Which Bedding set up works best for you?

G-C-R-M0
Level 7
California, United States

Which Bedding set up works best for you?

Hey fellow hosts,

I wanted to send out a poll here on how hosts usually set up your bedroom beddings.  What I mean by this is the way you put together the bottom sheet, top sheet vs duvet, comforter.

Please respond to the thread using 1 or 2:
1. American/Traditional set up - bottom sheet, top/flat sheet, comforter without duvet

2. European/Millenial set up - bottom sheet, NO top/flat sheet, comforter inside duvet cover

And if you have additional thoughts/comments on why one over the other, that'd be appreciated.

I read somewhere that set up with top sheet is really impractical and is going away, to the point that most sellers now do not even sell top sheet in the set anymore, and you have to purchase it separately.

Duvet covers make sense because you just wrap your comforter and voila! you're done. This is the standard in Europe, and now millenials are adopting it.

Thanks for your time and input!

88 Replies 88
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@G-C-R-M0  Freezing at 20C so funny!!

It's about that here inside my place at the moment in Auckland, shorts & T shirt weather, Yay!!

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

@Helen427  - We're Californians! LOL

But I also misspoke/misremembered. It actually didn't even get close to 70F (20C) that day in the house. It was creeping up slowly to 65F, and was mostly at 62F (15-16C). I guess pretty good insulation does that.

My mom is visiting Dunedin this week and it's still very cold I heard.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@G-C-R-M0 
What type of insulation?

I had a guest recently who had a whacky sense of humour & said he doesn't really feel the cold as he has plenty of insulation - as in body fat - he's openly on a diet & trying to lose weight.

I'm sure your mum will have a fabulous time in Dunedin, it's colder/ crisper than Auckland however they have delightful heritage buildings & gardens.

Is she staying in ABB on her trip?
If so I hope that they look after her very well & that they pop into CC.

Is she visiting anywhere else in NZ, like Auckland??

All the best from a sunny but windy day here today

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

It's typical insulation we have here in the US, but I guess they probably throw extra. It's those fiberglass type they blow into the attic and in the walls.

Yea, it's pretty cold alright. She was in Auckland as well. No, she's unfortunately not doing ABB. She's too old for that kind of stuff, not internet savvy. Plus in this trip they are actually staying at relatives who are hosting the wedding.

Take care!! Summer is almost there, eh?

@G-C-R-M0  What do you mean "constrictive"? While I tuck in the top sheet when I make the bed for guests' arrival,  I never sleep with it tucked in anywhere myself, nor do I tuck it in when making my own bed. That would drive me crazy. Never been able to sleep in a sleeping bag for exactly that reason- need to be able to stick my feet, knee, or arm out.

Did you really think everyone sleeps with the top sheet all tucked in under the mattress?

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

@Sarah977 - Yea, maybe it's just me, or maybe I am using it wrong then. LOL

@G-C-R-M0  Yeah, you're using it wrong. Some people like being all tucked in, but the first thing I do if I sleep somewhere that has a top sheet, usually all tucked in tight, is pull it all out from under the mattress. 

@Sarah977, no way do I sleep with it all tucked in. I feel the same about sleeping bags - I have to be able to stick my foot out if necessary. No, I don't find a sheet constrictive in the slightest and like to be able to throw the duvet (what we call a doona here) if it's too warm but still have the sheet. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Jim472 @G-C-R-M0 @Gordon0 @Dimitar27 @Sarah977, I had no idea it was considered old fashioned to have a top sheet. But what I don't get is that in summer, when the duvet is potentially too warm, what do you have on top of you? Nothing? Isn't it good to have at least have a top sheet in that case?

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

We have a winter and a summer duvet. Oh, and our 'hot' summer isn't much like yours, @Kath9.

@Kath9  I did read a post from a guest here on the forum who said they were staying somewhere in Europe and had a terrible sleep because there was no top sheet, only a duvet, the duvet was too hot for them, so they had nothing to cover up with. They spent all night pulling up the duvet, getting too hot and sweaty, and throwing it off again, then waking up cold. Even if it's warm out, people still like having something to pull up over themselves. 

It seems to me it would be a good idea for hosts in places where only duvets are commonly used, to provide a top sheet as well, even if it's only left folded up in the closet, in case a guest wants to use it.

I suspect the "millennial" bedding style of only a duvet has something to do with their preference for things which are quick and easy, like Instant Book and communicating in 5 word texts full of acronyms. It's a lot easier to make the bed in the morning if all you have to do is spread the duvet back over the bed.

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

This is very interesting. I - having been raised in more European rather than American culture - for one hate the top sheet, so naturally our airbnb has no top sheet, and I must admit I posted this because a couple of times our guests get confused not having top sheet.

Now I understand.

However, from practicality stand-point, isn't duvet easier to set up and also simpler to laundry, rather than top sheet?

Many in this thread seem to say the opposite, but to me personally duvet is much much easier to set up.  Sure, arguably laundry-wise it might be heavier, but that's still "cleaner" than having a top-sheet and a "used"/"dirty" comforter (assuming in top-sheet setup you don't always laundry the comforter, as some suggested above).

Catriona16
Level 2
Pennsylvania, United States

Well said, thank you!

My husband and I had a similar experience when we were staying at a bnb in B.C.  There was no top sheet but a duvet.  It was early summer, even with the window opened, the duvet was too warm for us.  The next day we politely asked the host for a top sheet. 

Gosh I had no idea this was such a complicated subject. We personally have fitted sheet and top sheet on our bed, with hubby’s side staying tucked in all night and my side loose. Plus duvet/doona in cover on top. Yes you are right saying if it gets hot (just occasionally it does in Tasmania) you can kick off the doona and sleep under the top sheet. So anyway, that’s how I make up the guest’s bed. 
I wish I could get the hang of putting doona covers on the inside out and shake method but I think my arms are too short!