Bathroom Remodel - Ditching a Tub for a Shower?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Bathroom Remodel - Ditching a Tub for a Shower?

Hello all! We are going to be remodelling the bathroom in our primary Airbnb space in March, and we are thinking of getting rid of the bathtub and replacing it with a walk-in shower only. Have you done this, or do you have an Airbnb apartment that only has a shower? I've stayed in them, and I personally like it. Our bathtub is nothing to write home about, and we don't really get many families staying, so I don't think it's ever used as a tub. Most of our guests are adults who are visitng the area for winery tours or weddings. Our secondary Airbnb also has a walk-in shower, but there are two bathrooms and the other one has a tub so it's less of a concern.

I'd love any feedback: is this a bad idea? Is this a good idea? Would it put you off staying with us?

Here are a couple of pics to give an idea of what it's like now.

Bathroom.jpgBathroom 2.jpg

73 Replies 73
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great question @Alexandra316, it is exciting to hear you are renovating your bathroom. 🙂

Personally, I am much more of a shower person than a bath person and so when I stay in Airbnbs I am more likely to book somewhere which has only a shower than only a bath. I think if you were trying to attract families a bath is a must, but as you have said you are not trying to attract that audience. 

Would you consider a bath/shower combo again?

This is me though. What do others think? 

@Emiel1, @Marzena4, @Linda108, @Fred13, @Kimberly54, @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0, @Marit-Anne0@Huma0@J-Renato0@Alice-and-Jeff0@Lawrene0@Ria16@Jeff@Karen & Brian@Rene-and-Zac0@Robin4@David126@Rebecca181@Branka-and-Silvia0 , @Ben205@Matthew285@Jessica-and-Henry0@Kelly149@Helen3@Sarah977@David & Fiona

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie I know is in the UK and not sure if she has experienced North Americans baths which are very different to those in the UK.

Anyway it is a cultural thing, maybe also depends on your hosting style. I would go for a nice shower rather than a not so nice/squashed tub, most people this side of the pond go for showers.

Now if it was high end and you have space do both.

I am actually remodelling and two rooms will have baths, ones you can soak in, but they also have shower heads above. To be honest one will be for me, I miss a decent bath.

The rest are shower only.

David

@Lizzie I would consider it, it's just that the space is a bit small and the newer tubs won't fit. Our house was built in the 1960s (we think) when tubs were narrower. I don't have anything against tubs: I just don't think ours gets much use and I do like walk-in showers. Unless a bathtub at an Airbnb was amazing (free-standing, for example) I would never use it. I have lived in the same house for 2 years, and I haven't used either of the bath tubs since I moved in.

@David126 That's actually an interesting idea: there is currently no space for both a bath and a shower, but it actually wouldn't be that hard to knock the wall through beside it and add more space. Something to think about.

We are actually doing a few bigger improvements this year to the Airbnb: we're redoing the bathroom, replacing some windows, and paving the driveway.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw that's funny how bath tub shapes have changed over the years @Alexandra316. 🙂 It sounds like you have a busy year of improvements ahead of you. I am sure you will feel a big positive impact from all of these changes. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie Hopefully! We're busy all the time anyways, but I hope it gives our guests a better experience.

Hi @Lizzie and all,  For the guest bathroom, there is both... super yummy shower-head; the bath tub is a little shallow/cramped for my style, but nothing is changing now.  My bathroom?  Only a shower--pretty, efficient, and I MISS a good relaxing bath! 

Best,

Kim
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Morena @Lizzie  @Alexandra316et al. Drools🐳 I love baths and always will try and pick a room with a bath in any hotel we stay at. There is nothing better then sitting in the tub with a real book, some sounds, a cup of tea or even a mango 🙂 

@Ria16 I do enjoy a really good bathtub. I spoke at a conference at a very posh resort hotel in November and they put me up in a pretty fancy suite with a massive tub. I was in there every night with a book!

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Alexandra316This is a question I have recent experience of. When we built our holiday let (an old building from 1650s that was falling down, with no bathroom and an outside toilet!), we chose to put in only a shower. A nice one, with good space and clean lines. People comment how much they like it, though of course we never hear from the people it has put off renting our place!

Since then, we've taken out the bath in our own home and put in a shower! The bath was costing a fortune with two daughters filling it every night. That said, I doubt we'll ever earn back the investment given what we spent on fixtures and fittings. But, it's made a big difference to the room and our enjoyment of it.

I'd say, yes, ditch the bath and go shower-only!

31da8dd8-2e7d-4c24-b58d-4da618506709.jpg

@Ben205 Wow, your bathroom is really nice! My old house used to have only a shower also: it was a renovated brick factory, and there was no room for a tub. I liked it also.

I agree Ben, I remodelled the main bathroom in my guest apartment and took out the small bath and put in a walk in shower with Moroccan style tiles which everyone loves. Easy to clean and safer than stepping into a bathtub with shower overhead. I am renting out the house as a whole this season and have no tub in the house at all, but I don't host families as it is my home most of the year and I never had children to make the adjustments. That and a sloping garden which is not child friendly. 

What did you use for the base and walls of this shower? I like the look.

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Alexandra316@Lizzie Your bathroom looks nice and i totally agree with Lizzie that a shower is a much better option.I believe it is safer and more economical to have a shower than a bathtub.

Thanks @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0! I don't think it looks awful, but it's time for something new for sure.