Being at the bottom of the list

Susan21
Level 5
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile

Being at the bottom of the list

I have been an airbnb hostess since 2011. One would think that due to my reviews I would be at the top of the list. Not so. Only newcomers are on the top.

At first I used Airbnb income to pay upkeep. Now it barely pays enough to wash the sheets.

I think that totally unfair. I think Airbnb should promote its long time hosts and hostess with records like mine before all other potential hosts.

119 Replies 119

"superhost...all you need is one guest to act like they are staying in the Ritz Carlton and you will not achieve this."

haha, I agree. I have been hosting way before airbnb offers a superhost feature which means I have had many reviews and different guests already... it is very challenging to keep everyone happy. Just like what you said, there are people who treat/hope/expect that they are staying at the Ritz Carlton while this is a house that is being shared with the homeowners. I have had guests who complained about a package that Amazon just delivered and was not "put away" to the storage room yet... there are humans living in the house, it won't be empty like a hotel.

Anyway, that makes me notice that it is "easier" for newer hosts to get a superhost status because let's say they achieve the # of reservation and 80% of them 5 stars and they also meet the other requirements then boom! you got it.

Also, I notice that it is also 'easier' to be a superhost when you rent out an entire unit instead of a private room/shared space.

@Farah1 , I tend to agree that it is easier for hosts renting out a separate unit to get superhost than for hosts with private room/shared facilities.

However, I don't think newer hosts are at an advantage vs. more seasoned hosts to get superhost: the measurements are taken for exactly one year, then the previous stuff just drops off, so the playing field is even. In fact, I think to be a bit more experienced is what helps us avoid the mistakes we did at the beginning of hosting.

@Annette33 that is a really good point that I forgot about (the assessment) that has a timeframe... though still once you host more people (different people has different expectations/styles) then it is more challenging to keep everyone happy (sometimes there are complicated guests) and not necessarily we are doing a bad job.

So yes, sometimes it is not necessarily a mistake (instead, like what you said, I always try to improve everything every time I can), but sometimes there is a hit&miss when you approve people who actually don't understand how the airbnb community runs/being complicated/try to take advantage of you.

Of course throughout the years, my good experience is way more and the # can't be compared to the bad ones, but the bad ones is the one that hurt your ratings.

@Farah1 , o yes, lately I am getting a feel for the hit and miss.....people wanting to book my place who are trying to get around my house rules, like we are very clear about hosting a max of 2 people, yet I am getting inquries and bookings requests for 3 people, 3 times in a row now ! makes me actually wonder when this will be negatively used against me by Airbnb, like "too many declines" or so....

@Annette33 the strategy that I use regarding the house rules is this >> I always send house rules on the message before I approve any request and there is a "code" on the house rules that I sent. Basically just a word that they need to send it back and also to state that they have read, understand, agree, and will follow the house rules code beach (for example). That way, I can really know who actually read the house rules/message and who don't. Many of them get back to me saying "I will follow all rules" which means they did not read the message that I sent to them thoroughly. Then I will tell them that there is an embedded code that they need to send to make sure they read it. With this, I think I can feel a bit improvement in house rules compliance and it is also easier for me to claim to airbnb if by any chance my guests break the house rules. The crazy thing is... one of my recent guests who finally get back with the code asked "what time is the earliest for check-in" haha.... when it is stated on the listing and also the house rules.

Also, if prospective guests feel that this is a deal breaker (reading house rules and send back code) that take you less than 5mins to read, maybe we are not a good fit then 🙂 I want to make sure that I feel safe and comfortable in my house.

Yes, sometimes I wonder too about the impact of declining, but there are just those requests that I cannot accommodate/clearly not a good fit because they want something that I don't offer.

I agree with Annette, you do the best you can and build up from there. I wouldn't necessarily worry about super host status in the beginning, just get good reviews. In my experience, people read them all anyway, and if you have more good ones than bad, and you are professional in your responses to the bad ones, people will understand. Reasonable people have all dealt with the unreasonable ones before, so they will get it.

Expectations is a big thing. Don't over-promise, and when they get there, have a few little extra touches to surprise them, like flowers, treats, so they are pleasantly surprised. Also, check with them to make sure they understand the house rules and how things work. If they are new to Airbnb, and ask questions that indicate that, I go through the process with them, even via email, to make sure they understand so they don't blame me when unexpected things happen. It never hurts to educate people in advance, to make things go smoother. Explain in detail if you need to. Tell them where to find the FAQ's, and as a few questions to find out if they have read your listing and understand it and your house rules. If there's anything tricky about your listing, make sure to discuss it in advance. Don't give up, the positives outweigh the negatives, but like all beginnings, there are a few rough spots.

@Farah1 : I know this is an old-ish post but I am - as I said - reading anything I can get my hands on to get a feel for hosting.

I have a host friend that sends a picture of the unit as a dropbox image link and asks the person to look at it and tell her what time is on the clock on the wall OR the clock on the nightstand (she switches it up). Then she approves. Kinda like your method of "code word" but makes sure the potential guest SEE - really SEE - the room available so no complaints about "it wasn't what I expected" happens. 

A secret ... she reuses one of 4 photos...all taken at different times. So, really no extra work for her.

I agree with all you say, and I am already a superhost, with the badge showing on my property.  Not sure what else to do.  We haven't ever had a bad review thank goodness, but I still try not to be complacent, but to give our guests what they expect from a stay with us.  As a result quite a number come back which is lovely.  Tricia

Pia8
Level 4
Auckland, New Zealand

I'm a superhost and have 22 five star reviews, but I'm having the same issue with my listing not coming up when people search from a mobile device.

Hi Jana and Stephen,  I do have the Superhost badge, and am really careful to have great photos, clean rooms and bathrooms, new linen and towels etc. etc., and we always go the extra mile for our guests.   All this is reflected in our reviews, but nothing works - after a time, we seem to sail to oblivion at the bottom of the list.

I repeat my call to Airbnb to look after us better.   Tricia

Jeanine3
Level 1
Miami, FL

I am not sure what to say as I am not anywhere. But if what you say is true, I agree with you. 

Judalon0
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I have Super Host status. I am not tech savvy so don't know how or why we show up in the searches, but it is my understanding that "Super Host" badge holders do get pushed up in the searches, also if you agree to and meet requirements for "business travelers". I also agree that when I started with Airbnb there was less competition so I was constantly booked, and now I have more vacancies than I should have to meet my financial needs. I believe this issue is too many hosts, hosts with lower prices and guests that do not weigh value of like offerings. I have a free-standing-private guest house and get people asking me to come down to match another space they are looking at that is a room in a house with a shared bathroom, no kitchen use, or worse a couch in a living room with all the bedrooms rented via Airbnb and a shared bathroom!! It's frustrating, but you just have to do your best to make you place as nice as possible and be a good host because reviews do matter, quality matters and attitude makes a huge difference. I am always just so grateful and appreciative that I have this asset and that Airbnb is here to help me generate a much need source of income. Think positve, and refresh your listing often.

You are right, there is now a lot of competion as more and more people take advantage of sites such as Airbnb, Spareroom.com, and others, and guests seem to think that they can demand huge discounts.   It is happening all the time, and not only for long stays, but for 1 or 2 nights.   I have pegged our price at what I think is a fair price locally for a really well furnished room with an ensuite bathroom, off road secure parking, plus use of the house and garden, and I don't feel that I should be pushed down by guests who want what I am offering but have looked at other far cheaper properties and hope to stay here for 'their' price.  That is really unfair, but what to do?   Airbnb frequently try to encourage me to lower my price or go onto flexible pricing, but I have worked out what I need to earn from my room in order to cover cleaning, laundry and breakfast, plus extras such as a welcome cuppa or glass of wine with cake, and a small profit, and I don't wish to rent out a room for no return at all.   We all need to be fair both to our guests and to ourselves, but many of us are doing this not only to meet new people and to make friends, but also to bring in a little income.  It's a tough world out there, and was certainly easier when I first joined Airbnb in 2012.  

You bring up an interesting point: that with all that you offer your guests, you can't afford to lower the price. If I can't get "full" price, I offer less. For example, instead of stocking the fridge with OJ, and organic fruit, eggs and bread, along with offering coffee and teas, I offer coffee and a variety of teas, and several pieces of organic fruit. Instead of spending $20 - 25 for each guest's stay, it's more like $6 - 8.  

Like others commenting, it's definitely a more competitive market out there these days but I still make more revenue doing short term vacation rentals than I would with a long-term renter. Good luck!

Jono0
Level 2
Kanchanaburi, Thailand

The market is unfortunately skewed. The industry is dominated by the reservation and booking sites. And we end up with a tail wagging the dog dilemma. What we need is a community build that adds value. If I am not mistaken it is how AirBnB started. What is needed now, is something more. Something that is driven by owners. Maybe a site where guest get rated and offered added value when booking.

It doesn't need to get complicated. We could start with a simple idea. If it catches on, there would solution providers lining up to complicate it. The choice is ours. We either accept the way things are or we improvise.