Before and after pics

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Before and after pics

I'm an enthusiastic interiors buff and renovating my house has been a long-term labour of love and, I realise now, will always be an ongoing project. I'd therefore be really interested to hear from other hosts who have renovated their Airbnb properties and see before and after pics if you have them, or just hosts who have plans and ideas for future projects.

To start it off, here is one of the guest rooms in my house, BEFORE:

4891_101897216882_3248926_n.jpg

and AFTER:

2nd floor.jpg

I still haven't finished tweaking this room yet (the painted wardrobes for example), so there may be updates to come.

Please share your projects and plans!

231 Replies 231
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

And yes, @Andrea9, the hallway isn't so bad, considering this is what I started with!

10398995_116137491882_6420557_n.jpg

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

OMG @Huma0 - that was daunting!!

I suppose you know there are sanding tools with dust suction to at least prevent the worst messes, but still it's never completely without a certain amount of fine dust :[

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrea9 yes I heard about those. My brother recently had his floors redone and I was surprised to hear they were painting the walls first, but he said they were using the dustless suction sanders. However, my current builder said it does still create quite a lot of dust. I am sick of waiting though (current builder not interested in tackling the stairs - seems no one affordable is!) so I should just get on with the rest and deal with the dust when I have to.

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Huma0 I really like that antique style you have given to that bedroom and i will sure you will get plenty of happy guests booking your place in no time.Have a nice Sunday and happy hosting!!!

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

incredible !!

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Wow @Huma0!! 😮😮

And everyone else! What amazing pictures! Truely inspiring!

I have about zero interest in interiour, colors, style etc. I am happy everytime any of my projects turn into something decent in the end... That my idea actually works. My joy in the process is the doing, and the learning by doing. But then my ideas come from seeing pictures like yours. I just don't search for them since I have no clue about what to search for.

So thank you for sharing! You are so talented 🙂

Mariann 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Mariann4 thanks for your nice comments. If you're looking for inspiration, there's so much stuff on Pinterest. Do you use it? It can get a bit addictive though!

Naaah @Huma0...

That's my point. It doesn't interest me to the extent that I go looking for it. It's my feminine black spot. Give me the hammer instead! But when I see posts from people I like, or know that usually have good posts, I take a glance and see the impressive work they have done. And it makes me happy for them to see what they have achieved. And I try to remember it if I liked something. Or if I see something that would not suit my way of living.

I consider myself somewhat handicaped in the color/style/fabric/glow/etc.-department. But I get the thumbs up whenever I take the chance and try. Luckily! 

So I'm happy with the inspiration that is floating in my direction by accident 🙂 Yours this time was very good since it is close to what I can imagine can be suitable for my parent's house from 1912 as they have to remove an oil-oven as heating sometime in the years to come. It will mean a massive reconstruction of their home as my father is considering heated water either in the floors or by radiators. Or both. You did lovely with the radiators!

Mariann 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mariann4 I hear you! Each to their own and sounds like you are getting it right anway. I wish I was better at doing more of the practical stuff myself. I'm a pretty dab hand with a paintbrush (even if I do say so myself) but anything more complicated than putting up shelves is a bit beyond me!

Hahaha!

I'm lousy at the practical stuff as well, @Huma0. But at least that interests me more and I give it a try 🙂 So yes! Each to their own 🙂

Mariann 🙂

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

@Huma0

I keep forgetting to mention - one of my hands down favorite things you've done in your spaces is to put in old fashioned radiators.  The modern ones lack style and would completely ruin your vibe... LOVE the old ones in there.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Willow3. No, I'm not a huge fan of the modern, flat panel radiators. As well as being ugly. they're not actually as efficient as the old school style or cast iron ones that pump out much more heat and stay warm for ages after the heating is off. I really had to shop around though to get a good price for those as they can be soooo expensive. Ebay to the rescue again!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

One of the unfinished, but hopefully soon to be finished, areas of my home is the downstairs cloakroom (that's powder room to US contributors, rather than a place to store coats!). It used to be the boiler room, but since I got a new boiler, it's become a dump for all my DIY materials.

I had already bought these patterened blue and white tiles for the floor of a shower room, but am going to go for a different look in there now, and use these in the cloakroom instead. I'm really not sure what to do with the walls though. It's hard to match white tiles to these as they have off-white rather than bright white in them. Of course, the walls don't need to be tiled. They could be painted or wallpapered, with maybe just a tile splash back behind the basin. Any ideas?

e1445407cede0ebd617fd51c777b269a.jpg

lovely tiles @Huma0!  

My quick reaction for the cloakroom walls would be to take a piece of tile to the paint shop and have them match the off-white for the main color of the walls.  Have the paint shop match the blue of the tile -- or, one of the shades of blue 🙂 -- for the trim color.  And you could even have the paint shop match the terra-cotta colored grout for the accent paint (by accent I mean a second trim color).  Some color-matching systems take a couple tries for a really good match, so some patience may be called for...

But you have excellent taste, so two votes for whichever way you were leaning!

Thanks @Harriet-and-Stu0 I hadn't thought about the colour-matching, but it's a good idea, especially as then I can get the right colour in a bathroom specific paint, which tend to have very limited colour choices.  i had already traipsed the tile around tile shops trying to find something to go with it, with no luck. The coordinating off-white tiles from the range are too 'distressed' even for my tastes. I was worried they would just look grubby.

IMG_8237.JPG