Bathroom flooded

Zephyr0
Level 6
Monterey, CA

Bathroom flooded

I had 2 guests come. When they left I went into my guest house and the bathroom had flooded. They evidently took 3 big towels and tried to clean it up. The flood was caused by them not putting the shower curtain inside to tub even though as I was checking them in I told them this was important. It is a claw foot tub and the curtain goes all the way around. When I got to it there was still a lot of standing water on the floor which would have been damaged if I hadn't gotten to it right away not to mention the wet wooden basket where they put the towels.

7 Replies 7
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi there...I'm from Templeton so I know your area pretty well.  I go to golf tournaments in Monterey/ Carmel all the time!  So sorry to hear about the flooding!  Some people are just mindless! I hope it didn't cause significant damage, but if so perhaps you can get some compensation from your security deposit.  All the best, Clare

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

Make sure the curtain is in the correct position before the guest checks in...inside the tub so that the wet part is exposed to the air, not the tub. This will also help keep down mold/mildew problems.

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

Out of curiousity, were they Asian??  I just posted this in the Hosts forum.  Take a look at the reply from Branka, it's very informative.  https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Cultural-Differences-in-the-Bathroom-HELP/m-p/314494/highlight...

Alexandros9
Level 3
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Lisa367

I think you can probably move on from this whole Asian thing. I hope you do know that Asia is a continent and that you're kind of implying that more than a billion people are messy in the shower room.

alexander, actually i was specifically talking about the 45 or so guests from asia that ive hosted.  you clearly misread and that's your issue, not mine.  no need to get politically correct, you clearly knew what i meant and now you're just trying to start some lame argument.  and my question has been answered, thank you.

Alexandros9
Level 3
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Lisa367

If you've taken my comment as an invitation for an argument, then I apologise. It wasn't meant to be offensive nor am I attempting to be politically correct.

I made that comment because I saw your post asking if there's a cultural difference with guests from Asia based on the amount of water outside the shower/tub. Then, just a few posts down, you've replied to a host concerned about flood damage with "are they Asian?". Do you see why maybe it's just slightly generalising? I'm not Asian and I've spilt water outside the tub before. Plus, what would you be achieving if they were Asian? Would you suggest the host explain to every "Asian" how to use the tub correctly? 

Honestly, I know you're not intending to be malicious or anything of that nature. Just keep in mind that Airbnb has been very serious about non-discrimination -- and again, I'm not suggesting you're discriminating. 

Hope me that clears my intention up.

@Alexandros9  today in age things can come across as one thing when clearly they are something else.  i used the term "asian" because i am referring to guests of several countries in that region (korea and china, for example).  i think asking for advice trying to understand a cultural difference is the exact opposite of discrimination.  i think we all need to stop reading into things too much.