Bangkok city, Thailand

Eat, Drink, Travel, Festival and Transpotation in Bangkok

14 Replies 14
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Oei0,

Great to see your post relating to Bangkok, Thailand. Just to let you know I have moved you post to the 'Worldwide' city board, so that it is more visible.

I have never visited Bangkok, but I would love to. Have you any recommendations on places to visit during a stay?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Pim1
Level 2
Thailand

Hi all,

I am a new host in Bangkok. My place had just started with the first guess on last weekend. I was so excited to being a host but I could make it done successfully. Hooray! I love it! There are a lots to learn more, though.

Pim

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is so lovely to hear @Pim1. I hope you had a great time welcoming your first guests and welcome to the world of Airbnb hosting! As a new host you might like to take a look at this thread with tips from other host, it's also in the 'New Host' board here in the Community Center. 🙂

Enjoy

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thanks, Lizzie. I am soory for my super late reply. Due to my personal difficulty, I was out for quite a long term. Now, I am back again with a new list. Trying to catch up everything on hands.

McCherry0
Level 1
Bangkok, Thailand

We're currently AirBnB-ing our rental condo with the full blessing of our landlord (written into contract). I've heard rumors that AirBnB is technically illegal under Thai law ("unlicensed hotel"), and recently a building manager claims that our rentals are "not in compliance with local Thai law." Does anyone know definitively the local legal status of private short-term rentals in Bangkok? 

Hi McCherry,

I am also a host here in bkk for the past year and like you, asking the same questions. Did you get any feedback from the community? If yes, please share. I like to do this business "legally "

thank you in advance.

SH 

Hi buddy I am new host on Airbnb, they show send money 3ro 7 days but still I didn’t get anything, kindly let me know how I get ,

We are planning to link with Air BNB. We have had a programme for artists for a several years.  It is registered with Government as we want to comply with regulations.   Earlier this year we were required to register all guests with the Bureau of Immigration within 24 hrs of arrival.  Failure to comply incurs a THB2,000 fine.  We are now set up to do this on-line which makes it much easier as we are 52kms from the Immigration office.

The Thai Visa Blog site www.Thaivisa.com reported that Air BNB was 'illegal' in Pattaya and possibly Phuket.  This was linked to the hotel industry lobbying Government.

The youthful tourist spot in Bangkok at Khaosan Road has recently been visited by officials and many residential (and other) establishments were closed due to non-compliance.  They were not Air BNB sites but essentially informal unregulated hostels/rooms/bed and breakfasts without safety facilities, unregistered and occasionally linked with some illegal activities.

On the flip side, my wife recently received an invitation to a government sponsored information event and one of the topics was about introducing Air bnb - including the logo so I assume the one and only Air bnb.

So a mixed answer unfortunately - however my sense is that if you register with the government as a home stay or house/room for rent and also with immigration officials to informm them of your tennants/guests, then at least you have shown respect for the local authorities, their rules and regulations.

Cheers!

Just found this reported alleged court rukling from Hua Hin - another tourist spot with hotels unhappy about air bnb.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1467442/airbnb-bookings-illegal-court-declares 

A cut and paste from Findthatproperty.com...

Can I Legally Rent my Property via Airbnb in Thailand?

Although Airbnb is hugely popular, it receives constant criticism and opposition from the hotel industry. Members of the hotel industry view Airbnb as a form of short-term letting and a direct form of competition – many people say that Airbnb is actually illegal in Thailand and that it should be prohibited.

Two major laws provide some clarity on this matter – the Hotel Act and the Condominium Act. The hotel act of 2004 states that it is illegal for anyone owning 3 or more units within a single building to operate a short-term let. In most cases, therefore, Airbnb is perfectly legal as most people rent out their own home or a single property. Ensure you are familiar with any taxes that you may be liable for when renting out your Thailand property.

The condominium act, however, states that short-term lets are only allowed with the explicit permission of the condo owner. If the condo prohibits short-term leases then we advise against breaking the rules as you could face severe backlash.

If you live in Thailand and own your condo it could be worthwhile renting your property through Airbnb – the potential to earn additional income is great and providing you meet the specified criteria, it is perfectly legal to create a short-term letting venture!

hi there !!!! i am coming to Bangkok, can you give and advice where to stay for few days.

thank you

Good day! Hello Fabulous Host of Air Bnb in Bangkok! 

I am Ms. Inah ****, I am currently planning to do a research for my M.B.A. in Tourism Management at Assumption University Bangkok regarding Tourists's Motivation in Using Air Bnb Bangkok. My target respondents are Air Bnb users in Bangkok and hosts for interview. I was wondering if I could contact any community leader of Air Bnb in Bangkok regarding this matter. 

Rest assured that information that will be gathered will be used solely for the purpose of the research and will be kept confidential. 

Hoping to hear from you. 

Thank you so much. 

Ms. Inah

[Personal information hidden for safety reasons – to use the Direct Messaging function here in the Community Center, hover over the profile photo and click 'Send Message']

Pim1
Level 2
Thailand

Sorry Guys. I am out for quite a long term. Now, Iam back again. Trying to catch up everything on hands.

Yok0
Level 2
Bangkok, Thailand

Hi, everyone
I'm Yok
I am a new host in Bangkok. Our apartment is located in Rama 9, close to Rama 9 Subway Station, which can be reached anywhere. I welcome you. We hope see you soon. 🙂

Thank you

Andrew1000
Level 2
Canterbury, United Kingdom

Hi, I thought Airbnb was banned in Thailand for stays less than one month ?