“Bathroom Hair”.....god forbid-picky guests who don’t say anything then leave bad review

Kelmany0
Level 4
Ontario, Canada

“Bathroom Hair”.....god forbid-picky guests who don’t say anything then leave bad review

I am 9 months into this Airbnb thing and I am getting so sick and tired of picky self entitled princesses who complain after the fact that the hair they left in the Airbnb bathroom didn’t get automatically wiped up by me after they left it there. Like I have time to run into a bathroom 30 times per day looking for a hair.

The review process of allowing a guest to complain about “hair” in the bathroom is driving me to decide to delist. I am sick of it. It’s a bathroom. People wash dry and brush their hair in a bathroom. What else would you see in a bathroom but your hair there after you use it....ugh! Furthermore, I see a trend that complaints happen by white guests when a black guest shares the same washroom and it it flat out NOT cool! 

I just need to vent. 

21 Replies 21
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kelmany0,

I did see only 1 recent review mentioning the bathroom (allthough not about the hairs), so probably it was in a private comment ? 30 times a day running into the bathroom to cleanup ? It means your guests are using it a lot !

My concern is more the hairs blocking  the drains from guests taken a shower. Recently a week i pulled out some much, you can almost make a wig off it ! And yes, there are hairs elsewhere, but most guest clean them up by themself. The hairs also should not be everywhere on the bathroom floor when taking some care when doing the hairs. But the ultimate solution is maybe: only bold (correction thanks to @Susan151:  BALD) guests can make a reservation !

Best regards,

Emiel

@Emiel1 wrote:

@Kelmany0,

But the ultimate solution is maybe: only bold guests can make a reservation !

Emiel

::smiling:: Only bold guests who are bald!

Ha ha ha..... “bald guest only” ..... might be the solution. I just get so frustrated when ya work so hard and open your personal space and then you get the princess with “omg a hair beside the box of Lysol wipes”in the bathroom that swells of mr clean and javex .....ugh

Ugh - me too. I got one of those yellow spike things to pull hair out of drains. Could make a Wookie Star Wars costume with what I'm getting.

Yep - hair - the bane of my existence. On the rugs, on the pillows and linens, and the bathroom floor.  We now lint roller the floors, the pillows, the linens, etc. before and after putting them in the laundry.

Welcome to the Airbnb "hair" club 🙂

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Kelmany0,

Most people are grossed out by hair. When you have a shared space with multiple people using the bathroom the only thing you can do is try your best. Which it seems like you are. You have great glowing reviews, don't worry about it!

On a side note: I once helped an elderly women clean after she hosted 4 African men and women visiting the country with their church group. They were all sharing one bathroom. When I went to clean the bathroom after their weeklong visit, I was shocked to find not a single hair! Not a single one anywhere in the bathroom! I was amazed! And it made cleaning so easy!

Neli5
Level 4
BG, Serbia

@Kelmany0, its a shared bathroom so there are bound to be problems. Perhaps you could consider adding a nice sign with bathroom rules: This is a shared bathroom. Please clean up after use......

Neli

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I really don't get the totally grossed out by hair thing. I raised three daughters, all of whom had long hair, as did I. I guess I'm immune from the gross-out factor 🙂

That’s probably why I think it’s natural that their hair is going to be in their bathroom after they use it. I grew up with 3 sisters and a brother and I was way more grossed out by the pee drips he left behind.....I can understand if it was pee or dirt but a hair....seriously. And it is to be noted that we have our own master bathroom so the bathroom in question is literally not used by anyone in our family. It’s a 100 percent designated Airbnb bathroom and the only hairs that could possibly be there are theirs. 

Kelmany0
Level 4
Ontario, Canada

I do appreciate this forum so I can rant about a hosting woe and then get on with my day 😊

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Go for a hand written sign! 

Please do not leave any personal items in this space.

If a shared space......

Hygiene and cleanliness is important to us. May we request you are considerate of others and leave the space free from body hair and disused items. Please place all waste in the bins provided.” 🙂

I wrote it word for word. Thank you

I am afraid of those people who pay half of the rate of the hotel but ask for all amenities like hotel! Of course the half rate doesn't discount the cleaness, however it is possible that its their hair too!! I am 5 years into it but when I see comment like this, i am still a little bit agitated... 🙂 

Exactly. And YES other people body hair is gross so how do they think I feel when they appear to expect me to clean up their body hair. I am a clean freak and it does gross me out. I clean, wash and sweep the entire house constantly because other persons body dander obviously infiltrates our home. I can’t imagine expecting others to clean up my bathroom mess so why can’t they simply clean up after themselves in the washroom. I hate it.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I have long hair and it does shed in the bathroom, especially when I wash it, but I always make sure to clean it all away so that there is not a single hair left in the shower and I am careful not to let it get in the drain. In fact, a bathroom alwasys looks cleaner after I've used it than it did before! I'm not OCD, I just understand that other people do not want to shower with my hair. It really doesn't take much effort and has become such a routine that it's the same when I have a bathroom all to myself, e.g. when I stay at a hotel.

However, I find that many guests do not think twice about leaving the shower covered in hairs, especially a load of it blocking the drain. Guests leave the bathtub covered in stubble. Worst are the ones who leave the shower or bath covered in pubic hair. Aren't they embarrassed to do this knowing someone else is going to see that? It's gross to clean up, but with bathrooms shared between different guests, it's just something I have to do. 

It would really annoy me though if guests were complaining about the hair they left themselves. That's pretty unreasonable. @Kelmany0 are they expecting you to camp outside the bathroom so that you can clean up after them every time they use it? You don't even get that in a 5 star hotel whre you are paying way more. You get housekeeping once a day and that's it.