Beds and bedding

Jane752
Level 2
Wales, GB

Beds and bedding

Hi all

I am quite new to Airbnb.  We have a small one bedroomed inner city flat.  In the bedroom we have a double bed and then in the open plan lounge kitchen we have a very good sofa bed.  Ultimately the falt sleeps four guests.

I have had very good reviews but I have just had a look at my progress status.

For the past month my flat has had 300 views but we have only had nine booking.

I am wondering if it is the sleeping arrangements are not right.

For the sofa bed I provide a double sheet but two single duvet copvers.  So even if guests are not couples they can stretch out under their own private bedding.

For the double bed I always use a double quilt.  This of course is fine for couples but not sure if it really suits say 2 girls or 2 boys who are friends.  Hence i feel maybe the sleeping arrangements are putting people off.

Do you think I should try to get two singles in the one bedroom or just make up the double bed with two single quilts.

We seem to attract maily groups of young people who are visiting Cardiff for concerts and sports events.

Anyone have an opinion that would help me decide.

Thanks Jane 

4 Replies 4
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Jane752 I think that the biggest barrier to booking is likely your photos. Airbnb photos are best in landscape format. I would do some staging and retake them with a better camera. Your main photo is particularly unappealing: it's just dull. Stage the living room nicely, and maybe add a pop of colour of flowers, and use that as your main pic.

I would be surprised if the sleeping arrangements are what's causing the problem, but you probably know your demographic best. How is your pricing compared to your competitors? Are there any other differentiators that could be putting people off? To me, it doesn't look like there is anything seriously amiss with your listing, but it does seem very cheap (it would be, what, 5 to 7 pounds a person for a group of people to stay there?). But you probably know your market best.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jane752 as @Alexandra316 says I wouldn't imagine there is an issue with your sleeping arrangements to be honest, they seem fine!

Your pictures could be better with some staging to create a great feeling when guests land on your listing.

Your reviews are strong! It could the the time of year at play too, with people travelling less, and often making plans for this time of the year quite far in advance.

Also, you have your postcode in your listing name and the number and name of your flat in your listing pictures- I would suggest this could be a security/safety concern as any potential guest knows exactly where your flat is, and has a fair idea of when it is/isn't occupied from your calendar.

@Jane752

I always ask the guests how to arrange their beddings - I have 4 single quilts for summer, 2 single quilts for winter and 2 single dawn duvets, then 2 large 2.30 wide quilts - one for summer and one for winter and 1 dawn duvet for 2 persons. I did not have them at the beginning, but bought them one by one. In that way you would have the right beddings for every season and every kind of guests.

As for Progress - the situation is similar almost everywhere - and by the way - you are quite well with your 9 bookings from 300 views.     

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Jane752, I agree with @Alexandra316 and @Paul1255 that your photos could use an upgrade, in particular your main photo. Also, you should never have your address showing - major security issue! I doubt that the bedding is a problem - just list that the flat has a double bed and a double sofa bed - job done. People can book based on that. As @Lilly28, has suggested, you can always ask your guests what bedding they would prefer.