Which Bedding set up works best for you?

G-C-R-M0
Level 7
California, United States

Which Bedding set up works best for you?

Hey fellow hosts,

I wanted to send out a poll here on how hosts usually set up your bedroom beddings.  What I mean by this is the way you put together the bottom sheet, top sheet vs duvet, comforter.

Please respond to the thread using 1 or 2:
1. American/Traditional set up - bottom sheet, top/flat sheet, comforter without duvet

2. European/Millenial set up - bottom sheet, NO top/flat sheet, comforter inside duvet cover

And if you have additional thoughts/comments on why one over the other, that'd be appreciated.

I read somewhere that set up with top sheet is really impractical and is going away, to the point that most sellers now do not even sell top sheet in the set anymore, and you have to purchase it separately.

Duvet covers make sense because you just wrap your comforter and voila! you're done. This is the standard in Europe, and now millenials are adopting it.

Thanks for your time and input!

88 Replies 88
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Does it really matter @G-C-R-M0 ?  just use whatever is prevalent where you live.

In Europe we generally use a duvet in other places such as North America and Australia you use a top sheet system 

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

@Helen3  - It does.. because we are looking for a way to minimize setup time and laundry - and to us that's somehow duvet covers (contrary to what others said), AND to not confuse our guests.

Even in the US nowadays the younger gen is adopting duvet, but I am trying to figure out how to explain how to use this to our guests.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@G-C-R-M0 

I triple sheet my beds .... so, flat sheet, feather blanket, flat sheet. All tucked in together to secure the feather blanket. It is super easy to strip the bed and wash all sheets. I cannot even imagine taking a comforter in and out of a duvet and washing it everyday. That would take me forever.

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

@Emilia42 - Interesting! I find it much easier to get the duvet off and on, vs bending down to get the sheets on and off the bed/mattress.

Do you wash the blanket?

@G-C-R-M0 I do have to bend down to tuck the sheets in under the mattress, yes. But for me that's not difficult at all. I can strip the bed in less than 15 seconds. If I was to use a duvet cover it would take me at least 5 minutes to unbutton it and untie all the corners. Even longer to put it back into place. I use a duvet cover on my personal bed and I hate the time it takes to change it and make sure it is securely tied. (I can't imagine doing that everyday.) It is a goose down comforter so no, it does not get washed all the time. The two sheets protect it and keep it in place. It has never been stained and I have never come into the room to see the blanket bunched up and exposed, so I'm not worried about that. Do you wash the blanket/comforter within your duvet cover between every guest?

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

@Emilia42 - Interesting. I can't do that in 15 secs for sure, but I can do duvets in 30 secs or less. 🙂
The duvet inside does not get washed between every guests because they stay untouched. We wash them maybe monthly or so, depending on how busy or not we are. 

But we do run them through sanitizer/steamer to keep them sanitized and fresh. 

Without duvet, ie. if we use comforter, I know that we will want to wash them everytime because I imagine people put stuff on there and it makes contact with whatever it is.

@G-C-R-M0 Not if you use two flat sheets. One flat sheet underneath the comforter and one flat sheet on top of the comforter. Pull them both off to wash 🙂

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

@Emilia42  - I see that, but then as someone else here mentioned, the point of not having duvet is to reduce laundry, and if you sandwich the comforter, now it's really the same amount of fabric as duvet, that's one.
Secondly it can get bunched up and something or someone could still touch the comforter... unless your technique is not something I know of (and this is very possible cause I'm foreign to this concept).

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Emilia42 
How about using a Duvet cover with buttons or domes?

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

For me personally I would die if I had no other option than a duvet. If it was summer  I would most likely end up taking the duvet out of the cover and using it like a top sheet! So I have a bottom sheet, top sheet, blanket and folded duvet in a cover in the closet with the extra pillows. It is stored in a clear zipper bag with a note to feel free to use it if they’d like. The duvet is frequently left untouched, which I’m happy about as I find washing and replacing the cover to be a giant pain. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

"For me personally I would die if I had no other option than a duvet".

Rather over-dramatic @Annette76 surely :0 there are a huge range of summer duvets you can use. you would certainly struggle visiting many parts of Europe and other parts of the world.

Lol I wish I were being over dramatic as you say. I probably wouldn’t actually die, but may wish for it. Perhaps TMI but as a recent lucky member of the menopause club, middle of the night hot flashes are horrible. I have learned that heavy bedding just makes them more frequent, even my lightweight summer comforter has been sent to live in the closet. So if all I have is a duvet I will most likely not get much sleep. I am fairly well traveled and actually have started to pack a folded flat sheet for just such an occurrence. 
To show how ridiculous I’ve become, I recently sent my husband to his college reunion alone as the only place we could find to book had a queen bed only and the thought of trying to sleep that close to a heat generating body made me panicky. I told him if I went with him, one of us would end up sleeping in the tub! 

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

@Annette76  - This is rather funny... but now I see people actually have real strong opinion about it! 🙂

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

May I ask if you use the information you gather here in an article or blog, @G-C-R-M0 ? 

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

@Lawrene0  - No, at least not at the moment.