Which Bedding set up works best for you?

G-C-R-M0
Level 7
California, United States

Which Bedding set up works best for you?

Hey fellow hosts,

I wanted to send out a poll here on how hosts usually set up your bedroom beddings.  What I mean by this is the way you put together the bottom sheet, top sheet vs duvet, comforter.

Please respond to the thread using 1 or 2:
1. American/Traditional set up - bottom sheet, top/flat sheet, comforter without duvet

2. European/Millenial set up - bottom sheet, NO top/flat sheet, comforter inside duvet cover

And if you have additional thoughts/comments on why one over the other, that'd be appreciated.

I read somewhere that set up with top sheet is really impractical and is going away, to the point that most sellers now do not even sell top sheet in the set anymore, and you have to purchase it separately.

Duvet covers make sense because you just wrap your comforter and voila! you're done. This is the standard in Europe, and now millenials are adopting it.

Thanks for your time and input!

88 Replies 88
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@G-C-R-M0 while I personally use a duvet cover in my home, I set up airbnb with top sheet as it is a lot faster to dry and takes less room in the washing machine so the washing part is sped up as well as I can fit more into one load

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

Thanks @Inna22 - Do you have a comforter on top of this?  What do you do with the comforter, sounds like it doesn't get washed then?

Yes, a comforter on top. We wash those every few months

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Modified 1. as this is Malaysia and pretty warm. The only time they'd need the comforters is if they've got the ac on full tilt. Most the time a sheet is all that's needed. That said, a lot of Asian guests don't understand the top sheet idea so cover is used as well. 

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

@Jim472  - Ah, yea, no bother there. When we go back to Singapore and Indonesia, we don't even have sheets to cover on top. It's too **bleep** hot! 🙂

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@G-C-R-M0 this is a bugbear for many hosts. Personally, I use a top sheet as well as comforter cover as that is standard here and its nice to have a sheet if it's too warm for the comforter. However, I note that many of my Asian guests don't like the top sheet, even taking it off altogether. I fold the top of the sheet over the comforter to prompt them to lie under it instead of on top of it. But I'm really not sure what is the best way to go because many people are used to having a top sheet and might think it's weird not to have one. Different strokes for different folks...

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@Kath9 Yup, Asian guests. I did the folding thing to begin with but kept finding the sheet on the floor. I just took off the comforter, put it in the wardrobe, and pointed it out. Left the sheet on the bed and that seems to get the point across. 

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

@Kath9  - I would venture to guest that even European guests probably aren't fond of it either?
Certainly not Dutch guests?

Do you wash the comforter after every guest? If not, how often?

In SF bay area, the climate isn't that extreme, so the duvet/comforter we use is lightweight and would work year round.

@G-C-R-M0 my comforter is a duvet with a cover. I don't wash the duvet itself but I do wash the cover in between guests. It's not that difficult to get on/off but I suppose it's what people are used to. I use @Anonymous 's method - turn the duvet cover inside out, stick your arms inside and grab the top two corners, pick up the corners of the duvet through the cover, then shake it all through until it is the right side out. Voila!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@G-C-R-M0  Your limit of #1 or #2 doesn't really work, as you can see. 🙂

Bottom sheet, top sheet, and blanket. Warm duvet provided for colder nights in winter, although it never really gets what people would call cold here. And still top sheet with the duvet.

Same as Jim, much of the year here you'd only want a top sheet- a duvet, even a summer weight one, would be too warm.

The duvet thing is more laundry- the duvet cover is like washing 2 top sheets. Plus the hassle of getting it on and off. On my own bed, I use a top sheet and a duvet in the winter- the sheet gets changed every 2 weeks, but the duvet cover I only wash a couple times a season.

Only had one guest, from Europe, confused about what she was meant to sleep under and over. But she came and asked me, it was sweet.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The "American" style was widely used around for decades. I mean...from the late 50's to the late 90's, when most of the hotels tried to offer a "home" atmosphere. After, a new kind of  industry standard took place and now the "Millenial" system is most common. Actually, you can still see the "American" system in use. It's cheaper and  takes less space, but it's "out of fashion".

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

But, it isn't a 'comforter' in the duvet cover, it's a duvet.

The last time (certainly in the UK) I experienced a top sheet was at my granny's house. It was flannelette (pink/grey), sometime around 1990. I remember it felt like I was being 'secured' somehow. Not a nice feeling. 

As for those flowery quilt-like things you find in US hotels, they go straight in the wardrobe, as do the cushions. I suspect they aren't cleaned after every guest. Yuk.

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

LOL. Yea.. duvet, comforter, what's the diff... 🙂
But anyway, yes, top sheet I personally never like myself. It's 1) too much work, 2) just too constrictive for my taste.

Here in northern CA bay area, our weather rarely goes to freezing, and even so, inside the house is still going to be nice/warm in the winter (I guess this depends on the guest, because I had a guest from Scotland who lowered the temp to 60F inside).

So what I meant by comforter/duvet earlier is actually a light-weight one, not a thick/heavy one.

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

Oh, and BTW, those same Scottish guests didn't have any confusion at all with our bedding setup, in fact, they even went the extra mile to take the comforter (or duvet) out of the cover. How nice and sweet!

But I was freezing for the whole day on the day they left while I was doing stuff at the house cause the temp inside barely touched 70F (20C). It pretty much stayed at 62F (15-16C) the whole day.