Before and after pics

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Before and after pics

I'm an enthusiastic interiors buff and renovating my house has been a long-term labour of love and, I realise now, will always be an ongoing project. I'd therefore be really interested to hear from other hosts who have renovated their Airbnb properties and see before and after pics if you have them, or just hosts who have plans and ideas for future projects.

To start it off, here is one of the guest rooms in my house, BEFORE:

4891_101897216882_3248926_n.jpg

and AFTER:

2nd floor.jpg

I still haven't finished tweaking this room yet (the painted wardrobes for example), so there may be updates to come.

Please share your projects and plans!

231 Replies 231
Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Huma0 

before

2020-09-03 Kitchen before.jpg

after

2020-09-03 Kitchen after.jpg

@Ute42  I LOVE that! Very nice. Moody. Cozy. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ute42 

Wow. You have totally transformed that kitchen. I wouldn't have even known it was the same room.

You have reminded me that I really should put up that rack to hang my copper pans from. Another job on the long to do list...

@Ute42  I love this!  You turned a bland contemporary-ish kitchen into one that has a classic German gemütlich feeling.  (Maybe that's the wrong word but I only know two words in German.  The other is schadenfreude 🤣)  Those plaid cabinet curtains make the perfect counterpoint in the room.  I also can't get over the lighting in the ancient-looking wooden ceiling.  It's really perfect.  No wonder you have to beat your guests off with a stick.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

BeforeBeforeAfterAfter

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

Cute room! Very cosy and inviting. I like how you have mixed the colours, patterns and textures, which most people are not brave enough to do.

So many talented hosts on this forum!

@Laura2592  

That looks great. Cathrin Powell would love this, it looks like snowithes bedroom.

Are these tiles on the ceiling? I've never seen a ceiling coverd with tiles.

@Ute42 yes they are tin ceiling tiles. Common in houses around this age.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Huma0 and @Sandra126  - your two listings have long been among my favorites and saved to my wish lists.  I'm so wowed by what you've both done I hesitate to post any pics 🙂

I bought the cabin next to my house a few years ago and decided it would be too expensive to winterize it or close it in, so I did a reno on as strict a budget as possible.  One thing I hated was the bathroom with its hideous oak vanity and plastic molded bath/shower.

6952DF5D-CD1A-4CF5-B2F4-E366C4F6FAC5_1_201_a.jpeg

It would have been ridiculously expensive to rip out the shower, so I had a floor-to-ceiling curtain made.  I replaced the vanity with a tambour-front dresser I found for probably $45 at a local junk barn and fitted with a vessel sink; found a $10 frame at a thrift shop and had the local glass shop mirror it; and the thing hanging on the wall is the front of an old safe.

DIAGONAIR-CABIN-BATHROOM-1.jpg

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

Amazing what you can do on a super tight budget with some creativity and imagination. That's such a big improvement.

I like your idea of the safe door used as art. I have an old safe that I need to get rid of (had to go to make room for the new cloakroom) that has a beautiful door. Unfortunately, the door alone weighs about 100kg, so would probably bring the wall down with it!

Using vintage dressers as vanities is also a great idea (I was sold on that idea for my new shower room but unfortunately space was too tight). It would be hard to find anything new that's so nice without spending a fortune.

Thanks @Huma0.  Hanging that piece of metal on the wall definitely required sinking molly bolts into the wall first.  You could also turn the front into a table top, though.  It would make such a cute end or garden table.

Getting a dresser with tambour doors made a big difference for the vanity - there were no drawers that had to be cut for the pipes.  Just a hole on the top and a hole on the back wall and it was ready to be fitted.  I also sealed the top to protect it from water.

@Ann72 

Beautiful, I love it! 🙂

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Ann72 that worked out well. The hunt can be the most fun part, when everything is still possible.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ann72  Love it. I think sometimes the things you have to do creatively on the cheap turn out better than what gets built from scratch on a bigger budget.