Bedding

Ryan27
Level 5
Washington, DC

Bedding

I'd appreciate input on an issue I've had as a host for a year and a half now....yes, a long time to not have resolved this on my own.

After I receive a booking, in the 'house rules' they receive, it says to please not use product, whether it be makeup, makeup remover, or skin products, like Proactiv, that bleach or stain the bedding.  I am having bleaching, staining and oily marks left on all bedding: the sheet sets, blankets, comforters, just everything! It's very time consuming and costly! And regardless of figuring out what is doing the staining, being makeup, oily makeup remover, skin products like Proactiv, etc., the problem continues. If I use white sheets with the thought of being able to bleach them, it doesn't resolve the issue because things still stain.  A darker color becomes 'tie-dye' looking after washing after someone sleeps with skin care product on that bleaches, but that result doesn't show up until after washing! So this is affecting all pieces of the bedding and comforters and blankets aren't cheap and if you have extras to replace the ruined ones, there's no closet space! 

I'd appreciate input on how to keep this to a minimum since what I am doing doesn't seem to be helping. Do you suggest that if I do know which guest causes this, like with sheets, to charge them for the sheet set? Comforters and blankets may not be washed after every guest so I can't prove that it was the last guest.  I fear a bad review by making these requests and then if something is ruined, charging them.

Thanks!

45 Replies 45

Chances are he can’t BLEACH his duvet. You should ask for photos and replace the duvet if it’s still stained. Kind of disrespectful to go to sleep in someone else’s expensive bedding with makeup still on if you ask me.

I certainly feel people should be respectful.  But, you also have to see it from the guests perspective.  Would a hotel ever charge you for sheets if you got makeup on them? No.  Thats because what they/you charge per night, plus cleaning fees, and service fees, should allow for you to replace these things occasionally.  If you stay with all white bedding, including comforters/bedspreads, which is pretty standard in hotels now, you should be able to get almost any stain out.   

I would be outraged if I was you.  But thats me.  I feel like I shouldn't have to worry about that if I don't have to worry about it in a hotel.  and in a hotel you don't have to worry about it.  And with discounts and memberships, you can get a hotel for about the same price as many of the airbnbs.  Although I would do my best not to get make up on anything, that would be the end of me using airbnb if I did, and then got charged $330.  Especially because I know  I can find a white duvet for any bed for under $50. $330 is ridiculous.

Same with us--we inspect all sheets and towel and treat any spots/stains before washing. We prefer the lightweight duvet cover that can come off and be washed after every guest.

I do have a question about mattress covers, blankets, bathroom rugs, throws, and decorative pillow covers--does everyone wash those larger items often or every time? In my own home I throw the blanket in the hot dryer for about ten minutes and use it again without washing. 

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

It's likely an issue with the brand of sheets more than the guests. A few years ago I received an expensive sheet set as a gift and since then it has bleached all over the place! At first I blamed something I was using, but then I realized it was bleaching on my boyfriend's side too, and down by my feet... places where I was certain there were no possible problem products. I looked online and plenty of people mentioned the bleaching in the reviews of the sheets. I switched to a different brand and never had an issue again.

As for my sheets in the Airbnb, I use 100% cotton white sheets. It does make stains more visible but I can always bleach and throw back in the wash. So far there has only been one stain I couldn't remove.

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

I had the same thing happen soon after I started - I wanted brand name bedding so went with Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger sheets (from Marshalls....) and no sooner had I done that I began to run into the bleaching problem on these expensive sheets. All cotton.  What I have done is go with decent quality microfiber sheets I get from Christmas Tree shops (a chain here in the northeast US).  They are patterned so small dings don't show, completely wrinkle-free, and soft to the touch.  No one has complained about the sheets. I have at least 3 sets per bed x 4  beds (I guess at least 12 sets) so that I can do rapid changeovers without having to constantly wash them.  I have a 2-night minimum stay so often have 2-3 changeovers per week in the summer.

I am never, ever going to iron sheets....

I did try the microfiber sheets from Amazon (I believe it was their "basics" line) and they were too thin and not good enough.  BIf you're picky about microfiber you can find good ones.  I think they are resistant to these stain-causing products since I have not seen a problem since switching away from 100% cotton.

I find that microfiber collects a lot of lint and hair. Do you have this issue? 

Hi @Abby32@, no I don't have a problem with lint. I've been very happy with the good microfiber sheets.

I have had guests ask ahead of time if the sheets are 100% cotton. I could only confirm 2 out 3 sets since one had been washed many times and I could no longer read the label. I should have known when the guest asked, that she would be very picky about other things too, from coffee to the decor we have chosen, to suggesting that we supply Q-tips and make up wipes. She also complained about her bed being too firm. 

Hi, I think you must go for dry clean from any good company. As you can see on a Australia's best bedding online company they have care instructions for their bedding!

i was told bwanaz has the best price and quality as well for bedding supplys 

interesting...

tried thier site.  can’t access without registering.  provided requested info and email address.  3 days later still waiting for required confirmation email so I can reply and gain access to shop.  also tried emailing thier customer service.  no reply.

Bwanaz

Emma365
Level 1
Jamul, CA

I like to buy the best possible quality when it's on sale and replace twice yearly. The 'old' ones are usually still in good condion so donate them to charity.

Ten to avoif very dark colors. White is fine though, IMO.

John1462
Level 1
Frederick, MD

My suggestion to localte a good and low cost bedding supplier like Bwanaz , seach the "bwanaz" on google you will find out.  This site sell to memeber only .  Thy have a minimum order requirement about $50, best for airbnb hosts. They don't sell to end users but retailer or airbnb hosts to save cost