Basic kitchen amenities- Groceries

Ilonka9
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Basic kitchen amenities- Groceries

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious to know how many hosts provide groceries; for example salt, pepper oil and so forth and what everyone is providing as a bare minimum and those of you that go above and beyond.

Is there any real value in providing a fully kitted kitchen ( in terms of groceries) 

Regards

Ilonka

9 Replies 9
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Good thread!  Let's see what people say...

I expect it depends on your listing location.  I know people with very remote cabins, where the nearest grocery store is several miles, will provide a starter pantry.

In addition to the breakfast pantry and coffee/tea, we just provide salt & pepper, plus cooking oil. 

The only exception to that is when we have guests from Asia.  For them we include something like curry pasties, sweet fried bread, steam buns, or some basic ingredients for bubur ayam.  We also add soy sauce and chilli sauce to the pantry.  These may look like cooking items to some, but they are breakfast foods.  We do this because our family also run an AirBnb (for much longer than us) and the only bad reviews they have are from unhappy Asian guests who were provided nothing but cereal and milk for breakfast.

I have a well stocked kitchen and provide K-cups for the Keurig, tea, loose coffee for the French press, salt pepper, a spice rack and cooking oil. Also, if a guest leaves something behind like pasta, cereal or frozen food, I leave that as well. I don't leave gifts like chocolate or wine as some people may be

allergic.

JJ48
Level 10
Providence, RI

One of the main features of our listing is a full kitchen to cook in and we get a lot of families who come to visit their students at the local universities and want to make homemade food for them so we stock it pretty well.  We include oils (canola, spray, olive and coconut), vinegars (balsamic and rice wine), a good selection (10 or so) of spices and herbs, the basic condiments (mayo, ketchup, mustard, maple syrup, hot sauce), flour, sugar, rice, a stick of butter, baking soda and baking powder, onions and garlic for folks are going to really cook.  Otherwise we also provide some fresh fruit, some local soda and craft beer (a couple of each), teas, cocoas and coffee, creamer and sweeteners, instant oatmeal and snack bars.  When we have folks that are coming very late or if the weather is turning very bad we usually make sure to put in a box of mac and cheese and a couple of cans of soup (and stash a couple of frozen pizzas in our freezer in case of a snow-in so we have them to offer if needed).  The "kitchen you can cook in" is definitely a niche for our place.  However, we have a 2-room studio that we'll list this spring with only a minimal kitchenette and that will be very basic for coffee/tea/cocoa and some fruit most likely but will be a different audience.  We've had families meet up for days and cook in the apartment, making the whole house smell great and we've even been given some scratch-made pie, definitely making it worth it.  The scene is quite heart-warming to me as well so I like providing all the stuff and ultimately, the majority of guests don't use much at all, some use nothing and the ones who cook never use everything - e.g. I'm pleasantly surprised that the restocking is really not much at all.  Except the "vegan hot chocolate" which is consumed madly - never ceasing to amuse me since we're not particularly getting vegans.  Who would have thought?

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Herbs! You just reminded me @JJ48  we include a full spice rack also. Guests don’t want to have to buy an whole box of dried spices or herbs just for one stay, so we figure we can provide a full set at barely any cost. Also, there is an outdoor herb garden they can help themselves to (overflowing at the moment!), full lemon tree, lettuce plants and strawberries that grow right next to their private breakfast area... it’s all for guests so I guess it’s garden groceries.

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

@Ilonka9 @Ben551 @JJ48 @Aimee29  My airbnb Cottage is not far from my home, in the begining I did NOT offer basic pantry items, ( salt,pepper, oil, sugar,.....etc ) however after numerous knocks on my door from guests for a cup of oil, sugar....etc I decided to stock it with the basics.

Basic Cottage pantryBasic Cottage pantry

Rubén
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Ilonka9 I do live in a town with a grocery store that opens early and closes late, but I think it's a bit of a hassle for guests to have to buy a whole bag of sugar or bottle of oil if they only need a bit.

I provide:

- A full rack of spices, including salt and pepper;

- Cooking oil;

- Vinegar;

- Milk and cream for hot beverages;

- Coffee and tea.

The coffee is probably the most expensive to provide, and probably averages out to about $2 per stay. Everything else gets very little use, and I think it might average out to maybe $0.10 per stay to supply. I think it adds some value for a very small cost, and I think it's worthwhile.

I don't leave any other food for people, because with all of the allergies and dietary requirements they seem to have, I don't feel it's worthwhile. We live in a fruitgrowning region, so sometimes I leave some fruit for people when it's in season, but I think it's a fairly safe choice.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

The best way to approach this question is to imagine that you are the guest. So you arrive at the location, what do you need to see there? Every house, purpose and location will be different. Some things are annoying to buy because you only want a dribble, like olive oil. Great to keep a bottle. Salt, pepper, sugar ditto. Hardly costs me anything to keep coffee, but I use loose weight, not any cups. I spend a lot more on tea which is something I go all out for.

Make yourself a happy guest and others will hopefully follow suit. (though you cannot please everyone)

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Ilonka9

My apartments are economical, so I concentrate on being economical

Coffee, tea, sugar, creamer, salt, pepper, oil and vinegar provided. 

This is not only because I'm cheap. It's also because it would be very difficult for me to administer more food options - expiration dates, cleanliness of bottle, correct choice...

I do offer groceries supplied to those who give ask ahead of time and pay $$

Ilonka9
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Thank you everyone, you have given me much to think about.