Bedding

Adrian98
Level 1
Cork, Ireland

Bedding

Hi - Hope someone can help. We advertise our listing as being able to sleep 4. So a double bed and a fold out couch. Most bookings are for 2 and so they are ok with just a double bed. However, more and more people are looking for extra linen to use the couch as they do not wish to share the bed.

We dont charge for this but there is obviously an extra cost to providing this. How do I charge for the extra linen when they look for it?

thanks

13 Replies 13
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Adrian98

You just need to make it clear in your email exchange before booking that if there are two people and they wish to use the couch then there will be a charge for extra linen and state clearly what that is. Once they agree to the extra charge ask them to book and tell them you will then adjust the price once they have booked. 

Once booked, go to their reservation and click on Change/Cancel - choose Change and you will get a page that show the price break down including a box for the total accommodation cost. Increase the figure in this box to reflect the additional charge and send it to your guests. They will need to accept the new charge before the booking is valid with the new price - so make sure they do, otherwise you will just receive the original amount.

Thanks for that  @Gerry-And-Rashid0- however, I have some that book instantly - do I need to remove this from my options then?

@Adrian98 IB makes it more of a problem as you can't be sure they will read your full description. Keeping IB means you appear higher up in the search results. Put the additional charge for the couch if only two people are using the place very high up in your description so that there is some hope they will see it. 

Jamie69
Level 7
Wheat Ridge, CO

I'm a fairly new host, but I think I would handle it this way:

If this only happens now and again, let it slide. I have a similar issue in that I list the master bedroom with attached bathroom. The bathroom has a stand-up shower in it, and I say in my house rules that guests are welcome to use the main bathroom in the house if they want to use the bathtub in there. If guests use the second bathroom, it's extra cleaning for me... but I don't charge extra for the occasional guest who chooses to do that. It wouldn't be worth the hassle.

If this is a fairly frequent occurance, you could have a charge for the additional guest. That is, set your room rate for one person, with an additonal charge for the second guest. Sometimes that second guest will share the bed, sometimes they'll use your couch. You'll get paid either way, and your guests won't think anything of it.

I feel it's kind of tacky to ask for additional payment for things, but the Airbnb website is set up to charge for additional guests, so I'd use that feature here.

Jamie

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

I would use the resolution center after booking to collect the additional linen fees. That way the Airbnb fee is not calculated for either guest or host on the additional amount. 

Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

This thread is of interest to me because in about two weeks and am closing for renovations for three weeks and when I reopen my configuarion will be one queen bed and one double or queen sofa-bed.

To answer your question, since I like simplicity, I would not charge extra for using the sofa-bed, I would just raise your rate modestly and know that your rate accounts for the occasional use of both the sofa bed and regular bed.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Adrian98

how much more bedding is it really? Because at my place it is just 1 fitted sheet more so I don't charge it extra.

If 2 people sleeps in double bed they get : 2 pillows, 2 duvets in covers and 1 big fitted sheet

If 1 guest sleeps in double bed and 1 sleeps on sofa bed they get: 2 pillows, 2 duvets in covers and 2 big fitted sheets

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Adrian98

Yeah Adrian, we are in exactly situation! I provide a fantastic bed, but also provide a sofa bed, and since the incorporation of the sofa bed last August have had a number of bookings where the booking has been made for two people, but, they required the use of the second bed.

My initial reaction was like yours, in fact I even did a post on it here at the time about how unfair it was that I was having to go to all this extra work without being paid for it!

You can of course state in you listing that use of the extra sleeping facility will involve an addition linen cost of xxx.

But Adrian, there is another side to the coin! You are getting guests you would not otherwise get. You may be having your time devalued slightly but, you are well ahead on income and from my point of view I have come to accept that....in order to make a little you have to give a little, and in the end you will come out ahead. Just provide it as a service, your guests will appreciate it!

Cheers.....Rob 

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

@Adrian98 I would let it go and as someone already pointed out, just raise your prices a bit. I had a two bedroom unit and often the second bedroom would be used, even if a couple booked. What with snoring and other sleep issues, it's to be expected.

There's also the issue of how hard or soft your main bed is. Friends who stayed in my place told me that that was why they used both beds. I find it's a pain when the second bed is used and I wasn't expecting it, but my solution was to buy extra bedding and have a second sheet and duvet ready to go so I wouldn't be extending my cleaning/prep time by too much. 

Lynne2
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Your listing clearly says that there are two sleeping options - the bed and the couch.  I must say that if I booked the "whole house" and then didn't find the couch available for lack of bedding, I might feel cheated.  There are many reasons why people - even a couple - choose not to share a bed.  Being parsimonious about bedding could leave a bad taste...which would be a pity because your reviews look very positive.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lynne2

Just noticed this morning via a couple of threads, you and I are becoming something of an authority on beds and bedding, aren't we....:-) or should that be :-0

Cheers.....Rob

Lynne2
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Really... I'll have to check 😄  😄   But it is what we're selling, isn't it?  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lynne2......absolutely!!

The other thread was Celine.

Cheers....Rob