Before and after pics

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Before and after pics

I'm an enthusiastic interiors buff and renovating my house has been a long-term labour of love and, I realise now, will always be an ongoing project. I'd therefore be really interested to hear from other hosts who have renovated their Airbnb properties and see before and after pics if you have them, or just hosts who have plans and ideas for future projects.

To start it off, here is one of the guest rooms in my house, BEFORE:

4891_101897216882_3248926_n.jpg

and AFTER:

2nd floor.jpg

I still haven't finished tweaking this room yet (the painted wardrobes for example), so there may be updates to come.

Please share your projects and plans!

231 Replies 231
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Wow, @Ute42 that kitchen could almost inspire me to enjoy cooking .-) Was that old embossed rolled lino on the floor in the "before"  photo? What did you do to the floor for the reno, if anything?

@Sandra126 Some friends did something at their place that would be right up your alley. They had a old, filthy upholstered loveseat to get rid of, but they put it out in the garden, covered it with grass sod, and it's now called the "lawn chair".

Neil408
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Oh wow, how beautiful! 😁 I adore your house. I have done my own renovations in an old Mews house up north. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Sarah977   

When I bought the house the groundfloor had 3 rooms. We tore down all the walls so now the ground floor is one 750 square feet room only. There was an old worn out wooden floor and ants were living underneeth it. We removed the entire wood floor and put tiles into the entire room. That's very handy if You have guests with dogs.

before

wooden floor already removedwooden floor already removed

after

floor with tilesfloor with tiles

@Ute42  Looks so good. My whole house is tiled, except for my bedroom, which has a smooth concrete floor. Easy clean, for sure. But you should see my dog go skidding across the floor when I've freshly waxed the tile 🙂  Not that funny, really, as she's an older dog and could hurt herself.

Since I know you like to improve your English- "We tore down the walls", not "teared".  

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Ute42,

I can't wait to see it in person.  My friends have already agreed that it would be a great holiday place for all of us.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

During December '19 and January '20, we converted our master bedroom into an apartment, and started renting in February '20.  During a hosting hiatus in June and July '20, we made some updates to the space.

We converted the large walk-in closet/home office into a bedroom with a full/double size bed. We installed a window, a ceiling fan with light (not pictured), and repainted the room.

Walk-in ClosetWalk-in ClosetJunior BedroomJunior Bedroom

I thought the paint color of the main space was too dark.  We repainted to a lighter color, changed the headboard, hung up more wall art, and changed the hallway into the home office into the hallway (installed a ceiling light).

Before HallwayBefore HallwayAfter Home Office and ClosetAfter Home Office and Closet

Before paint color.Before paint color.After paint color.After paint color.Before Dining AreaBefore Dining AreaAfter Dining AreaAfter Dining Area

In our house we gutted our bathroom.  The ugly brown is a result of me letting my husband choose a color.  We expanded the bathroom by taking up space from the closet on the wall behind the door, reconfigured the fixtures, and added another sink.

Old BathroomOld BathroomNew Bathroom1New Bathroom1New Bathroom2New Bathroom2

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Debra300  Nice renos. While I'm not a huge fan of white, it definitely has its place- making smaller rooms feel bigger and as a backdrop for colorful art, so it really works in your place. Much better than the prior wall color.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sarah977,

I am not a great photographer.  The color isn't white.  It's a very light green, called something pear.  I can't remember right now.  Again, the prior paint color was my husband's selection.  I should know better by now, but I want to let him contribute more than just the labor.

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Huma0 where did you get the bed? LOVE it!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Farah1 thank you! I've seen this bed at a number of interiors stores, but it's very expensive. I bought it less than a third of the price from a seller on Ebay. It was new and I couldn't find any fault with it, so not sure why it was cheaper...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Here you go @Farah1. Same bed for £2,700 full price, and a few hundred pounds less on sale: https://www.woodpeckerinteriors.co.uk/versailles-gold-leaf-shabby-chic-gilt-6ft-bed-silk-buttoned/13...

However, I paid around £500 for mine. Sorry to gloat, but I do love a bargain. It's still expensive though, so I know not within everyone's budget. I don't normally spend that much on one piece of furniture, but I REALLY wanted this bed.

Haha @Huma0 $500 can be reasonable since a headboard alone can easily cost $100-$200. I love discounts too... off topic story about a discount. I went to a store called Hobby Lobby yesterday. Most of the things in there were 50% off! I bought some small blackboards to start putting a "welcome (guest name)" in my listings and some other stuff that can make the listings feel/look better. Today is going to be the first day I am doing the welcome blackboard, let's see how it goes!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Farah1 the welcome chalk boards are a huge hit with my guests, so certainly worth a few dollars. To be honest, I think they have at least as much impact as the fancy bed!

20170619_193341.jpg

The blackboard is a great idea! Wouldn't it be awesome to have a 'guestbook' wall where guests sign they're names? Chalk and blackboard. Or sharpies on painted wall?

But alas, as much as I adore this, I have commitment issues when it comes to changes. Hence, everything in my house is hung with removable Command Strips.