Base price listed for guest is more expensive than what I have set

Chris66
Level 2
Bali, Indonesia

Base price listed for guest is more expensive than what I have set

My base price is USD $ 219 per night but in the price listed shown to guest is USD $ 226.

It is USD $ 7 more expensive and I cannot find the reason.

If you check in calendar is still USD $ 219. When you want to make a booking request in the quote is becoming USD $226.

Even the security deposit is becoming USD $226 which I also set as USD $ 219.

The cleaning fee I set is USD $ 38 but in the listing shown USD $ 39.

Is this an error or there is a new pricing system made by Airbnb? 

this is my listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8266138?preview

Thanks in advance for helping.

21 Replies 21
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Chris66,

You have a weekday price of $219 and a weekend price of $239.  You also offer a 10% discount for anothing 7 days or more.  When a person puts in dates, it takes all the daily prices and then shows an average.  In the example below, I would be staying 5 nights at $219 and 2 nights at $239 and with those nights averaged out (including the cleaning fee) and a 10% discount, it would average out to $202 per night.  I hope this clears things up.

3 Bedroom Apartment in Nusa Dua   Apartments for Rent in Kuta Selatan.png

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Hi @Dave-and-Deb0

Thank you for your quick response.

When you see the base price is not USD $219 but USD $ 226 even when you have not put any dates. If you try to make booking request during weekday only is still USD $ 226 per night. I tried erasing the weekend rate, cleaning fee, and security deposit but it is still USD $ 226 per night. 

As far as I know security deposit should not get affected with discount or weekend rate etc but it is changing also to become USD $ 226 instead of USD $ 219 that I have set. 

Cleaning fee I set as USD $ 38 also changing to become USD $39. 

Thanks

Hi @Chris66,

Your security deposit is showing up as $219.

219.png

239.png

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Hi @Dave-and-Deb0

Actually @Chris is right but his based price is wrongly shown only when I try to see his listing on a private browsing session (no loggin credentials) and it is happending to me as well. My base price in one of my listings is 50 but it is showing as 52, and in the other is 60 but it is shown as 62. The secutiry deposit is also altered. 

Hi @Florencia0,

I just looked at both of your listings and they appear right.  I get $50 for the one and 60 for the other.

$100 security deposit.

David

Hi @Dave-and-Deb0 & @Florencia0

Thank you for your response. 

Apparently when I checked my listing from my Android mobile phone all the prices shown correctly as I have set. But when I check my listing in my laptop using Opera and Google chrome they both shows USD $ 226 per night without putting any dates yet. Security deposit changed. Cleaning fee also changed. I tried to log out and relogin and still same problem. 

Florencia....I also checked your listings using Opera and Google Chrome. What I see in your listings is USD $ 52 per night and USD $62 per night without putting any dates. Security deposit USD $ 103. 

But when I checked using my Android mobile phone they show USD $ 50 and USD $ 60. Security deposit USD $ 100. 

I want to show what i see on my listing and florencia's listings but I cannot attach picture. The option for attaching picture is not directing to my harddrive. Just empty.

Thanks

Florencia0
Level 6
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Yes, I know. I'm seeing the same. It seems to be a bug but in my case I only see it using a private session. Even when I filled some dates the price is wrongly calculated and adds 2 dollars to my rates and 3 dollars to my security deposit. 

I'm sorry @Dave-and-Deb0 you are not able to see this but I'm. I'm sending my screeshots below. Check that I have made a delayed screeshoot on the second one so you can see that inside the calendar my nightly rate is showing right (50usd) but the final calculation is wrong (52usd). 

No Dates

issue.png

With Travel Dates.

02.png

The security deposit should be 100usd but it is shown as 103usd

03.png

Hi @Florencia0,

Could you please take a look in your listing settings and confirm you have $50 in the Base Rate section?  Sorry, but I can usually figure this stuff out but I am baffled.  When I look tonight, it does show $52 and $103 for your security deposit.

florencia.png

David

Yes, my base price is correct (50usd) but for some reason sometimes it is shown as 52usd.

05.png

It looks like if Airbnb is adding a 3% to all of our rates and then rounding the final number to the closer value. If you use my case and @Chris66 numbers that 3% (rounded) make sense to the results we got. 

Hi @Dave-and-Deb0 & @Florencia0

Ok thanks for the explanation. Now I can show what I see from my laptop using Opera and Google Chrome.

This is what I see on Florencia's listings

Capture Florencia air bnb 01.JPG

Capture Florencia airbnb 02.PNG

This is what I see on my listing

Capture airbnb 1.JPG

@Chris66 and @Florencia0,

I think this has to actually do with where we are viewing the listing from.  Since you are viewing from Argentina and Indonesia, Airbnb charges a Currency conversion of 3%.  Now that I have it figured out and my head hurts, I am heading to bed! 

Exchange rates and currency conversion

When the currency you’re paying with is different from the host’s listing currency, we convert your payment automatically.

The base exchange rate uses data from one or more third parties, such as OANDA. It’s updated regularly, but may not be identical to the real-time market rate. If you’re viewing the site and paying in your native currency (according to the billing address on your payment method) and that currency differs from the host's chosen currency, we also charge a 3% conversion fee, which accounts for holding costs and currency risks.

If your payment includes this 3% conversion fee, we'll let you know on the checkout page before you confirm your booking. The conversion fee is separate from and in addition to our guest service fee. The conversion fee is applied to the reservation total after guest service fees have been added.

David

Hi @Dave-and-Deb0,

I'm seeing other listings in my area and they don´t have this 3% applied so it can´t be that. And I know that because in other listings (same location) the price is the same in my logged in seesion as it is on a private browsing session. while on mine listings that price differs for the same browsing session.

This seems to be a glitch and not an easy one to track. It is content sensitive  (depends on the listing) and context sensitive (depends on your browser session). In fact, it is hard to simulate even for myself as not all of my private browsing session shows the price incorrect but some does. I can only share with you my screenhosts (which I did) to catch the price error when it happens.

Hi @Dave-and-Deb0 

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate very much your spending time and energy to find the answer.

However I still find the problem that if you said it is because based on where we are when we check Airbnb and they use currency conversion cost of 3% then what I do not understand is that why when I see the listing from my Android phone the prices are not added with that 3%? And besides security deposit i think should not get affected with currency conversion cost. 

I will try to contact Airbnb about this matter. Hope I could get the solution fast before losing guests.

@Florencia0

I checked another listings and some of them also get increased about 3% when I see it from Opera and Google Chrome in my laptop. Some are not. This is really confusing.

I think we both should contact Airbnb about this as soon as possible. Because if they say this is something error I do not know how long they can fix it. I hope immediately.

Thanks!