Discussion: Any Bed bug prevention tips and ideas?

Bianca50
Level 1
Fort Wayne, IN

Discussion: Any Bed bug prevention tips and ideas?

Hello Everyone, 

I am a new host to Airbnb. One of the things that crosses my mind is bed bug prevention. I have never had bed bugs, but I have heard that they are hard  ( and expensive) to get rid of.

I was reaching out to the community to see how other hosts prevent bed bugs?

16 Replies 16
Zach6
Level 1
Wilmington, NC

Hi Bianca! Bed bugs can be prevented by keeping a very clean space and updating bedding. We thoroughly clean our house after every guest and also pay an extermination service to treat monthly. 

Happy Hosting!

Zach

Hi @Bianca50

This is the line that we use:

https://protectabed.com.au/collections/fully-encased-mattress-protectors

They also have fabulous quilt protectors.

I do not work for this company, just a satisfied customer.

Vacuuming and sunshine are also very good for the mattress.

PS @Bianca50

This is just a mattress case.  You must also use a mattress protector so that you do not have to remove the envelope regularly to wash it.  We have 36 beds and have never - in 4 years - had a guest bring in bed bugs.  I used to worry about it and did a fair bit of research but I think the wisest avenue is to get the protectors then just put it completely out of your mind!  If we ever did get them, I would likely try to use steam to get rid of them - seems a bit more holistic...

Trust me, if you have transient guests traveling from Hotel to Hotel, you will not prevent an infestation of bed bugs with just the matress and boxsprings encasements.  They just protect your matresses in case of a bed bug invasion so that you dont have to replace them.   

You've  been ucky, so far!  

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's just something you need to be aware of because I know that you think you've taken proper precautions.. As a fellow host with multiple properties, just wanted to share.

Thank you for sharing your research and resources - much appreciated!

Hiroshi-And-Naomi0
Level 2
Winnipeg, Canada

Hello,

Not sure how things are going regarding your BB prevention but here is a link to some do it yourself options. 

http://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/biting-stinging/others/ent-3012/

We have a friend who is currently dealing with them in his apartment so we are becoming more proactive in order to prevent the buggers from entering our home. However, like many hosts doing this, we don't have a lot of money to spend and we aren't getting tons of money hosting. 

I heard steam cleaning is a great method and kills them and their eggs instantly. We are going to invest in one. So far, we haven't had any issues but we try to be very vigilant and we're always cleaning the room. Get yourself a "bed bug light". The UV light shines organic matter like CSI. We found our cat's paw print on the sofa once (he must have had pee on his paws). There's a lot of material out now about BB. 

Good luck. 

Hiroshi 

Nina487
Level 1
State College, PA

YES! There is a product in the US that is labelled for 'prevention of bed bug infestations'.  It was developed by Penn State University and is used by Pest Management Professionals to both treat and prevent bed bug infestations.  Unfortunately it is not sold to the general public, but you can have a quarterly prevenative treatment applied by a pest control compnay.  The wensite for the product is www.aprehend.com  The product isin't even a chemical toxin, but a natural biopesticide that is specific to insects.  I am going to have my property protected with this product so that if clients bring in bed bugs, they cannont go on to establish and infestation.  I think this is the only way to ensure that if guests bring bedbugs in, that they don't become my problem.

Hi Nina, is this product working for you, so far?

Mark1644
Level 2
Oakland, CA

Generally speaking I would say, no, there is no way to protect yourself from bedbugs. There is no way to screen guests for them. If a guest has them, and stays for a week or two, they are going to have a foothold in your listing. These hosts are deluding themselves.

Airbnb does nothing to help you either with regard to prevention or treatment. They have offered to reimburse me for my $250 inspection though.

In my area, if you do get infested from one of your guests, it costs $1,500-$2,400 to treat. So beware! I am suspending my hosting until I find out an effective solution. And since I rent my study, I have to live with the nightmare of living with the bedbugs. I had a guest who left one bedbug, according to the canine inspection I had. I was very very lucky (I think). I found the one bedbug and the canine inspection could find no further evidence.

That was enough of a wake up call for me. Airbnb is seriously sleeping on this issue. If it's rare, they should just have their hosts' back and help them with info and treatment support. If it's not rare, they are exposing their hosts to a tremendous level of risk, which is unconscionable. 

Debbie594
Level 2
Tamarac, FL

As a pest control professional,  I just had an airbnb customer of mine contact me...his listings have bedbugs.

There is no prevention, only treatment. 

As with steam,  heat kills everything.

While cleaning,  if it can go in a dryer,  put in for 45 minutes on high...pillows, throws, area rugs, etc.

They typically live within 5-6 feet of beds, chairs, sofas, etc.

Encasements mean you can see everything. 

Evidence includes small blood smears on sheets, so if you see this afterwards,  assume your guests brought them in.  

Cycle of reproduction is fast and very few products kill eggs regardless of what they say.

Standard treatment includes 2 treatments 10-14 days apart to address eggs hatching.

Treatment includes baseboards,  outlets, dressers, nightstands,  and if you can, use simple headboards easy to inspect. ..not anything cloth based with and lots of sewn tufts (hiding places they love)

As far as preventive steps; if I were listing, would include treating (as part of cleaning regimen ) bedframes, sofas/chairs and empty dressers/nightstands (whole thing inside and bottom/back with an aerosol  product called Bedlam if you can find it.

Seems to be worth the effort if they are going to make you prove treatment before listing again.

Serious enough an issue that when I have inspected for them during my day, first thing when I walk in the door is everything I'm wearing goes in the washer before I go any further. 

Treatment cost should be somewhere in the neighborhood of $200/room (rooms with soft furniture,  not kitchen, baths, etc.) if you find yourself with an issue. 

I am doing one this week for a current customer for  $150/room (including both treatments).

I am in the south florida area if you need more information...Joel 9546614978...advice is free.

Having read a CNET article just today on this problem, I have unfortunate news. I recently was a guest at one of the most posh villas in Italy. Very high end. My host's son got bedbugs undoubtedly furnished to this particular array of bedding by a recent renter. The company's not going to like what I have to say so this may be my one and only salvo.

Don't be a host.

Sorry. It's just not worth it. This is the biggest reason we've elected not to use AirBNB, VRBO or any other. If we did change our approach and decide, as you may have, that "we can't afford not to" monetize a property when not in use, you need to have bedbug inspection (and where needed remediation) each and every time in-between users. If they're there just a night or two, can this possibly make sense?

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Using a dryer prevents this problem in general. But not 100%.

Good mattress case is the first step. Next is steam cleaner. Next is the vacuum cleaner-good vacuum after every guest is very helpful.

Chris773
Level 7
Branson, MO

Every bed and mattress and box spring in all of my properties is fully encased in bed-bug-proof protectors. I'm now dealing with my second bedbug report. The protectors prevent the bugs from taking hold inside of the mattress/box spring but doesn't prevent them from moving in elsewhere (inside the power outlet covers, cracks in the floor, whatever).

Unfortunately, as someone upthread said, there is no prevention, only treatment, so I guess the best thing to do is find a way to minimize the cost of treatment. Last time I did a heat treatment. This time, I'm going to try a provider who uses Aprehend as it's a quarter of the cost and supposedly just as effective.

I've already had Airbnb rebook my next guest and now I have my previous guest (who reported the bedbugs) demanding compensation. Even if I could legally decline to refund them (I have a clause in my rental agreement disclaiming liability for bed bugs), the threat of a bad review compels me to offer them something. I just need to figure out how much.

Liz3506
Level 2
Bristol, VA

I am scared of bed bugs and just nastiness in general.  I have two mattress protectors. Wash all bedding and throw pillows in dryer on high heat for 30 mins.  I  vacuum and spray a bed bug egg killer on mattress couch and headboard.  So far I haven’t had any problems. 

does  the aprehend product work??