“Bathroom Hair”.....god forbid-picky guests who don’t say anything then leave bad review

Kelmany0
Level 4
Ontario, Canada

“Bathroom Hair”.....god forbid-picky guests who don’t say anything then leave bad review

I am 9 months into this Airbnb thing and I am getting so sick and tired of picky self entitled princesses who complain after the fact that the hair they left in the Airbnb bathroom didn’t get automatically wiped up by me after they left it there. Like I have time to run into a bathroom 30 times per day looking for a hair.

The review process of allowing a guest to complain about “hair” in the bathroom is driving me to decide to delist. I am sick of it. It’s a bathroom. People wash dry and brush their hair in a bathroom. What else would you see in a bathroom but your hair there after you use it....ugh! Furthermore, I see a trend that complaints happen by white guests when a black guest shares the same washroom and it it flat out NOT cool! 

I just need to vent. 

21 Replies 21

Exactly. Really what they are advertising is they are dirty and messy in the bathroom and I didn’t go clean up after them so they are annoyed. It’s the expectation that a cleaning fee seems to mean 24/7 housekeeping and butler service at a fraction of the price. Again, the review process enables guests to rate you poorly for things you never committed to deliver in the first place. The Airbnb people need to rethink their rating process. 

I offer fed full refund for anyone who isn’t happy because I don’t want to share my space with negative people. These people “stay” and then act like they got victimized for staying at a Airbnb that didn’t provide 24/7 housekeeping and full time butler service. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

This is the problem of shared bathrooms.

Communal = Shared responsibility = Blaming others = Passing the buck.

No one believes that they are the ones who leave hairs - It's always someone else's problem.

It is what it is.

Yes, you can put up a sign: "Bathroom cleaned daily. For everyone's consideration, Please clean up after use"

You can provide cloths to wash down/dry surfaces after use.

You can ask guests to not leave their stuff on the bathroom counters.

But it is what it is. Although guests like the pricing that goes with shared bathrooms, they don't like the problems that come with shared bathrooms.

I try to "hit" my shared bathrooms twice a day. NOT to do a deep cleaning, but just to wipe down hair/surfaces, clear out garbage and shine the chrome. 3 minutes tops.  

Sue769
Level 1
Pennant Hills, AU

Does anyone have any tips of getting rid of hair in the bathroom beofre cleaning it. Its natural to find some hair after a guest but I seem to chase it around the bathroom and everytime I try and wipe one away I deposit a couple from the cloth. Any tips would be really appreciated. Thanks

@Sue769   Well, I vacuum every square inch before I get to work with a wet cloth. Not just the floor- I vacuum down walls, under the sinks, shelves, everything. I've learned to be really quick and thorough about this, as I have a heavy shedder dog- she doesn't enter the guest space, and rarely even comes in the house at all, but all she has to do is walk by and there's sure to be dog hair somewhere. So the vacuuming takes care of both the dog hair and the people hair. 

@Sue769 

Henry is in charge of our bathroom and he always starts with vaccuming. (Assuming the bathroom is dry.) He also uses a strip of box tape or the sticky roller to trap stray hairs. 

After mopping I have a powerful fan that dries the shower, the floor, the vanity top, etc. Then I vacuum. Mopping never gets everything.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Making sure that no stray hair has survived cleaning is one of THE most important things you have to do as a host if you want to impress guests. The last thing I do in my final inspection is look for stray hair. Mops and sponges ALWAYS miss some hair. Hair also often survives the washer and dryer cycles. Get stray hair off of those sheets and towels!

Also ironing exposed sheets make a big difference. It's all about perception. BTW people perceive WHITE sheets as being the most cleanly.