Being at the bottom of the list

Susan21
Level 5
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile

Being at the bottom of the list

I have been an airbnb hostess since 2011. One would think that due to my reviews I would be at the top of the list. Not so. Only newcomers are on the top.

At first I used Airbnb income to pay upkeep. Now it barely pays enough to wash the sheets.

I think that totally unfair. I think Airbnb should promote its long time hosts and hostess with records like mine before all other potential hosts.

119 Replies 119

Thanks @Rachael26, best wishes to you as well.

@Jennifer178

Since we think alike (well I think so anyway 😉

I would be interested in your take on the following post which has been going on for a few weeks now and has had over 1000 views - take a look from the beginning original post and all replies to current one (@Wendy was really super with her responses and help). 

Re: All my guests love my house, and me....but hate my neighborhood. in New Hosts

Best Wishes.
Karen313
Level 10
San Clemente, CA

@Susan21 Agreed. I have been wrestling with that after almost 2&1/2 yrs of holding 'superhost.'

I believe, in part, because I will not do instant book (for several reasons) that is a way of penalizing hosts. Which is a bummer to say the least.

I just read a very interesting article from a host detailing what he does to get good reviews. I don't think Airbnb lists new hosts first based on what I see and how our listings come up, but I do think that if you accept guests regularly and get good reviews, that helps your sorting statistics. You may want to look into how those things are calculated, but overall I think getting great reviews is the best way. Put yourself in the guest's position and don't hesitate to ask them for feedback. The new rating system will do some of that, but it's even better to check with them while they are staying with you, so you can make their stay even better while you have the chance. Also make sure you have the best listing you can have, including photos and descriptions. You may want to ask a superhost for help. Good luck!

@June-and-Rich0

Well put - and thanks for your useful comments - always nice to read some positive suggestions.

Best Wishes.

Emma94
Level 10
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I think it's about the algorithm ABB uses to make sure everyone is on an equal playing field. Personally, I use instant booking to make sure that my listings always show up on the first few pages of the search. To avoid any confusion, I write in all caps where the description of the space warning everyone to not instant book until they have read and agreed to my conditions which stated below that message. This will capture the attention of most of the guests. Then when they inquire or instant book, I send another message asking them to carefully review the House rules and description of the home. Ever since I have adopted that approach I haven't had an incident where I have to 'explain' to my guest when they arrive at my home. So take your time and list everything you want them not to do at the beginning of the description of your space. Don't wait until the end because people's attention span usually doesn't last that long. This is a long game and we must find a way to defeat ABB and use it to our advantage. I don't ever think ABB is on the host's side at all. 

Jono0
Level 2
Kanchanaburi, Thailand

Have you switched on Instant Booking?

Jono0
Level 2
Kanchanaburi, Thailand

You are lucky. We are the only listed venue in a radius of 100 k's. Sometimes we appear, sometimes not. When we do show up we are pushed down the page by service providers who are located over an hour away. To top this when I am able to make contact with AirBnB I get told that this is good for both ourselves and the visitors who can't find us.    

Eike-Alexander0
Level 1
Hamburg, Germany

Hi all at the community... I have a villa to rent on Samui and because it is our privat home with all our private things I do not agree to customers for 3-5 days. So The last booking was around 40 days....What I like to know because i do not find my advertisment on a good position can anybody tell me if I would accept 10 x 4 days my chart position would be better as with one time longterm 40 days????...and very good review..That would be interesting to find out...cheers Eike Samui /hamburg

I have just had a very interesting discussion with someone who raised a couple of very valid points. I would suspect most of us are listed with at the very least one other booking service and that 90% more or less of our business is generated from these listings.

In other words we are virtually dependant on AirBnB and the other services, for the income we receive. It shouldn't be this way. We should be in control and using the booking services to add value to what we do.

The question is whether we can and how we change that status quo. AirBnB started out as a community which it has outgrown and I am not knocking them. We are the ones to blame. 

Periena0
Level 2
Dunedin, New Zealand

Hi, I don't know where to find my Level?? to know exactly what Susan was saying, but I don't agree with Airbnb asking us to put our prices down, 'cause as Susan says it doesn't pay and therefore you cannot make any money, which is why we are all here! What do you mean top of the List? 

My feelings on this new update of reviews is that, even when I go to stay in an Airbnb I am going into someone's home. That's just it, it is someone's home and they have allowed me to come stay with them, therefore I am not going to complain about the different coloured sheets or if my hosts give me soap or not, as I usually travel with my own toiletries.  I feel it is very generous of the Hosts to supply toiletries & breakfast, (they donot have to do this)  not everyone does that and I don't feel that we should criticize the Host for that. Their home might be older but much loved & usually always clean. (it is your choice & yours alone if you decide to book a room and it is terrible, noone else is to blame but yourself).  You are not going to a hotel & therefore you shouldn't expect to have a Hotel style room etc. Being with the family if usually sufficient  as they give their  hospitality & knowledge of their area & a bed. So I feel being super critical is not the good way to go, (just be fair in your comments of your stay) you can still be a superhost by doing the best you can, answering their emails within 24hrs or less, being helpful, courteous, giving them breakfast (if that is what you do), good conversation, information, maybe advise & being available for them.  Most people are just glad to be with locals in their homes, pets & family, as they are made to feel as one of them, which I feel is wonderful.

It would be so lovely if all guests had this attitude! I too do not like when the nightly price goes to low and makes it not worth the effort. 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

To be at the top list you must update your listing everyday by simply changing some settings and then set them back to whatever your original settings are. Also upload new photos of your listings and regularly update the description details. Trust me if you update your listing everyday you will be on the first listing page in your area this i did and it works for real I guarantee you. Good luck!!!

Not necessary. Perhaps if you live in an area with only a few listings. Try a city with hundreds of listings. What you're doing is what you think will happen but not always true. Believe me, we tried and check our listing after adding photos, turning on IB, etc..nothing happened. The listings reappear later in the day and the next day but not always on front page. This is even when we have bookings every month. Their algorithm is unknown and good luck figuring it out.

Asheville, NC is now flooded with Airbnb rentals.  At last check, there are over 700.  I do believe if you update your description and calendar every single day, it will make a differenace.  I am sure having a superhost status also helps.  I can go 2 days without updating my description, and we have fallen a whole page.  Once I go back to doing it EVERY SINGLE DAY without fail, we stay as the first or second listing.  It takes time, a lot of it.  But it will be worth it.  We ae starting our 3rd year this year.  We stay booked. We do not lower our prices unless its during the week and the open dates are very close.  We are already booked pretty much the entire months of March, April, May and June.  I know how frustrating this is.  I fought frompage 12 to page 1.  Dont give up, change something every single day.  I have not changed my pictures at all.  We used Airbnb to come out and take picutes in the beginning, those are the ones still on there.