Before and after pics

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Before and after pics

I'm an enthusiastic interiors buff and renovating my house has been a long-term labour of love and, I realise now, will always be an ongoing project. I'd therefore be really interested to hear from other hosts who have renovated their Airbnb properties and see before and after pics if you have them, or just hosts who have plans and ideas for future projects.

To start it off, here is one of the guest rooms in my house, BEFORE:

4891_101897216882_3248926_n.jpg

and AFTER:

2nd floor.jpg

I still haven't finished tweaking this room yet (the painted wardrobes for example), so there may be updates to come.

Please share your projects and plans!

231 Replies 231
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ken28 Yes it would be great and I know other hosts have done it. I am a bit reluctant to spare a whole wall for this though as I do prefer my designer wallpaper! However, a small blackboard (hang it with Command strips if you like!) makes such an impact. 

I have one in each guest room and would estimate that 98% of guests comment on it and are delighted to see I've taken the time to write their names, even though it only takes me a second and costs practically nothing.

@Huma0 I hope you are doing well! I want to give an update about the welcome blackboard. I received positive feedback from my guests! It is one of those little things that matter 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Farah1 glad to hear the guests like it. Yes, it's such a small thing but my guests seem to absolutely love it. I guess it makes them feel like you don't just see them as another, name-less guest.

info? $500 is not the same as 500 pounds.  The blackboard idea is great!

Antonia113
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Our breakfast kitchen table used to have a chalkboard top and I’d welcome guests on it... was a massive hit!  I’d then leave chalk out so they could play tic-tac-tie or hangman or use it as a message board. Gutted it didn’t fit into our new kitchen. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Antonia113

That's a great idea! I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to paint a wooden table top with chalkboard paint. Is that what you did or did the table already have the chalkboard top when you bought it?

Antonia113
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

@Huma0It was super easy.  Chalkboard paint only comes in a small choice of colours so all I did was send down the table top, then choose a coordinating paint colour that went well with the room and mixed about 1 litre of the paint with a couple of tablespoon of fine sand and grout and then painted the tabletop.  Once it was dry, I sanded it down with very fine sand paper.  Viola!  I'll attach an image.Chalkboard Table

@Antonia113 - absolutely Loooove this idea - am Googling table top chalk boards right now! Thanks for the idea 😊

Farah, do you have pics of the guest board you made?

How did the welcome chalkboard go? We aren't hosts yet but hope to buy a property with a house to use as a for short-term rental soon. I went to Hobby Lobby about a week ago and thought the chalkboard would be perfect for that.

Ashina0
Level 2
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

All i can say that the room is a WOW  factor, tastefully decorated. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ashina0

Thanks so much!

Kati18
Level 7
Vancouver, Canada

Holy moly...I may just fly you out to my place so you can work your magic.  What an amazing transformation!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thank you @Kati18. I did most of the renovation of this room straight off, but have since tweaked it and continue changing it, so it was never an overnight thing. Just last week, I moved the trunk in the corner to another spot in the house to accommodate a lovely dressing table set I just bought. I'm afraid I'm a bit addicted to changing my place around.

this would make a great video series

I would watch it on youtube.