Being at the bottom of the list

Susan21
Level 5
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile

Being at the bottom of the list

I have been an airbnb hostess since 2011. One would think that due to my reviews I would be at the top of the list. Not so. Only newcomers are on the top.

At first I used Airbnb income to pay upkeep. Now it barely pays enough to wash the sheets.

I think that totally unfair. I think Airbnb should promote its long time hosts and hostess with records like mine before all other potential hosts.

119 Replies 119
Dianne6
Level 3
Omokoroa, New Zealand

I agree with Susan [quote below]

I too have all great reviews and 5 star statis, a Super Host, but I find my listing religated to the bottom of the list - pages and pages from the front of the list. 

New recruites, ( are very many these days, on a daily basis - too many now in our seaside village to make it worth anyones while,) are promoted first...

AND I NOTE,  now also promoted with emails sent out to the public by Air B&B that the new recruit will give discounts, (no reply emails,) to promote the new rookie further.

ALSO, I have recently had one guest that returns regularly contact me to inform me her bookings were being refused and she could not book on our site.

What's the story Airb&b... where is your loyalty and service to those of us who strive daily to assist your business and ourselves with top rate service constantly.

Bewildered Host

DianneDianne is the host.Dianne is a superhost.

I wish I had answers, and can only think it is a problem of too many hosts and not enough guests made worse by Airbnb possibly giving advantage to new hosts so they don't get discouraged. The problem with that is for those of us who have been onboard from the early days, jumped through hoops to get that Super Host status and now to be struggling for bookings, having to lower our prices to compete with the flood of newbies who are not as invested as we. All we can do is keep voicing this to Airbnb. SOme hosts are also using other services, but then one really needs to watch calendars and bookings so you do not double book. 

Dianne6
Level 3
Omokoroa, New Zealand

How can we sort this ???

@Dianne6 , what do you want to sort? not sure I understand your question. This is basically the host forum, no direct connection to Airbnb management or support.

Yes, it must be frustrating to find one's listing at the very end of all listings. Perhaps pursue some of the tips other hosts have left here, like often updating, etc. But all places need to be listed- there will always be someone unhappy.....In your case, it doesn't look like the later listing has hurt you, I see 6 reviews for March, so you're busy, congrats! All in all I believe that most guests carefully  look through a lot of listings before deciding, so having a great cover picture and a great description is  more important than exactly at what page one's listing shows up.

did you get  any clarification  from that potential guest why she couldn't book your place? Perhaps it had something to do with the length of stay? too bad she apparently didn't send you a clear message with the dates she wanted, perhaps, it all would have worked out with better communication. All I can see from your page is that the calendar isn't easily available to look at, it says  something like variable requirements and asks me to put in dates.

Thanks for that information. I am also experiencing bottom of the list issues. I have just today updated photos, description, and settings and plan to do it each morning. I have a 30 day guest now so I have not had any views. Many of my guests are business travellers and don't really start looking until they get an assignment so I am hopeful with updating each day I wsill again be up on the top of the list. All tips will be helpful.

Karen389
Level 2
Franklin, NC

anyone want to outline the pros and cons of 'instant book' for a new host?

Pro would be top placement; con would be a one-time user could instant book (may ave minded their manners the first time)  

use instant book without reading any description, house rules, etc. I had one like that and we had issues. They set my thermostat to 70 degress in the middle of the night; arrived 5 hours after their ETA without even so much as a call. I calmly discussed the next morning the thermostate issues in the moring and offered to cancel their reservation and give them and refund them for unsued time. They said they understood and went out to return at 3:30 and demanded their money back. I declined. They filed a complaint with Airbnb that I had no air conditioning. I won. Their nasty comments about me were deleted by Airbnb. I check periodically but they have not rebooked again with Airbnb.

@Karen389  I activate the instant booking feature for the entire unit that I host. So far only 2 people book using instant booking (1 is a really nice guy with a bunch of positive reviews, and 1 more is a returning guest who has stayed here before). I do not activate the feature for the private rooms in my house because I'm very selective to decide which reservation I want to approve of sharing my house with. I learned from experience that people tend to not read and even if they read, some of them decide to break the rules anyway... there was this family booking (through instant booking) a shared space in my apartment when I clearly listed that the place is not suitable for family/kids. So, it ended up being a pain to contact airbnb to cancel the reservation and sort things out. So, I feel that it is not worth it to activate instant booking for the space that I share.

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

@Karen389

Hello Neighbor and welcome! I looked at  your listing before answering because instant book is certainly better for an entire space as opposed to a private room.... and your Hemp House looks amazing! I have saved it to my wish list as this will help promote your listing higher up in the ranks for searches. As does signing in and changing a few things on your listing every so often, checking the calendar, adding some photos etc..

As a fellow Western North Carolinian (my cabin is in Murphy) I think you have pitched your listing perfectly and instant book is defintely the way to go. Use the recommended extra checks for positive reviews and/or gov ID.... I think that approx half of users on Airbnb today are first timers - and the instant book does help you out as it 'guarantees' that the guest read your house rules and agrees to them - therefore giving you some back up if you have any problems later.

A couple of points on your listing which I feel may help in the future. Have a few more house rules. These are what Airbnb will use should there be any issues with guests (hopefully of course you will not have any). Just a few extra - even though you may think it obvious - it bears repeating again and setting out in the rules section. No extra guests, or visitors other than those listed in the original booking. If you allow smoking on the porch - also state that absolutely no smoking in the house and care must be taken with any smoking remains which must be disposed of carefully (you might think of providing a suitable receptical for use and safety). No fires or candles (depends on your own situation of course, just thought I would thrown that one in as you have a place in the woods). And please consider setting a security deposit (I advise $325) - it is not taken from the guest prior to their stay - it is just a pledge, or token, that Airbnb will utilise IF and when you have a claim submited for any damage/theft (which must be declared within 24 hrs of guest check out). Even if you don't think you would ever have to do so - the psychological suggestion is there for the guest to take care and it does help even in theory.

And perhaps a few more photos - of the woodland nearby and maybe one of the entire room (I am guessing that there are not interior walls as you hint at in the description) and one of the toilet space (not glamorous I know) as with guests - the pictures are what they tend to look at and not read so much - so best to really show everything in the photos to avoid disappointment or complaints after check-in.

Anyway! Enough of my 'advice'! So glad to see a new listing and another Airbnb Host so close by. Please feel free to get in touch if you ever have any questions or need any help, we are in Murphy full-time this year renovating a neighbors cabin, so would be nearby if you ever needed anything, or even a chat!

Best Wishes,

Rachael

Thanks Rachael, I appreciate the advice muchly. I am on it!

When travelling to Ashville (which is quite beautiful) I am looking you up!!!

@Sharon64 Thank you! And please do travel up to the Appalachians one day - it is beautiful and then some.

Although I was specifically replying to @Karen389 and her request for advice on instant book for a 'newbie', I am glad you found some useful stuff in it.

I had a quick peek at your lovely listing and home in Tampa - great pics and it sounds like you have a darling dog as well.

I would just mention one thing on your house rules/description-  at the very end where you mention the security deposit (really good idea to explain how it is charged/not ) - I think it reads better if you were to delete your last line "circumstances have forced me to do this". It really isnt neccessary to explain - and it sort of ends everything on a bad note. So stay positive - no need to ever apologise for protecting your cherished home and asking others to do the same.

Best Wishes.

Virginia9
Level 7
Montego Bay, Jamaica

@Susan21

I know it's been a while since you posted but I was interested in your comment  . . . I looked through your listing and searched your area to see what position it would have in my results. You are correct that it is not coming up in the first few pages. Then I looked through the comments to your post and was suprised to find 10 pages worth! I only viewed about 1/2 of the responses but from what I saw, the topic quickly veered off into complaints regarding search result postritions from other hosts. The only advice I saw was for you to become a superhost, which I had already noted that YOU ARE!

I am as well but with only 18 months as a host, I have no where near the length of experience that you do! However, I have done a fair bit of marketing before becoming a host, and I think I might be able to offer you some insight. 

I check my own listing regularly, compare it to my competitors, etc and I too have felt that my listing should come up higher in search return. I achieved super host status in 9 months and have held it for the same amount of time. I have about 30 reviews, 88% of which are 5 star and I have a 4.9 star overall ranking. When I search my city for 2 guests (my max), my listing is currently coming up as #15 of over 300 "whole house" properties. However, when I add the price filter of $50, I come up in second position. The average nightly price for 2 people is $681. 

My main selling point is my low price, with my ability to teach guests about Jamaica coming a close second. My place honestly has a wonky issues, but the showers are hot, the bed is amazing, and the views are spectacular.  If people are willing to pay more, they can get places within walking distance to downtown and the beach; have a full kitchen rather than a kitchenette; and even get a shared pool. I can't compete with those things, so the only thing I can really do is offer a low price and my personal, unique skill as a host and tour guide. When I see what people charge in North America (where I am from) and I factor in my current world-famous tropical location, I get steamed that they can earn so much while I have to keep my price just a fraction of their's to attract guests. But it's just the way that it is. Many of my local competitors are thrilled to be making any money at all so their prices are honestly so low that it isn't logical! But again - it is what it is.

So my advice, even though you have been in the business a long time and are unquestionably good at it, is to lower your price to attract more guests. The way I look at it is, a lower income regularily totals more than a higher income infrequently. There are over 300 private room listings in your area. The average price for one person is $35, the average for two is $48. You charge $62 and $82. There are 16 other airbnb listing in your community that offer a private room with views and breakfast, have a 5-star listing and are operated by superhosts with an average nightly rate of $39. I suggest you lower your 2 person price to $38. If you rarely have single guests, make $38 your first person rate and set the 2nd person rate to zero. Your competition is stiff!

I think you could also attract more guests if you buy a special topper that converts your beds into a double, and advertise it as a double than can be divided into 2 singles. Lastly, I suggest you decide HOW you want to portray your place, and update your pictures to reflect this. Right now your focus appears to be the mountain view, the location, and your desire to have guests who are cat lovers: preferably seniors. You have some pictures which are gorgeous, but they don't come up until later in your current photo order, and are interspersed with ones that are nowhere near as nice.

If you can't retake your primary image and capture a more clear shot when the trees are green and not loosing their leaves, you might want to make #25, the night shot, your primary one - it is stunning and lets the user know that you have views and a central location. I would remove (or at least change the order of the map, pic #2 to the end), as airbnb provides the general location and you mention it in your written listing; remove #3 & #4; retake #6 (if that is the sea in the distance, you really need a better image and caption, and you should note in your listing that you have mountain AND sea views); put #5 after #7 (when I first saw #5 I thought the bedroom was off the dining room with glass doors and had no privacy);  retake #8 as it is very dreary and place the new shot towards the end of your photos as it is not actually one of the your views); remove #9 as 10 is a much more modern and crisp pic; remove #11 as the office is very cluttered and it is only a common area; remove #13 and #14 and retake #15 so it shows the counter and chairs as they appear in #14 (cosy and inviting!) and remove the dishrack and items on the counter and fridge side, as well as the surplus kitchen utrensil hanging under the mircowave. #16 is a fabulous picture and I would place it closer to the beginning of your list, but it would be even better if the plate had more variety of food on it and the fork was placed on the plate as if someone just paused while eating for you to take the picture!

You mention that a maid is available to do laundry, so even though #17 is beautifully crisp and clear, if you could duplicate the image to include a youthful maid (esp if she wears a unifrom) this will add to the upscale nature of your listing. Pictures 18 thru 20 should be replaced with 2 photos taken without your personal decor, but with some large, plush cushions added to make the space look more comfortable. Maybe you could leave one modern magazine open on sofa with its cover showing, and a cup of tea on the coffee table? Again, this will make the room appear more inviting. Doolies, fake flowers in a ceramic swan and an abundance of antique furniture makes your beautiful space look too formal and very dated. I would suggest focusing more on your cosy, comfortable enlosed verhandah as photo # 22 is also absolutely gorgeous and should be definitely come closer to the beginning of your pictures! Remove #23, and also make mention in your listing that while you have cats, the guest areas are 100% cat and cat-hair free, as many people are afraid of animals, do not care for pets, or are alergic to them. I would also retake #24 or omit it. And I would replace #27 with a shot of your building's exterior, as your description focuses on its unique qualities, and place the doorman image, #26 after the exterior.

I also have a few suggestions to tweak your wording, but as I have no idea if you will appreciate the ideas I have already offered, I will stop here and invite you to message me privately if you should be interested in hearing more.  One last thing, I would change the minimum stay to 3-5 nights unless you find that you are making good money with 1 night guests. Personally I find the amount of work I need to do between guests too much to offset the cost, and I don't feel I have lost any business by having a longer minimum stay.

I sincerely hope these suggestions are received in the same manner that they are given - from the heart and intended to be helpful - GOOD LUCK!

ps: when I modified my search of your community for a superhost with a 2person private room and breakfast, you came up as #1. 😄

@Virginia0 this isn't my listing, but just wanted to say what an amazing group of suggestions.

@Judalon0 Thank you! I hope @Susan21 sees this and finds even one aspect helpful! I find appreciate airbnb for all that it is but sometimes there are definite frustrations. If I can use my modest experience and skills to assist another host, I am happy to do so. 🙂

Mary48
Level 1
Oregon, United States

I have also been a host for a number of years and acheived super host status a couple of years ago.  I have found that AirBNB has always responded promptly to my requests and helped resolve issues.  To be honest, we have never really had a significant issue with a guest.  Minimal damage and most people respect the space.  We also charge a bit more that what AirBNB suggests and we do that to keep the riff raff out.  I have also told inquiring guests that I don't think that our space is appropriate for their needs.

I really think that our high ratings and superhost status are what gives us the volume of rentals that we have.

High ratings make a difference in placement and bookings!