Be Careful with your Messages in Airbnb Chat

Alex1628
Level 3
Kotor, Montenegro

Be Careful with your Messages in Airbnb Chat

That's a very unfortunate situation: being an Airbnb host, from some point of time I started receiving messages with other guests for listings that I have no relation to.

From one side, I can simply ignore it, but from another - who can guarantee that communications with my guests for my listings don't go to other users?...

Having created a support case in Airbnb, I simply got a message that it'll be addressed within 24 hours, irrespective that I indicated that it's a breach of confidentiality.

So, being a host or a guest, please be careful with information you circulate in the Airbnb messages. "Better to be safe than sorry" as an old proverb says

4 Replies 4
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Alex1628 no one can guarantee, that is why we have to keep everything very professional. 

We do as well, yet sometimes guests share their contacts, or passport data that we need for guests registration. I personally believe confidentiality shall be one of the top priorities...

@Alex1628I don't see any issues with the passport and contact information sent in Airbnb message app. It is supposed to be Airbnb's responsibility to keep these messages secure and confidential.

As hosts, we just make sure that we don't give those info outside of Airbnb message app.

Yes, there is something very wrong with their messaging system. I was in a chat thread with support, and suddenly a message popped up from my own profile name and photo that I did not write! The grammar, punctuation and diction were not mine. I reported it by phone and of course support claimed there were no bugs reported, etc.