - it is likely your local government making them do it.  Maybe your mayor has been talking to our mayor about party houses, and our mayor said "well, we ban single night stays.....".  

I live in Western New York, out in the country, very rural.  Airbnb cancelled my reservation to host Oct 31. Young couple wanting to visit the area.  I don't see it as a problem them staying and enjoying time away.  Not sure why Airbnb would cancel their reservation, hope they understand.

@Michelle53 one night stays have been allowed since early September